Power amp under development

Hi Big,
you need to monitor the current by metering across the resistor.

If the Vgs varies even slightly the voltage across the resistor also varies. That rubbishes the results.

You should have a way to slightly adjust the supply voltage to enable a constant current through the monitoring resistor and then read off the Vgs.

The constant current can be adjusted by adding a second adjustable resistor above the one you have shown or by using a variable PSU set to constant current mode or adjust the output voltage by hand.

You also need to carry out the measurement at constant temperature. You may be able to achieve this by using TIME to get consistent and repeatable results. i.e at exactly 10seconds after applying the power and making your fine adjustments in the intervening period, read your Vgs.

Re: inductor

davorinjo said:
Hello, I was wandering, Quasi how would I wind the 4 uH Inductor. What size wire should I use and how many turns on which diameter should I wind?

I just wind about 30 turns of 1mm enamelled wire around an air core about 1cm in diameter and 1 cm high. You will end up with about 3 layers. Try to find a plastic bobbin like the one in my pics to make it easier. But don't stress if you can't, have a look at what Shawn did. It looks like he wound some around a 5 watt resistor.

Cheers

Inductor

davorinjo said:
Hello, I was wandering, Quasi how would I wind the 4 uH Inductor. What size wire should I use and how many turns on which diameter should I wind?

quasi said:
...have a look at what Shawn did. It looks like he wound some around a 5 watt resistor.

I wound 20 turns 20AWG around 1cm core (physical size of the resistor) and covered with 2.5cm heatshrink tube. Next time around I will use a higher gauge wire and a few more turns.

:)

Attachments

• quasicoils.jpg
    quasicoils.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 939
bigpanda said:
Tks T,

The thing that I don't understand is : if the method is wrong, it should not work for any of them. But what I am having is that some of the voltages is stable but not all. What could be wrong? Can you interpret this further?

Tks

Try this to test and match FETs*. You should be able to able to match FETs to the same Vgs. If the FET is faulty you will not be able to adjust the current.
Cheers
Q

Attachments

• rough fet tester.gif
    rough fet tester.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 974
Re: Re: inductor

quasi said:

I just wind about 30 turns of 1mm enamelled wire around an air core about 1cm in diameter and 1 cm high. You will end up with about 3 layers. Try to find a plastic bobbin like the one in my pics to make it easier. But don't stress if you can't, have a look at what Shawn did. It looks like he wound some around a 5 watt resistor.

Cheers

Great! How about 1,5 mm*2 isolated wire we use for electric installations. Would that do with maybe a few extra turns?