QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Which graphic subsystem on that machine? Are the drivers current? Which version of Direct X?

Computers bring the problem of variations and bugs galore. Sometimes they only surface when a developer uses an obscure but legitimate way to "paint" a screen. It also happens too often with browsers. Some of the pictures posted here force a reload of the page to continue for some reason. Its just the way of things today.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The USB now works very well on this one PC -using the latest software version. No problems with usb connection on this desk-top PC.

I do think that the current draw is an important point to recognise with portable PC/battery use.

And, apparently, many USB 2.0 cables are just made for printers with no regard to high speed use.

Working on the left-right scrolling issue next per Matt at QA.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Good news !

Good news! No more missing right side of panel !!
Now I can use any display text size for my tired old eyes and the QA400 control panel is not affected.
Works great now ! I'm a happy camper once again.

Use the new version put up today --- v1.058

THX-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No extra boards now. I need to get back to this (maybe this week). Too much real work getting in the way.

You can extract a BOM from the schematic (which I need to update). I have attached the last version for reference. When I( last looked at this there were some nagging questions about gains and Matt at QA had revised a file to fix the issues but I have not tested it yet. I am currently bypassing the gain switches and all works fine for most applications but it still needs testing.

Attachments

• QA400 BOM.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Yeah, I know the feeling about 'real work' getting in the way. Most of the time, life is in the way of my hobby!

Thanks for the updated information. I don't have a QA400 yet, but I would like to purchase one (currently using ARTA and a crappy USB interface). As nice as the Pete Millet interface is, I don't quite need that much. I would like to have a simple interface for high voltage device (power amps) and it looks like you have just about finished that.

I'll be more than happy to purchase a board from you if this moves forward. I'm not such a fan of surface mount builds, but if that is what has to happen for size, I understand.

Thanks for keeping this on your radar.

Dave

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have a related question to the assembled intelligence here:

My lab PC causes a lot of hf garbage on my equipment ground. Even with the scope probe connected to its ground clip, and nowhere else, do I have a lot of 50-Hz synchronised switching noise, presumable from the PC switching power supply (it's gone when I switch off the PC).

Does anybody have a sure-fire way to get rid of it, short of building a complete linear power supply for the PC (it has crossed my mind...)?
Are there such things as (effective) mains filters for this purpose?

jan

I just asked at the end of this thread on another forum. If there's a "quieter" PC SMPS, or even a linear one, recording would be the biggest market for it, and these people would be the most likely to know about it:

Website for optimizing computer performance for Audio - Page 4 - Gearslutz.com

It might be helpful to modify the power supply, put 0.1uF high-voltage ceramic caps across each diode in the primary bridge, add a big ferrite on every wire just before it exits the box, that sort of thing.

But nowadays with everything running on USB, a battery-powered laptop is probably The Solution.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A linear supply for a desktop PC would be a losing proposition. There is a grey area between laptops and desktops with ITX board that can run on less power. You will still have switching supplies on the motherboard and linear regulators for those probably won't work if you could build them.

If you keep the total power under 100W or less (not hard if you don't need gamer graphics or dual I7's etc.) this Habey HB-LR1007-60W Accessories - Newegg.com plus a 12V linear will get you close. The other option is a big isolation transformer. Even if the PC is isolated you still have a monitor to deal with. . .

My lab PC causes a lot of hf garbage on my equipment ground. Even with the scope probe connected to its ground clip, and nowhere else, do I have a lot of 50-Hz synchronised switching noise, presumable from the PC switching power supply (it's gone when I switch off the PC).
Does the hash reduce or go away if you remove the probe from the input and short the input to ground with the input switch?

Also you might try removing the probe long ground lead and short the probe tip to the grounding ferrule on the probe with a very short wire wrap or probe grounding accessory to see if your long ground lead is picking up most of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

Does anybody have a sure-fire way to get rid of it, short of building a complete linear power supply for the PC (it has crossed my mind...)?

jan

yes. Use a high quality (ground) isolation transformer on the PC. Such, those made by Topaz. Check their spec's on the www for the Ultra-Isolation series . Or one of their conditioners with isolation. These are Not made like regular isolation transformers.... these have extream (Ultra) rejection characteristics.

-RNM

Ultra-Isolation XFMR.JPG

[About $150 USD on EBay.]

Last edited:

jan

Hi Jan,

In this context, one thing I've observed is that my Agilent 8 Gs/s DSO is actually internally PC-based. It actually has a fairly standard-looking motherboard in it, and I'm sure the main power supply is a variant of a PC switcher. The scope is vintage 2000 and the OS is a custom version of Windows 98 (yes, a disadvantage). Anyway, with all that bandwidth and sensitivity, it does not show a noise problem.

As someone else mentioned, even if you go to a linear supply to replace the ATX switcher, you still have a handful of Point-of-Load switching supplies on the motherboard to get all of the different voltages modern ICs require (sometimes down to 0.9V and at currents in the 10's of amperes). These POL switchers are non-isolated and operate at fairly high switching rates in at least the mid hundreds of kHz. So they are likely to be less problematic and certainly will not create any 60Hz-related noise bursts.

Cheers,
Bob