• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote control kits

Passive Attenuator Project

Mikkel:

In the above config, which board supports the remote mute, phase reverse, and tape loop? I think I may need another board. Also, will the instructions show me how to wire it so that these functions may be selected at the base?

Last question: With a TVA approach, the desire is to eliminate as much circuitry as possible to allow a pure signal to pass. As I understand it, with your boards the signal will only pass through a relay -- is this correct? Is your relay as good as a high quality switch such as an Elna or a Shalco?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Passive Attenuator Project

mike_mcf said:
In the above config, which board supports the remote mute, phase reverse, and tape loop?

Mute works by selecting the ground tap on the transformer. The phase and tape loop relays are not on the board, but there is a header on the attenuator board for connecting them.

Also, will the instructions show me how to wire it so that these functions may be selected at the base?

No, not at the base. The VolControl2 board only has the encoder for setting the volume. So the other functions can only be selected by the remote. If you need to change those setting on the front panel also, you can use the Control1 or 2.

Last question: With a TVA approach, the desire is to eliminate as much circuitry as possible to allow a pure signal to pass. As I understand it, with your boards the signal will only pass through a relay -- is this correct? Is your relay as good as a high quality switch such as an Elna or a Shalco?

It passes through two relays actually. That way the number of relays needed is halved. Whether you use relays or rotary switches the signal passes through gold-plated silver switches. I can't really see what difference it makes where the switches are placed...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Mikkel:

I'm not thrilled with the Control1 board. I think I will have more design flexibility with the Control2, so I'll go with that. So it controls both the RelVol2 and the VolControl2? Will the one PSU power all of that? Do I just add the Control2 to the order?

Michael

PS: I'm glad to hear about the high quality relay contacts!

mike_mcf said:
So it controls both the RelVol2 and the VolControl2?

No, if you use the Control2 you don't need the VolControl2. You need a display for the Control2 for setup (any LCD like a 1*16), but you don't need it for use if you don't want it.

Will the one PSU power all of that?

Yes.

Do I just add the Control2 to the order?

Yes, and you should probably add a control panel type 1 also - since you wanted front panel controls for the mute/phase switching.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Passive Attenuator Project

Mikkel:

The LCD displays look too small to be seen across the room. Are there larger HD44780 displays available? I couldn't find any.

I assume that the VolControl2 display is large enough to view across the room. Could it be used with the Control2 just to get the encoder and display?

Michael

You can find quite a few VFD's of larger size but they cost. I did find larger LCD's but I cannot find the url now I'm afraid, they were not much bigger though.

The blue display from Dantimax is a little hard to read at distance, for me it starts to become hard to read at 5ft plus.

A bar graph for volume would be cool, I can see the display fine just not make out the numbers clearly. It could switch back to numbers once you have finished adjusting. Maybe not possible though!

I think your best bet is to get a high contrast one, I've seen some red text on black background ones and they look much easier on the eye. All the geeks like me want blue, but infact it is not the clearest!

Like this : http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/2002a-color/CFAH2002A-RMC-JP_front.jpg

Matrix Orbital have a nice choice too : http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.php?cName=lcd-mop-character-lcds

Re: Passive Attenuator Project

mike_mcf said:
The LCD displays look too small to be seen across the room. Are there larger HD44780 displays available? I couldn't find any.

Yes, you can get them much bigger. They cost a fortune though. I can check the prices for you. I have though about making a 1-line display using alphanumeric LED displays though. That wouldn't be cheap either, but it may be cheaper still.

I assume that the VolControl2 display is large enough to view across the room. Could it be used with the Control2 just to get the encoder and display?

I have made a small board with two displays for showing just the volume setting, if that's what you want.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I have looked at some larger LCDs. The standard type has a character height of 5.55mm. I can get types with 7.76mm and 9.55mm characters also. The 9.55mm type is about twice the cost of the standard types, and the 7.76mm type is somewhere inbetween. My supplier has the green ones in stock, but other colours are available also of course.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Here are the dimensions of the largest size:

LCD955.gif

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I assume it is green with a black background? What is the price?

What is the size of the display included in VolControl2?

Could VolControl2 be used with Control2?

I will be using the RelVol2 with a 20-step S&B TX-102 TVA. The TX-102 is non-linear at the top and bottom (ie the steps are bigger than they are in the middle). Does the display show the actual attentuation level in dB, the tap on the TX-120, or is it an approximation of the level? Ideally, I would like the display to show the actual attentuation or gain of the transformer.

Mike

mike_mcf said:
I assume it is green with a black background? What is the price?

No, it's the standard black text on green background type. The price is €32 including VAT (so 25.6 for you).

What is the size of the display included in VolControl2?

It's the standard MAN74-type DIL displays. The actual display is 0.3" - the orange type is slightly larger at 0.4"

Could VolControl2 be used with Control2?

No. I made a two-digit display for the RelVol1/3, and since they are binary you only have to monitor six signals to make a display. For a 20-step RelVol2 attenuator there would be 11 relays (per channel) to monitor. I could make a display like that, if you want one, but I think using a larger LCD (or VFD) would be simpler.

I will be using the RelVol2 with a 20-step S&B TX-102 TVA. The TX-102 is non-linear at the top and bottom (ie the steps are bigger than they are in the middle).

Do you have the transformers? It seems S&B recently changed their transformer design, so they have 24 steps now. The datasheet on their website still showed 20 steps last time I checked though.

Does the display show the actual attentuation level in dB, the tap on the TX-120, or is it an approximation of the level? Ideally, I would like the display to show the actual attentuation or gain of the transformer.

The VolControl2 shows step numbers. The Control2 could show the actual attenuation, if I can figure out what that actually is ;)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Transport CD unit

LuisMCP said:
I am thinking about replacing its CDM-12 transport by your CD-PRO2M in place, but I am not sure if these machines are both compatible 100%.

I'm not sure either. This is what Philips has to say about it: "Still, the CD-Pro2M remains 100% compatible, electrically and mechanically, with its predecessors (CD-Pro2, CD-Pro and CDM12 Industrial). In other words, one should be able to replace a CDM12 Industrial module by a CD-Pro2M in its existing application without any problem."

But what is the difference between the CDM12 and the CDM12 Industrial?

I guess if it looks like the CD-Pro2M will fit in your player, and the connectors are the same, it should work. The connectors on the Pro2M are 4-pin power, 6-pin DSA control, 6-pin I2S, 4-pin audio, 2-pin S/P-DIF.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Re: Transport CD unit

mcs said:

I'm not sure either. This is what Philips has to say about it: "Still, the CD-Pro2M remains 100% compatible, electrically and mechanically, with its predecessors (CD-Pro2, CD-Pro and CDM12 Industrial). In other words, one should be able to replace a CDM12 Industrial module by a CD-Pro2M in its existing application without any problem."

But what is the difference between the CDM12 and the CDM12 Industrial?

I guess if it looks like the CD-Pro2M will fit in your player, and the connectors are the same, it should work. The connectors on the Pro2M are 4-pin power, 6-pin DSA control, 6-pin I2S, 4-pin audio, 2-pin S/P-DIF.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Mikkel,

Thanks for your very valuable support.

best regards,

luis.