resistor comparison test - tantalum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
GRIDSTOPPERS

Hi fellows,

Well put Steve.

I should have perhaps stated more clearly that these serve this particular purpose and will probably be pretty useless for anything else.
No harm done,but would have saved people from posting needlessly.
So my mistake I reckon.

Cheers,;)

Re: GRIDSTOPPERS

fdegrove said:
Hi fellows,

Well put Steve.

I should have perhaps stated more clearly that these serve this particular purpose and will probably be pretty useless for anything else.
No harm done,but would have saved people from posting needlessly.
So my mistake I reckon.

Oh don't be so hard on yourself. You were just quoting from their web site. Merely a pawn caught in the crossfire. :)

se

Hey Eagle1

:) yeah...long time no speak.:)

I have done a lot of the stuff we talked about way back when.

the AD8610/ad8620 has turned out to be a great option in all positions we talked about.

Believe me I tried a few options.:rolleyes:

The situation at present demands that I use Angela's Tantallums because this is a throught hole application.

cheers

:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
TANTS

Hi folk,

I notice people mentioning Cornig tantalum resistors.
Do any of you have a link for me so I can take a look at the datasheets.
A distributor would be fine too.

BTW,there is a company called IRC in Corpus Christi manufacturing tantalum nitride resistors (SMD) and making big claims for them.
Anyone experienced with those?

Thks.

Regards,:)

You beat me to it, Frank! :)

Here's the link to the tants: http://www.venkel.com/pdf/MELF_TFCR.pdf

And at their home page (http://www.venkel.com), there IS a Samples Request button....;)

BTW, they offer a palladium/silver end termination on their other SMT resistors (CR series). One could ask about this option with their tants. AFAICT, stock the Venkel tants have nickel plated end terminations like the IRCs.

Cheers,
Steve

steve jones said:
BTW, they offer a palladium/silver end termination on their other SMT resistors (CR series). One could ask about this option with their tants. AFAICT, stock the Venkel tants have nickel plated end terminations like the IRCs.

Why are you worried about a few microns of nickel plating over copper but not worried about the tantalum nitride they're using for the actual resistive element? Or the palladium they're alloying the silver with?

se

Steve Eddy said:

Why are you worried about a few microns of nickel plating over copper but not worried about the tantalum nitride they're using for the actual resistive element? Or the palladium they're alloying the silver with?

se

Nickel's magnetic. "Eddy" currents, doncha you know.:cheeky:

Not as prejudiced against the other nonmagnetic elements or alloys.

Steve

Re: TO STEVE 1 STEVE 2 AND SO ON.

fdegrove said:
Hi Steve,err.. Steve Eddy,

You have got a point there,shall we start a round on Peltier effects or is that a bad idea?
Ok,ok metal to metal is one thing,alloys quite an other.

Ok. For me, the only "thing" is how the end result sounds and over the years I've learned not to prejudice myself against certain things even if I may have had bad experiences with them in other applications in the past. It's led to some rather interesting surprises.

se

steve jones said:

Nickel's magnetic. "Eddy" currents, doncha you know.:cheeky:

Not as prejudiced against the other nonmagnetic elements or alloys.

Hate to break the news to you, but eddy currents are part and parcel of all electrical conductors. In fact, the better the conductor (i.e. the greater its electrical conductivity) the worse things are in terms of eddy currents. So if you're worried about eddy currents, stay away from the better conductors such as silver and copper. They're far far worse than nickel in terms of eddy currents.

se

whoa

what the hell is going on here? i go away from the thread for a few days and i come back and look what happens...

anyway i'm rounding up resistors pretty soon, going to put orders in at Michael Percy, Mouser, Handmade Electronics, and digikey probably end of the week. last chance to nominate your favorite resistor.

btw: i originally had Vishay S102 on my list but took it off. i simply refuse to pay $6.75 for a single resistor, no matter how good it is. i'm too cheap. i did however include the cheaper VSH, which is still bulk foil but a more reasonble $3.75.

i'm sorry, but the :grouphug: icon is simply the gayest thing i have ever seen here. (no offense to gay people, i mean that in the popular american slang sense, you know, like in that TV show South Park... er, hm, i dunno if they show that in Belgium, i know they have it in France...) anyway that should be :censored:

:p

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Some more hand holding

Here goes for the I don't know how many times.....

http://www.surplussales.com/Resistors/MF7870-15k.html

For example:

RMF00010000R0RF 10k Ohm Vishay S102C .1% .6w 1.75
RMF00009100R0FB 9,100 Ohm Caddock MK132 1% .75w 1.50
RMF00018700R0RF 18.7k .1% .3w Vi 5ppm RNC90Y 3.50

There are lot's of resistors to try here for cheap.

I hear that the VSH are not very good and I would not pay that kind of money for them. Better to spend real money for something very good than half that for trash.

Nevermore,
Fred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.