Rutcho's Fullrange Measurements Database

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Approach could be, take a cheap 8" full range with whizzer, perform a technique to increase rigidness of the whizzer, measure if off axis response has improved.
Possible test bed: Visaton BG20
A mod like this will work on a whizzer that is not stiff enough. It won't improve off-axis response, which depends mostly of cone's geometry, but can increase the sound pressure the upper range. We must not forget, that the varnish we use for this will add some mass to the whizzer too.
Unfortunately I have no method to measure the rigidity of the whizzer.
Alternative Monacor SP-200X though cost/Xmax points to BG20.
I think it is already done on both drivers by the manufacturer, but any successful experiment are welcome.

I added some measurements of four-inch full-range drivers:

Pioneer PE-12

Tang Band W4-1320SB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I updated my speaker measurement database adding

GUI Sound FR222B8 Neodymium driver

I tried to contact GUI Sound by e-mail to verify the particular model, but I received no answer...

Thanks for posting info on the GUI - I haven't heard of it before and looks interesting. Basket reminds me of PRV 5MR450NDY and other xMyyyNDY series drivers. These are listed as mids but could be full range from 200Hz to 15kHz. Great for horn loading too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Great resource rutcho. Thank you!

If I could make a suggestion though. Measure the whole off axis response. It can vary a lot. Especially with wide band drivers. Your measurement of the Coral in two different boxes shows this. There are differences between the graphs that can't be explained by box shape.

FWIW, I used a cheap wind up TT way back when the early microwave ovens required this option
Thank you for the interesting idea! I will try it.
I love the older Sigma line. I listen to the 168z in my bedroom in a large ported box. It bounces along beautifully. Thanks for posting the 108z.
Zilla
I like the FE-168 Sigma too because it does not require back loaded horn to operate properly.
Here is small bass-reflex project with this model.

FE168SigmaBR_F2.jpg

It was designed to be mounted on a particular bookshelf, that's why the proportions are a bit strange.
I have another pair of FE-168 Sigma that I plan to mount in a compact floor-stander in BVR construction.

I've had the 168z in a back horn, BIB, small reflex and large reflex. I prefer the way it sounds in the large reflex box - 42l (1.5cf) - tuned just under 60Hz.

I'm going to put it onto an open baffle in the future (19" x 19") on top of my H-frames.

Will you be adding this driver's measurements to your database? Regardless of what they look like I still really enjoy the sound.

Rutcho - this is an amazing effort! Thanks!

Rutcho's Universal Backloaded horn for different 8-inch fullrange drivers

CLS - as for the Fostex 168z sounding great in a large reflex box. The designer of the driver also designed a large reflex box for it. I never would have thought to put them into a large reflex box because their specs indicate a smaller reflex box. I can't find the link and think it may have been taken down. Maybe someone can post the link.

Here they are:

Fostex FE-168 Sigma

The distortion curves look very good - smooth and low at all.
Maybe that's why this driver sounds so uncolored.
I added detailed off-axis response from 0 to 90 degrees, normalized at 1/3 octave (higher resolution graphics are hard to read).

Fantastic work! Thanks a lot.

Do you plan measuring the other drivers from 0 to 90 degrees as well? I'm curious if the Lorenz is really that well behaved off axis.

Rutcho, thank you very much for a brilliant site!!!! :D
Waiting to see some Lowthers and Markaudio...
I also find your comments at the end of every driver tested very interesting. They give us (who don't own that many drivers) an idea of what to expect.

Interesting to see the change in freq response between 0-40 and 50-90 degrees.
Why is that? (in simple words please :))

Waiting to see some Lowthers and Markaudio...

Here is Markaudio Alpair 10P-A measurement page.

I have not Lowther drivers right now, but I will borrow a pair from a friend and will post the measurements in my page.

Great site!
I see you also have Audio nirvana speakers (not GUI) can you measure this one?
Yes, the Audio Nirvana Super 8 Cast Frame is coming soon.
or they absolutely indentical?
They are not.
The Audio Nirvana were made under the David Dicks specifications and they differ from the GUI models even they look similar.
In your inpression which one better AN or TB 1772 ?
The common is that both drivers can perform loud music without exertion.
The difference is the sound signature. TB is versatile for musical genre while AN is best for rock and electronic music. The best matching amplifies are different too. The break-up of the AN takes really long time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.