power cord break-in or burn-in is there such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

" I have never heard a difference and I sold Hi-Fi part time for several years. .."

- well, after visiting some hifi-shops through the years that doesn`t come as a surprise. Not at all...:rolleyes: :D

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was a hifi-rookie, couldn`t hardly hear any differences between cables, and powercords? Madness, wasn`t it the same current anyway? :confused:
Well, that was then, now I`ve become a "guru" myself, at least on some aspects. Like powercords, cables a.s.on.:rolleyes:

:cop:

PaleRider: Irrespective of the merits of arguments (and as a moderator, I do NOT censor or pass judgement on that), name-calling is clearly outside of the scope of the rules. That's the only thing I eliminated from your post.

For informational purposes, I distinguish my statements as a moderator from those as a normal member by using the :cop: icon.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Peter Daniel said:
Being a student, you should show some more open mind (ness), you know.

you should be less open minded if you aren't a student?

Peter Daniel said:
Most of us here are not stdents anymore.;)

being a student or not has nothing to do with one's ability to speak logically.

PaleRider said:
On the other hand, discovering the potential of a simple thing like using solid powercables was one of my biggest jaw-dropping experienses, I really couldn`t belive my ears :eek:

you need to take home a GE F9 turbine and set up your own power gen before you can truly drop your jaw. Just listen to the music flowing from that smooth sounding turbine and you will hear music like you have never heard of it before.

Until you do that, you haven't discovered music.

:)

SY said:
:cop:

Paleface, I edited out a gratuitous personal insult from your post. That sort of thing is out of bounds.

Huh? Gratuitous personal insults aren't allowed?

Well hell, I was just going to give this one to you, it being the holiday season and all, but hey, rules are rules.

SY, I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

That'll be $5 please.

se

What about power supply transformer break-in or burn-in?

Power cords could have about 10 ft. total of copper wire but power supply transformers may contain 200 ft. or more of solid copper wire with very thin insulation, unshielded and untwisted...

So any effect happening in a power cord will happen 20 times stronger in a power supply transformer [but to figure out this you must know how a transformer is made and how it works...]

What about loudspeaker mounting screw break-in or burn-in?

And what about the break-in process of the carpet placed on the floor in the listening room and its walls, ceiling and floor?

It should be much more important since it reflects sound directly from your speakers to your ears or absorbs it ... :D

How could anybody hear power cords if they didn't even complain about the tremendous sound quality loss caused by reflected sound coming from the walls, ceiling and floor?

In a listening room I only hear reverberation, vibrations, reflected high frecuencies from everywhere and lots of comb filtering from midbass and bass reaching me through diferent pathways of different lenght [direct, various walls, floor, ceiling, etc...]

No more power cord crap please, this is for people that have no better things to hear :eek:

PaleRider:
Well, that was then, now I`ve become a "guru" myself, at least on some aspects. Like powercords, cables a.s.on
Darth PaleRider: Once I was but the learner but now I am the master guru!
Obiwan DrG: Only a master of snake oil, Darth.
Darth PaleRider: You should not have come back.
Obiwan DrG: If you strike me down I shall become a more conductive power-cord than you can possibly imagine.
[loud crackling and buzzing sounds as the power-cord sabres power up and lock in battle followed by lenghty hours of intense cord-play]
Darth PaleRider: Damn you're a tenacious old fart, Obiwan DrG! You don't know the power-cord of the dark side... I MUST obey my ego!
Obiwan DrG: Luke Shytetalker says there is still good in you, but I'm not so sure... you're more evil power cord than man now, twisted and run-in.
[even louder crackling as devilish purple lightning bolts emanate from Darth PaleRider's fingers, attempting to induce measurable distortion in Obiwan DrG's power-cord, driving him to agony...]
Obiwan DrG: Noooo... anything but that, pleeeeaase!!!
[crash, bang and Emperor EE_Mark enters the room armed with a GE F9 gas turbine and you guessed it, a standard NASA power-cord, dazzling and stunning Darth PaleRider]
Darth PaleRider: Is that what I think it is?
Emperor EE_Mark: Sure is.
Darth PaleRider: Noooooooooooooo.....
[Emperor EE_Mark tosses Darth PaleRider headlong into the turbine intake: kazam! shred! shriek! ouch! An amazing catharsis occurs... DP collapses in a heap of cold reality]
Darth PaleRider: Obiwan, you were right. Tell the forum you were riiighhtt...
[sad music etc]

If someone says something "sounds better" they should be able to explain how or why it sounds better. In my mind, there is NO justification for exotic power cords. If anything, put few bucks towards a better transformer. If you use a good gauge which shouldn't cost you much at all, everything will be fine. Now, is anybody who is willing to argue with me, also willing to take a blindfold test between powercords and feel confident about it?

Focused esoterical problem

Gentlemen, already several days you are talking about think, which is in my opinion unimportant and you are comparing thinks which are uncomparated . Every realy scientific tests are based on accurate description of testing method and if is possible also on mathematical or statistic analyse. Statement against statement without proof, when both sides appealed on logical thinking, have one problem - some people have not logical thinking :whazzat:, unfortunately in this community too. All this problem is artificialy extended, 'cos for somebody is it good business. When man buy this " miracle " cord, certainly he will not talking, that was buy " lemon " - his words will be " you are deaf ".

Upupa Epops:
When man buy this " miracle " cord, certainly he will not talking, that was buy " lemon " - his words will be " you are deaf ".
And there you have it again, in a nutshell. I couldn't agree more. Whether it's dollars invested or time building a special PC (or both), few if any of us could admit to ourselves that there is no difference... "there MUST be something" says the brain and our dutifully compliant ears say "sure here you go, it sounds a little more X or Y"...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Whether it's dollars invested or time building a special PC (or both), few if any of us could admit to ourselves that there is no difference... "there MUST be something" says the brain and our dutifully compliant ears say "sure here you go, it sounds a little more X or Y"...

That is assuming you actually have to buy it to be able to listen to it.

Time invested in building something may be of influence to the more inflated egos amongst us....:D

Cheers,;)

fdegrove:
That is assuming you actually have to buy it to be able to listen to it.
I guess you could always steal it...
Time invested in building something may be of influence to the more inflated egos amongst us....
I wonder who you're referring to? Considering your stance on cord magic this allegation of inflation may very well hold true for your own ego...

millwood said:

Seriously, what does high-fidelity quality audio does for space exploration?

zipo, like using Egyptian maple cases for your amp.

or anyother exotic parts, for that matter.
One of the local FM stations here airs morning traffic reports from an airplane over the city.
These live audio transmissions are outstandingly good quality and perfectly intelligible.
The NASA audio transmissions are hopelessly bad quality in comparison.

Eric.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I guess you could always steal it...

Yes you could...there's also another possibility: "Try before you buy" maybe not in SA....

I wonder who you're referring to?

What makes you think I'm referring to anyone?

Considering your stance on cord magic this allegation of inflation may very well hold true for your own ego...

And what exactly would that stance be?

If the shoe fits...???

Cheers,:D

Status
Not open for further replies.