Pumpkin Shunty begins....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Didn't screw 'sinks to PCB. Mounted semis to 'sinks then soldered to PCB with insulator under 'sinks. Offcuts of cable ties worked nicely as spacers/insulators under 'sinks.

Maybe I am misunderstanding here, so your heat sinks are supported by the legs of the semis? Well, besides sitting on the insulator material?

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zenmod, what say you regarding mounting of sinks? Lord knows I am not the brightest bulb on the porch but I assumed those holes in boards (silkscreen of large heatsinks) were for putting screws through?

I had planned on drilling/tapping like grimburg outlined, with nylon washers underneath.

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it is supposed that heatsinks are firmly mounted on pcb

that's simply safer and proper way of doing things

however , if you skip that , that's your choice - hopefully deliberate and conscious

same as you can go to insane overkill , when making things for yourself , you can also cut some corners

example - as I wrote in Cookbook - you don't need those exact heatsinks - use properly sized Al sheets ... then arranging their mounting on pcb is certainly even more complicated ( adequate L brackets/angles) , or you don't mount them at all on pcb itself

conclusion - if you're sure that parts legsa re properly soldered , that you didn't stressed them in mounting and soldering process ( same applies to pcb pads) - feel free to leave heatsinks sorta flying

also - observe fact that Jimbo at least supported heatsink weight by nylon strips as spacers

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, I think it is more clear now. I have the stated sinks on the way. As much as I don't enjoy tapping and all, I think I feel better that way.

My F5 used Peter's boards, smaller than business card. They hung "dead bug" style off the legs of MOSFETs.

Once I have them in hand, maybe not such a big deal. I'm sure Jimbo made a sound decision, and we all know I detest drill-tap routine, but do what I gotta do.

Thanks grimburg, Jimbo, and Zenmod!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zenmod, minor setback, when I unwrapped the transistors, the tape holding the matched sets had dried out and a few fell out. I will photograph the lot, so I can figure out which goes with which, I'm not sure where a few go. A few will have to be measured (not difficult from what I see, just never had to do it before) to determine what is matched with what. Only some of the smaller ones came loose, most stayed in place despite the sticky drying up. Too tired to start tonight...

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Other detail to avoid stressing legs was to not tighten semi to sink screws until after legs soldered.

Yes I picked up on that, my concern (which may not be a concern at all) was the stress put on them from the weight of the heat sink, which would really (if at all) would have been an issue moving it around. I have a feeling these sinks don't have as much weight as the word "heatsink" seems to impart.

Russellc

I am sure you have seen posts from members reporting that suddenly, after so many months or even years, a piece of DIY gear failed inexplicably. Those who report the solution often mention cold solder joints and poor mechanical assembly as the root cause. Most, I presume, are too embarrassed to explain why it happened.
To me building DIY audio gear is a chance to sample different design ideas, and I often move them in and out of my main system. Occasionally I also transport them to a friend's house for a music listening session. All that movement put some stress on all parts.
DIY audio does not need to involve shoddy work. Cut corners at you own peril!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, Sinks arrived today from Poland. 3 days, amazing, go DHL express! Plus rest of mail had my transformers from Antek.I am beginning to sort the 1/4 watt resistors for shunty, and soldering them in after double check on everything.

Now to arrange transistors for photo, so I can sort them out, and "rematch" the ones that came free from tape.

Russellc

shunty parts order done!

With some valuable help (see photo) I have finally sent the order for the Shunty parts (caps, resistors, transistors, asst others from parts list)! Ended up going with Mouser (after trying Newark), managed to find what I wanted there. My matched and other transistors ago did stay in the tape, so that was a bit of luck. Next, volume and input switches...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tod

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Found error on "BOM"

Say, I know you are using same BOM, it appears it lists R10, 10a, 11,11a as 6.81k, while cookbook shows (correct of course) it as 33k. 6.8k should be R9, 9a, 26, 26a. Looks like they skipped the 33k..Also don't show R9, 9a, 26, 26a at all.

Russellc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.