power cord break-in or burn-in is there such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Feeds DO Matter.............

The only egos being displayed here are by those who refuse to understand that power cables can make a sonic difference.
Those who do hear and understand these sonic differences are perfectly comfortable with the fact, and those who cannot hear these difference might like to take a closer look at their systems or their mode of listening.
As far as I am concerned and experienced, power cables can impart a primary character/signature to a system, that downstream tweaks cannot eliminate.
I can easily and instantly modify the sound of three phase master power feeds to big PA systems, and the sonic effect is clearly discernable in A/B comparisons.
Some of you need to get with it and understand this simple fact, and then you can move on an get your system to properly sing.
In my experience a system can never properly sing with a rotten sounding power cord.

Eric.

Re: Power Feeds DO Matter.............

mrfeedback said:
The only egos being displayed here are by those who refuse to understand that power cables can make a sonic difference.
Eric.

the amount of money you'd spend on power cables would get you 2 box seats in the Grand Parterre of the Metropolitan Opera, and if you could hear Ruth Ann Swenson sing Violetta in "Traviata" you would put down your mortal cables and hear an immortal voice.

It's all about the ******* music!

Audio Quality

mrfeedback said:

One of the local FM stations here airs morning traffic reports from an airplane over the city.
These live audio transmissions are outstandingly good quality and perfectly intelligible.
The NASA audio transmissions are hopelessly bad quality in comparison.

Eric.

Those guys in the Australian airplanes have WAY better power cords than NASA has!

Power Feeds Still Matter.............

jackinnj said:
the amount of money you'd spend on power cables would get you 2 box seats in the Grand Parterre of the Metropolitan Opera, and if you could hear Ruth Ann Swenson sing Violetta in "Traviata" you would put down your mortal cables and hear an immortal voice.

It's all about the ******* music!
Sure.
I just spent all weekend at a country town blues music fest listening to live blues music, and of couse replay systems are not the same.
Interesting thing though is that these live PA systems can be nicely subjectively improved by power cable treatments.

The very last person on the planet to spend hundreds of dollars and more on a mains cables is me.
$5.00/meter for good sounding power cable is a different matter though.

Eric.

Some of you need to get with it and understand this simple fact, and then you can move on an get your system to properly sing.

We all acknowledge the fact that a cord of good gauge is required to efficiently pass current. My personal preference for my amps are computer cords, the ones that plug into AT/ATX power supplies and monitors. They work great for any amp 400w or less, I'm confident that you will fail an A/B test between a computer cord and any magic cord you can get your hands on. If a tiny voltage drop across your transformer's primaries is audible in the output, than you should really consider re-designing your amp.

Do you realize that the power in the wall isn't always the 115VAC you believe it to be? A more logical argument from you would be blaming microwave ovens or air conditioners in your house for degraded sound quality. They'll cause more voltage drop than any $5 power cord ever could.

But I would never expect the corksniffers of the audio world to see the big picture. Go spend $500 for a magic cord to connect your $50 transformer to the $0.20/ft copper stuff in your wall and tell me it makes all the difference in the world.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

My personal preference for my amps are computer cords, the ones that plug into AT/ATX power supplies and monitors.

Since you prefer these PC cords over other run of the mill ones that actually implies you hear a difference between them...which puts you straight into the group of people you accuse of corksniffing.

Go spend $500 for a magic cord to connect your $50 transformer to the $0.20/ft copper stuff in your wall and tell me it makes all the difference in the world.

Nobody ever said it had anything to do with money in the first place.

Cheers,;)

Since you prefer these PC cords over other run of the mill ones that actually implies you hear a difference between them...which puts you straight into the group of people you accuse of corksniffing.

PC cords ARE run of the mill. It doesn't imply that I hear anything. It implies that at any given moment, I can find 10 of them in my house so I just grab one and chop it. They are of good quality and gauge so I use them. It's that simple, I don't know how much more run of the mill you can get. It's just the fact that PC cords are detachable unlike TV/VCR/Toaster oven cords. Understand me?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

PC=personal computer. I didn't think you'd confuse PC with power cord since I always follwed "PC" with the word "cord", so yes "personal computer cord".

O.K. but what makes you think PC cords are in any way better than others apart from power ratings?

That's the part that escapes me, really...are they built differently in the U.S?

Cheers,;)

O.K. but what makes you think PC cords are in any better than others apart from power ratings?

Well let's see, it's three prongs and thick wires. Aside from being inexpensive, durable, able to carry good amounts of current and abundant, they're not too special. There doesn't HAVE to be anything special about a power cord, it's just a power cord. What I am saying is that this cord at around $4.99 USD will do just as good as any other similarly rated cord costing $1000.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
SY said:
They're better because we normally have a bunch of them laying around, free for the taking.

And they're Politically Correct.

SY... you are totally KILLING me...

Guess I have to buy Politically Correct, Personal Computer, Power Cords...IOW, PC PC PC's...

Geeze, sounds like a Hogan's Hero's episode...the SS SS SS
SS...

I note that the cord for my QSC RMX 1450 is a really thick one, whereas all my other cords, PC's and everything else, are really thin..

Cheers, John

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What I am saying is that this cord at around $4.99 USD will do just as good as any other similarly rated cord costing $1000.

Oh, sure...no argument there.

I wasn't in any way suggesting one should spend big bucks on powercords but you seem to confirm you feel to be more comfortable with this type of cord than with a bog standard one.
I asked why this is and still haven't received a clear cut answer.

Understand me?:D

Power cables make a huge difference. I've changed the cables on the cd player and my two amps. my buddy changed his on his amp without his wife knowing and she asked wut he did to the system when she listened to it next. a total blind test. think of it like a pipe carrying water, a smalll pipe can only carry so much water, but if you have a bigger pipe, less resistance, more water can flow thru that pipe.

forsure, if the amp or cd player get the right current, then the that product will perform better. manufactures put cheap cables on stuff to hit prices points not because its gonna sound the same doesn't matter what kinda of cable they use. do u use a $3 interconnect with cheap plastic ends? prob not. but that what company package with there stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.