Rutcho's Fullrange Measurements Database

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That Coral looks very special. Can they still be bought from Visaton? I can't seem to even get a modern B80 (tried and waited over 2 months and just have up and cancelled order). It would be really cool if you could make sound clips of all your drivers in the test cabinet with the same song so we can get an idea of the flavor of the sound.

A new driver arrived for tests

Tang Band W8-1916

This driver is a bit strange.
Here you can see how its off-axis performance looks

tang_band_w6_1916_directivity.png

Interesting, isn't it...?

Lorenz S-888 Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

How does this driver have such excellent dispersion characteristics? I assume its the small whizzer affecting the lower treble.

It seems like most of the popular 8" full rangers have terrible dispersion. I look at what can be equalized flat. So good dispersion is more important than flat.

I'm not into the whole vintage thing but this looks better than what's available today

Lorenz S-888 Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

How does this driver have such excellent dispersion characteristics? I assume its the small whizzer affecting the lower treble.

It seems like most of the popular 8" full rangers have terrible dispersion. I look at what can be equalized flat. So good dispersion is more important than flat.

I'm not into the whole vintage thing but this looks better than what's available today

Looks good, but pretty standard overall to me.
It’s the usual about 10dB drop from 8 kHz, when the whizzer takes over.

The University Diffusicone Eight is strange in it’s response but has quite even dispersion. Looks like it might sound good.
The Coral Beta 8 is perhaps the greatest 8 driver ever. Again strange dispersion, with a huge peaks on axis. But just 10 degrees off it sounds very even to about 45. In room it’s nigh on perfect.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.