Robots and Self driving vehicles are coming!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's what Americans say when they actually mean 'couldn't '

Dan.

Well I learn something new every day!

"The Oxford dictionary already recognizes “could care less” as an American colloquialism. Many people, however, regard it as incorrect since it makes no logical sense (if you “could care less” it means that you care at least a bit)"

Call me a snob if you want, but this Americanism is just another little step towards idiocracy.

As one who travels a couple thousand miles per month, I am troubled that convoys of trucks, a "peloton" as today's NYTimes put it, would travel at 70mph on I-80, I-90, US322 only a few seconds apart. You can be driving along in the winter and a bridge will freeze over in just a few seconds. I have seen 10 or more trucks fallen into a ravine on I-80 after a quick bridge freeze. Been in situtations where the visibility goes to fifty feet all of a sudden.

Trucking industry continuously adapts to new technology. Most of the LTL and TL carriers know where their vehicles in real time, can monitor the operators for fatigue, but, oh-baby is it expensive to retrofit tractors to new diesel standards.

Trucking industry never ceases to amaze me. When I started looking at the business, in the late 1970's, the LTL technology was just getting started. Until Carter de-regulated trucking carriers were required to return trip empty!

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Many of the roads here are single track with passing places, which often requires reversing to a passing place in order to continue. I'd love to see the algorithm that covers the "who is going to reverse" standoff... :D
Similarly, today some f**ktard parked a big truck on a road that is 2 cars wide. To get around it, you had to put 2 wheels on the pavement... That's another real world AI test...

Many of the roads here are single track with passing places, which often requires reversing to a passing place in order to continue. I'd love to see the algorithm that covers the "who is going to reverse" standoff... :D
Similarly, today some f**ktard parked a big truck on a road that is 2 cars wide. To get around it, you had to put 2 wheels on the pavement... That's another real world AI test...

Ah the solution is "Norman Coordinate!" When local AI gets stumped it can phone home for advice. A solution already in stages of implementation.

Self driving vehicles are here. Some are well known ones with attendants.

There were only two automobiles in the state of Ohio when they collided. In the transition from horse to automobile at first drivers had to have a flagman in front to warn horsemen the scary automobile was coming.

The accident rate seems to be much lower than from humans. Current law insures the vehicle not the driver. There certainly will be legal attempts to go after the manufacturers under product liability issues. My betting is those will go the way of the flagman. AI is the future. The interesting issue is what may the liability be of the luddite human who causes one of the excess accidents?

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Ah the solution is "Norman Coordinate!" When local AI gets stumped it can phone home for advice. A solution already in stages of implementation.

Self driving vehicles are here. Some are well known ones with attendants.

There were only two automobiles in the state of Ohio when they collided. In the transition from horse to automobile at first drivers had to have a flagman in front to warn horsemen the scary automobile was coming.

The accident rate seems to be much lower than from humans. Current law insures the vehicle not the driver. There certainly will be legal attempts to go after the manufacturers under product liability issues. My betting is those will go the way of the flagman. AI is the future. The interesting issue is what may the liability be of the luddite human who causes one of the excess accidents?

True enough. As previously observed, motorway road trains will be with us very soon - which will increase the capacity of the roads a lot. But there are lots of roads where the self driving tech is still a long way from being possible, humans still needed.
The best solution would probably be to close certain roads to cars that cannot self drive - motorways, big trunk roads - so the human driver has to hand off control.
It's the mix of human and AI cars on the same road that presents the biggest problem.

But partial self drive is here and it's good - my day to day car has a follow-me mode, where it maintains a distance to the vehicle in front, stops if it does, eg at lights, then moves off again. All you have to do is steer. It's great in traffic!

I drive a motor bike. Fast. Relatively though, my bike is a lot more capable than I am.

Anyone can ride fast on a straight road. On the mostly winding country roads that I look for its an art and perhaps a skill.

The joy is hitting corner "just so" when it feels like you could double the speed without losing it. (And when the panic to wash off speed is palpable when you get it wrong) One needs to sum up the gradient, curve of the corner, camber, condition of the road, the visibility around the corner, other traffic and most importantly, escape routes should something go wrong. All within the couple of seconds when the corner is rushing towards me. Somewhere in there is an assessment of risk too I guess.

I am a risk taker obviously but also successful in that I am still alive after nearly 50 years of riding.

Therefore I hope the mandated control systems arrive after I have fallen off the perch.

I drive a motor bike. Fast. Relatively though, my bike is a lot more capable than I am.

Anyone can ride fast on a straight road. On the mostly winding country roads that I look for its an art and perhaps a skill.

The joy is hitting corner "just so" when it feels like you could double the speed without losing it. (And when the panic to wash off speed is palpable when you get it wrong) One needs to sum up the gradient, curve of the corner, camber, condition of the road, the visibility around the corner, other traffic and most importantly, escape routes should something go wrong. All within the couple of seconds when the corner is rushing towards me. Somewhere in there is an assessment of risk too I guess.

I am a risk taker obviously but also successful in that I am still alive after nearly 50 years of riding.

Therefore I hope the mandated control systems arrive after I have fallen off the perch.

My wife is a famous molecular biologist who did exceedingly well in the maths comprehensive. She drives as if she had never taken calculus.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.