Post Your Results II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ghetto or not here i come

but look ghetto does get you a better picture.

Attachments

• better picture.jpg
    better picture.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 5,571
My preliminary result.

I just got this LCD screen made for Diebold ATM machine off eBay. It comes with svga controller and very easy to take apart. So I spent 10 minutes, took it apart, and put it on a 3M 9550 OHP, and here is what I got:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

one more (my hand wasn't steady enough for 1/4" shutter):

More pictures are on my original post.

If you notice the last picture, you will see the brightness is not enough, even though the ~5 feet wide image was projected onto a Draper projection screen in a windowless conference room. I will replace the 9550 lamp with a 575W HWI in the future. Hope it will improve the brightness.

Thanks

Probably not the correct place to put this but I want to thank all the names I have seen so many times over the last few months. I have taken the time to read every post I can get my eyes on and you guys are great. I am about to delve into this project tonight and see where it goes. I figure to spend at least a few weeks to come up with something. I got an Apollo A!-1000 out of a junk bin at work just neede a stageing glass that I cut myself and a new bulb (plan to go metal halide when I can find a ballast) and also was given a Infocus smartview 3600 by a neighbor moving and he used to use it for presentations. Wish me luck and any comments you would like to throw my way to get started. I have a digital camera so I hope to put my progress to pictures as it happens.....anyway thanks again for all the really great info!!!!

Again, nicely done Carangelo.

You may now want to add THIS (this is a link) to your projection lens....It eliminates some of the haze of your projected image by blocking out some of the useless light that is just scattering all over your screen and washing stuff out. Experiment with different sizes.

EDIT: It has a name (maybe just "apature" or something) but the name eludes me right now...There are a few posts in the FOrum on it...So if you can figure out what it's called then you can find posts explaining it's purpose...I don't think it's called a shroud though.

hi
now i have finished my diy projektor
sorry for the bad pix but i have only a handy to make some pix
i have used a 3m overhead with 500w and a philips 105s tft panal it is easy to dismount and there is no ghosting or anything else

IBM 15" LCD , 3M9850

Just got an digital camera, So it is my results.

I have to lenghten 9 wires from the IBM LCD monitor,
then place it on a glass which big enough to hold the LCD plane.
I lucky to got an old 3M9850. which is very good condition, I just
use the lower light switch all the time. Very Very happy.

Here's my diary of this project:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291451499

I've given up on this project as I'm going travelling around the world for a year. I have sold off most of my components aswell. If I do enter this project again then I'll most likely go the LCD monitor route. My conclusions and main learnings for this project, at least my own attempts at it, are:

1. Metal halide is great. So many people out there are convinced that this is not good solution, but I strongly disagree. Having used this forum extensively, and through my own trial and error I have found that with some tweaking a 400W (5000k) MH setup works great. The arc is about an inch long, and I projected bags of light with this. It should however be noted that I was using an 8" diameter PCX (an absolute beauty of a lens it is, and I still have it). This lens obviously allows the transmission of large amounts of light. The only problem I didn't have time to tackle was heat. I believe this is a trivial problem to solve.

2.OHP LCD projection panels - They come in only two flavours : Cheap, low performers and expensive, average performers (at least in the UK anyway). I reckon they will become useless when lcd monitor prices eventually drop - the sole advantage of them is of course the inherent transmissive properties, but I don't think that alone will be enough in the future, considering the progress people are making here with the lcd monitor methods.

3.Whatever information you are looking for, it is out there already. Whether it be in this forum or not, it is out in the ether somewhere. I spent best part of four months attempting to find pinout diagrams for the OHP LCD panel I had - 3M 5300 (or somesuch). Not even 3M could help me further than sending me a copy of the user manual. I eventually found the pinout on a schematic for an ovation panel which seemed eerily similar to the 3M panel. Imagine my joy when the panel came to life first time, with the introduction of my newly built cable. THAT is why I enjoy projects like this.

Good luck to all of you continuing this project and those lurkers who are still absorbing ;)

James

Got a decent picture

Well here is a picture of my current setup, before my MH conversion that is coming up this weekend, hopefully.

Now as with most digital camera pictures, it actually looks a lot better than the picture shows. This picture is showing Serious Sam on the xbox, so it is running at 640x480. The projected image is around 75" from corner to corner

I am using.
Old Apollo OHP that has been retrofit (before I got it) with 1000w Halogen BRH kit.
MegaShow LCD Projection Panel, 100:1 CR, 30ms RT, Up to 800x600 16mil colors.
Cheap 25 dollar VGA Box from ebay to hook up my consoles.
Da-Lite 70" Matte Screen.

Finally able to get some somewhat descent photos of my projector working. Still don't look as good as in real life of course. The screen is very wavy because I had the fan on and it made a lot of waves in it. I'm using a QA-1800 with a old projector retrofitted with a $1 500 watt bulb.

The image is currently 8' wide with no pixelation.

I just bought a CRT Projector and it will be here on Friday. Once I have it all set up I will post some more pictures comparing both the picture qualities.

Attachments

• internet.jpg
    internet.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,315
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.