resistor comparison test - tantalum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Angela's Tantallums

:tilt: Daniel,

I remember your recommendation, but I didn't realize that Partsconnexion's Holcos were magnetic.

I know that the Vishays are more pure, but I prefer a slightly warmer sound in my system anyway. May not be as accurate, but gives me more pleasure more of the time.

Anyway the if the Angela's Non magnetic Tantallums are more accurate than the Holcos then I am on the a winner either way.:rolleyes:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
I forgot to tell you...

Sorry Steve,

I happen to know that since they are customers of my partners' company.
The silver and copper spools come from him.
We visited them a few times and they showed these resistors too.
My first reaction was:ha,but these must be inductive unless...
That's how I know.

Again sorry,;)

Re: I forgot to tell you...

fdegrove said:
Sorry Steve,

I happen to know that since they are customers of my partners' company.
The silver and copper spools come from him.
We visited them a few times and they showed these resistors too.
My first reaction was:ha,but these must be inductive unless...
That's how I know.

Ah, ok.

Well, they WILL be inductive. The Ayrton-Perry winding scheme doesn't eliminate inductance. Just reduces it over what it would be with a straight wind. And they'll be far more inductive and more capacitive than typical wirewounds because they're having to use a hell of a lot more wire and a hell of a lot more winds than if they were using a high resistance wire such as Nichrome.

So it depends which you hate most. Inductance and capacitance or Nichrome. :)

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
TOILETPAPERROLLS

Dorkus,

"Inductive grid stoppers are however less common, especially silver wired ones.

That is why we decided to offer air core silver inductors that are to be used as inductive grid stoppers.

We use air core to avoid distorsions that appear with ferrite beads.

The inductance value is in the mHy range and the DCR about 35 Ohms.

These grid stoppers really make a big difference when used with high quality tube equipment:
low pass for HF protection of input tubes or power tubes
damping of oscillations
tremendous increase in resolution of musical signals
2.5 uHy/ 35 Ohms DCR"

Data from their site.

Cheers,;)

Re: Angela's Tantallums

PhopsonNY said:
:tilt: Daniel,

I remember your recommendation, but I didn't realize that Partsconnexion's Holcos were magnetic.

Hi PhopsonNY! A long time since we chat!

I've never really liked Holco, even when they where non-magnetic. The kind of tin and in the same time, slightly warm doesn't really made it to me. Add the fact the body is not rugged, I put them appart.

I know that the Vishays are more pure, but I prefer a slightly warmer sound in my system anyway. May not be as accurate, but gives me more pleasure more of the time.

The actual state of digital recording on commercial disk call for a bit of warming of the sound, in most system. What I want to know, is what type of Dale resistor that LAMM use. Anybody knows? 'Cause the standard brown RN serie sucks. No wonder, after two unsuccesfull project, I tried, in a flash, to pass a magnet over the bunch. No surprise, they are magnetic. The vitreanous blue one are less magnetic and less harsh too.

Anyway the if the Angela's Non magnetic Tantallums are more accurate than the Holcos then I am on the a winner either way.:rolleyes:

Yes, they are better. Steve Eddy have brought up a another Tatalum option you may try first.

I see many post here about Corning Tatalum. Are they in current production or NOS?

Regards,
Daniel Trudeau

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Grid stopers

"damping of oscillations.......The inductance value is in the mHy range and the DCR about 35 Ohms."
Hmmm a capacitive input in series with a large inductor:radar:....... Hey wait a minute here!:faint:

Good one, you had me going for about 5 seconds. Maybe this is the new physics to go along with the new math I hear so much about......:spin:

And I'm the practical joker of the forum?:joker:

Grid stoppers indeed,:tons:
post-HH

Re: Grid stopers

Fred Dieckmann said:
"damping of oscillations.......The inductance value is in the mHy range and the DCR about 35 Ohms."
Hmmm a capacitive input in series with a large inductor:radar:....... Hey wait a minute here!:faint:

Good one, you had me going for about 5 seconds. Maybe this is the new physics to go along with the new math I hear so much about......:spin:

Not new physics. Just bad use of terminology.

They don't damp oscillation so much as prevent oscillation.

The purpose of the grid stopper is to form a low pass filter to keep ultrasonic interference out of the input and prevent the circuit from going unstable and oscillating.

Using resistive grid stoppers (which work in conjunction with the grid capacitance) requires higher values of resistance to bring down the cutoff point of the resulting RC filter but that added series resistance also attenuates the audio band signal you want to preserve.

The inductive grid stopper results in a steeper second order rolloff but has a DC resistance and inductance low enough that it has minimal effect at audio frequencies.

Also, that 35 ohms of DC resistance will assure that the resulting low pass filter function will be well damped. Overdamped even. Which means there will be no resonant peaks near the cutoff point.

So while they didn't phrase their claims too well, the physics behind it are sound.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.