PI-filter (or CLC vs CRC vs C)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have a bunch of 1000uF caps on bottom as well

Attachments

• DSC_0312.jpg
    DSC_0312.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 454
Keen eye. I just discovered it. Guess I should repair that. And I am fresh out of kapton tape. I will use a silicone frying pan pad as protection in the future. Heat resistant and durable. What else can I repair it with?

The Sedlbauer comes with a built in plastic hole where I can just fasten a screw and a spacer. I will get a strong L-shaped piece of metal, the one I have bends to the sheer weight of that thing.

The Jantzen cross coils I will use in the CLC is made up of copper foils. I got the advice not to use it as a choke, because this type of coil may have unwanted capacitance, which regular coil does not have. Anyone heard about this? I would like to use it as it is 2.7mH and only 0.45 ohm and will hopefully not get hot and not have problems with saturation.

Last edited:
Okay, the protection plastic on a Sedlbauer is about as heatresistant transpaent package tape. So I will repair with package tape.

I just got a reply from Erse audio and their similar Foil Q and he says: "Yes we have many clients using our foil Q in power supplies as a choke." Although I would have been really surprised if he said "No! Don't buy our product!"

Last edited:
3.3mH 0.185 ohm with coil vs jantzen crosscoil 2.7mH 0.45 ohm. I think I will try the foil coil. :) I read that the prefferable choke for a tube amp is 5-10mH, together with a 50-100uf cap. But that is probably something different than what what we are talking about.

Wow, great info about the XA 160 amps. So with a 2.7mH foil coil air core you get approx. the same DCR as a 10mH cored coil (with a pedigree). I am thinking I should have a coil shootout in the near future.

But. I was given the recommendation by someone that I should have equal capacitance on both sides of the coil, and Nelson Pass uses 6 large capacitors. I haven't seen the schematic, but maybe its a CLCLC??

Attachments

• $_10 (1).jpg
    $_10 (1).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.