Pearl Two

It seems i am being forced into the BJt world and it is different and scary....but kinda useful it seems. I stairing at the PearlII and folded simplistic and waiting for ahah moment. Morning coffee. I tihnk you are like my little one and have your days and nights mixed up:D
Keep getting distracted by this monstrosity
Gotta remember ground referenced load. Is that always true of folded?

Attachments

• SPKRSampHuey.jpg
    SPKRSampHuey.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Try 1K trimmer connected as rheostat instead of R28 and trim for 1.5V across R6 first. Then see again with P1. Your LED is higher than 1.7V Vf most probably.
Q3 is squashed for Vce in your annotated schematic measurements. Try 15-22 Ohm R21-24 to give it breath. Your input quartet IDSS is probably higher than in the original.

Thank you for the advice. It seems like a component is dead, or other major issue vs components having higher specs, no? Loud hum at moderate volume, no music. The other channel is working with voltages very close to the bad channel - except the output between R16 and R17 - bad channel 5.7 v, good around 0. When I first started troubleshooting the voltage at this point was around 12v and maxing out P1 brought it down only to 5.7v.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not sure there is some dead semi. A small change in the 2mA CCS dif amp spec can create a rather large DC imbalance out of P1 compensation range is possible enough. Changing from 12V at least should mean it ticks still. Trim R28 to check that out is easy to test.

Not sure there is some dead semi. A small change in the 2mA CCS dif amp spec can create a rather large DC imbalance out of P1 compensation range is possible enough. Changing from 12V at least should mean it ticks still. Trim R28 to check that out is easy to test.

Thanks. I will follow your advice. Need to go to store and get a 1k. Thanks.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Do you have the optional heavy counterweight? You'll need it for the 103R on an RB300. A headshell weight/shim will help too, to get the tonearm/cartridge resonance back to a reasonable number.

Hello, Mr dB. I have an OL counterweight and a structural upgrade. I don't know if it's any heavier, as I never had a stock one to compare. Yes, it's said that 103R prefers heavier arms. Although, a little note, it's compliance is measured at 100Hz and there are many happy users with RB300 tonearms. It gives me a hint that it still can be a good match.

That's adapting to another bias point on the fets curve and to another gm total than original though.

Here's where my lack of electronic knowledge comes in :) I just followed advice from -I think- Pierre Quiroule and it worked for me. But of course I would like to know if adapting to another bias point could have any detrimental effects. More noise? How about the gain?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's where my lack of electronic knowledge comes in :) I just followed advice from -I think- Pierre Quiroule and it worked for me. But of course I would like to know if adapting to another bias point could have any detrimental effects. More noise? How about the gain?

Surely works but at a lower Vds. When there is more Vds across those fets they are a bit more linear. Up to 8V. More starts some gate leaking.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello, Mr dB. I have an OL counterweight and a structural upgrade. I don't know if it's any heavier, as I never had a stock one to compare. Yes, it's said that 103R prefers heavier arms. Although, a little note, it's compliance is measured at 100Hz and there are many happy users with RB300 tonearms. It gives me a hint that it still can be a good match.

Its real useful for arm calc compliance is about 16. Derived by FFT resonance test on vinyl record with weighed cart and known arm and screws weight. Its coils are also about 19R not 14R. We had done some experiments among two samples in the SNJFET Riaa thread some time ago. We use ~200R-220R load.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Its real useful for arm calc compliance is about 16. Derived by FFT resonance test on vinyl record with weighed cart and known arm and screws weight. Its coils are also about 19R not 14R. We had done some experiments among two samples in the SNJFET Riaa thread some time ago. We use ~200R-220R load.

Thanks. So it's moderate compliance as could have been predicted. But as always there are camps: DL_RB