Robots and Self driving vehicles are coming!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amuses me and actually points towards what I was saying as being true.

As a trend the countries with the highest rate of people in education or employment are the ones with the highest taxes and highest amount of welfare.

You could argue that in these countries you'd have even more incentive to try and just be a couch potato, but given free education (I know Sweden has completely free education/uni etc) and a very cushy (read stress free life due to knowing the state will support you if excrement hits the cooling device) and people want to go out and learn/work.

We have our own version of US coastal elites, here in Europe. The reality of Italy will burst our bubble.

5th element said:
Obviously compulsory schooling is necessary to give people basic literacy and numerology, but what I was meaning is that many people end up hating school. They get turned off to education because they don't see themselves as academic and see what school teaches them as utterly pointless.
There is a problem in modern schooling, which is that practical (so-called 'vocational') training and academic education are mixed up together. In order to make the academic stuff 'accessible' it has been dumbed down so that non-academic people can still do it; the result is that it does not stretch or become useful to academic people. The practical stuff has had reams of pseudo-academic stuff added to it (presumably aiming at 'parity of esteem') so that it is beyond some practical people and less useful to them; in my day people could do 'woodwork' (which meant making things with wood, and so learning very useful skills) but today they have to do 'resistant materials' (which seems to mean writing lots of essays about wood etc.). Modern schools are thus a waste of time for bright academic children and skilful practical children; only the boring plodders can survive.

But are they allowed out on their own?

Mail bots now for just around 7 years. Ubers have additional passengers, intervention rate is mostly from boredom.

Many many years ago a new commercial solid state AM transmitter was introduce. The FCC was petitioned to allow these to be used without an engineer standing by at all times as required for all of the vacuum tube transmitters. It was expected that without the babysitting and constant power tweaks the transmitters would only last 5 years compared to the average of 7 years for the older one. Turned out the new ones lasted 12 years without the bored engineer fiddling.

as are Ubers.
?????? Truth is stranger than fantasy. Ed where do you get your information, in about 10min I can find a dozen recent article by experts from MIT, CMU, etc. that opine we are a decade or more off from any volume rollout.

Internal company documents obtained by Recode show that Uber's self-driving cars regularly need human assistance.

The metrics show that Uber's self-driving cars can barely drive a mile before they "disengage," which is when a safety driver has to take control of the vehicle. Compared to company's like Waymo, Alphabet's self-driving-car company, the data shows Uber has a very long way to go before achieving full autonomy.

Uber is conducting a pilot program in Pittsburgh using Ford Fusion cars retrofitted with its autonomous tech. The company attempted to launch another pilot in San Francisco, but was forced to leave after failing to obtain an autonomous driving permit.

Last edited:
The metrics show that Uber's self-driving cars can barely drive a mile before they "disengage," which is when a safety driver has to take control of the vehicle. Compared to company's like Waymo, Alphabet's self-driving-car company, the data shows Uber has a very long way to go before achieving full autonomy.

Good. That means, my relative who went to work for Uber on self-driving vehicles in Arizona facility has good job security for many years ahead. :)

?????? Truth is stranger than fantasy. Ed where do you get your information, in about 10min I can find a dozen recent article by experts from MIT, CMU, etc. that opine we are a decade or more off from any volume rollout.

From the folks across the street and the other ones a few more blocks away. You know the guys actually doing the work.

Then there are the vehicles running around here. I certainly have been behind one for well more than a mile. Only real problems are they drive slow, actually obeying the speed limit and the rubber neckers who also slow things down.

There are at least three different projects around here running at the moment.

A lunch conversation with the guys doing the work is more up to date than an article. In addition folks really do like to keep secrets.

BTY your quote puts Waymo even further ahead.

The best indication I think is where both UPS and Fedex built their new terminals locally. They moved from in the city not too far from each other to different locàtions north from the city. UPS a bit more east. A bit further for the current drivers but much better locations for a more automated delivery.

Last edited:
From the folks across the street and the other ones a few more blocks away. You know the guys actually doing the work.

Their paycheck depends on belief. I guess the head of MIT's autonomous vehicle program does no work. The trolley problem has not been solved, I don't care what anyone says the lawyers are waiting in the wings. Large scale rollout at this time will require government intervention in the normal legal process of torts and liabilities.

Also the hackers have only scratched the surface on causing havoc in the whole process.

Remember the Segway was going to change our lives forever.

Last edited:
BTW Ed I have no idea who Waymo is and could care less. But I will predict millions of miles aside the first time a woman and her baby are victim of a bad trolley problem decision it will be end of story.

IMNSHO autonomous vehicles and drone deliveries will make about as many inroads as the Segway did in the average person's commute.

I does not help that nobody wants them except the usual suspects.

Last edited:
My car already has a mind of its own and tries to tell me what to do.
1/ Wont start without clutch in.
2/ Turns off if I stop out of gear.
3/ Tells me when to change up and down gears.
4/ The sat nav talks to me as well as giving visual indication which way to go.
5/ Plays a tune if I get out with lights still switched on.
6/ Beeps if a door is partly open.
7/ Beeps if seat belt not on.
Its worse than having a nagging wife !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.