Philips CD650 mods

No problem Simon,

I know you are willing to help when it's possible.
As for the sound, all previous mods cleaned the sound with no tonal or color change, just made it more neutral.
Now as for the Fet output, the high mids/low highs too present seem tempered a bit, enough in fact, top bottom is still missing, sound is still not as refined (detail and smooth) as my CD43 but:

I don't like much the way the CD43 to put velvet on the walls, dulling the voices a bit, a kind of warmer female voices (very nice for low volume listening), a bit of dynamic is missing but that's in my setup and with my tastes ;)

I like the more life-like sound of the CD40, even if right now it's a bit harsh (high volumes are hard to sustain too long), narrow, not detailled and with no clean bass. Don't know if the clocks will help in that, same with the Jung/Didden/Sjöström Super Regulator at the TDA +5V. (Ian I have a LM317 at its best at the SAA7220, already great!).

Matthieu

About clocks boys,
do they need to be in sync?
I mean the main clock, a Flea, can handle two targets, one being the SAA7220, one at a FlipFlop, then Q_ for the TDA1541A S1 at pins 4&2 still linked, then Q to another FlipFlop,Q & Q_ to the DEM pins.
As for the SAA7310: re-use the factory XO on a tiny board? No sync to master clock needed? Or let the SAA7220 handle it for the decoder?
As far as we don't use an AudioGD's clock that should work!

Matthieu,

Matthieu, all the clock feeds need to be in sync. If you don't have enough outputs from your clock, then try using one output for the saa7210 and saa7220, this worked with my C1 from Brent and was better than supplying the 7210 from the 7220.

Cheers, Lee.

Great Lee!
I'm a bit ashamed to ask that (should sounds stupid) but connect with 2 wires (star) after the coupling 100R or the same wire as a line bus?
That will be a great news if that bug can handle all!

Thanks,
Matthieu

Funny Philips base with good case and sexy DAC, strange choice of caps around the TDA1541A: 220nF film and tants!
Sadly the CDM4 is skipping like crazy...

Attachments

• DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 241