Rutcho's Fullrange Measurements Database

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How was that measured? Outside?
Did you measure other angles too?

That deep notch at 1.5kHz seems to be typical for some Markaudio drivers. I think I've seen it in other measurements before.

Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot about this. Yes it was measured outside raised 6ft up. The mic distance was 0.8m iirc. No smoothing, but there is about an 8msec gate. Sorry, I didn't document this one very well as I've been very busy. I didn't even take an impedance plot. And those were the only angles. Baffle was 7" wide and 10" tall. Intended for desktop use type of thing. So you can see the baffle step losses happening below 1khz.

IME, that dip at 1.5khz is common on MA drivers as is usually associated with a blip on the impedance plot. Turns out, the MA spec sheet does show a blip on the impedance plot right at 1.5khz. The dip is so narrow that it's not audible to me, but the top few octaves have a lot of hash that is audible IMO.

Thanks for the new measurement. I have those drivers. I didn't get the same 3khz peak you did. And the height of the peak at 5.5khz isn't as high on mine either. A lot of similarities otherwise.

This was mine:

There is a lot of of baffle step in both of ours. But the top end has some small differences. The peaks at 3 and 5.5khz are different though. I've measured 6 of these drivers, 3 sets from different histories. All have been pretty similar. Huh, maybe I'll pull mine out for another test. I've changed my gear around a bit. Who knows...

Last edited:
I didn't get the same 3khz peak you did. And the height of the peak at 5.5khz isn't as high on mine either. A lot of similarities otherwise.
Thanks for the comment! I think the difference comes from the different circumstances both measurements were performed. The most important is the front baffle which I think is the reason for the difference in 3Khz. The scale of both measurements is different - in same alignment they will look much closer.

If you get hold of and test the latest Anniversary version of Fostex FE103 that would very useful.
I will do it at earliest convenience.

Recently I measured the legendary

Supravox T215 RTF 64

Thanks for posting the Supravox! One thing I noticed was how similar the shapes of the manufacturers published specs are compared to your curve. Tho smoothed, peaks and dips are in the same places.

Your charts also tell me that speakers don't need to measure flat to sound good. Maybe measuring flat is not the secret to good sound? Distortion, waterfall, etc, also contribute.

I just looked thru some of the charts and noticed many of the more modern drivers (Fostex and Tangband) are smoother. The overall shape of the curve probably gives each speaker its ovarll identity, the distortion and waterfall its charm.

I am fortunate enough to own the TB 1808, 1320 and Fostex 168z. On open baffle, they sound the way your charts look.

1808 - smooth, forward sound
1320 - flat sound with a dip on top
168z - not quite neutral, not as forward as the 1808

When directly compared both TB units sound better (less garbled and more detailed) than the 168z. But for some reason I keep listening to the 168z. It's my 'go to' speaker and long term favorite. It's sound just melts into the air never calling attention to itself.

1808 - smooth, forward sound
1320 - flat sound with a dip on top
168z - not quite neutral, not as forward as the 1808
Yes, my personal listening impressions of the mentioned drivers are almost the same.
What version of the W4-1320 do you have? I am bit surprised of the dip in highs...

But for some reason I keep listening to the 168z.
So do I, for the same reason. I plan to build a compact BVR (short horn) for this driver.

How soon AN's and Sonido ? very interesting in your measurements & personal opinion.

Here is the measurement page for

Audio Nirvana Super8 Cast Frame

Super8 Cast Frame is a bit aggressive in top mids and I prefer to correct it with crossover. This is a slight correction and it does not affect significantly the measurement results, but it made the Super8 Cast's sound much more affordable to my taste.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.