Pearl Two

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK found it

from schenmatis , at least as I'm deciphering it , is clear that - while you are rotating balance , one channel is going low while other is going little stronger

if you change places of pearl channels connected to bryston ( L to R ) is distortion still in left speaker , or it goes where Pearl's left channel goes then - to right side ?

and - do you have that distortion in all positions of volume pot , when balance is on left ?

Attachments

• bryston-bp4-pre-amplifier-schematic.pdf
    57.1 KB · Views: 79
And thank you , buzzforb ... I well aware I'm out of my depth on this project . I promise to go away when this is sorted .... thanks again for your help !

Relax. I am picking at ZM. I buzz around and bother him whenever I can. Really had nothing to do with your problem. You are fine and getting some excellent help. You will get it sorted and then be able to enjoy lovely RIAA. I am about to build and compare to Salas RIAA. GOod Luck!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever - it's better that way - carefully made Pearl to be OK , and easier to manage Bryston to be blamed

I'll find schmtc of their gain block ( shown as triangle - it's discrete OP , if memory serves me well ) and think what you can do , except cleaning balance pot

in your boots - I'll toss it (balance pot) out of signal route anyway ; connected like that , it's good only for Panorama function in mixing decks , not serious piece of good equipment

have you any chance for quick mock-up of "passive" pre ? when made correctly ( and in your case you don't need much gain , if any ) it can be more rewarding than mediocre gain solution

when I'm saying correctly - let's say that B1 is first in line of gadgets worthy of making

Hi Wellerman,

its the Pro s Concorde . Not MM . Not Ideal ,but don't see much point in investing in better with this problem .

The balance pot has just had a squirt ,but problem persists ( it does work with other inputted components )

One of the side affects of the meds ... is a short fuse - feeling like chewing my own arm off . Maybe not the best place to be coming from .

I'm off to a friends next weekend - will take it with me and try it on his set up !

Hi Wellerman,

its the Pro s Concorde . Not MM . Not Ideal ,but don't see much point in investing in better with this prp !

The Concorde Pro S has 5mV output, so the Pearl will amplify that to 2.5V. Most pre-amps should be able to handle that. Replacing the Concorde might be worth it, if only for the preservation of your vinyl, the recommended 4g tracking force is quite high.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to test the Pearl on other equipent, could save you some frustration if the Bryston turns out to be the problem. But then I wouldn't understand why the problem is only with the Pearl. There is no problem with the balance all the way to the right?

Hi wellerman ,

thanks for the help .

The B1 is going to get finished- just need to order the transformer and a few bits for the chassis .

The cartridge is only used for testing ,but will go as I get the chance :)

I dont get any distrtion when balance to the right ..... just weirdness most sinister LOL

Rich

Questions for the experts. I Still have one bad channel. Just very loud hum at moderate volume, no music.I had replaced all the ZTX450s (Q1, Q3, Q10, Q11) and the Q2 (ZVP3310).
- I can only get V down to 5.7 V at the “Set p1 for 0 V” pad at maximum adjustment for P1!

- All other voltages are good.

At this point I am thinking Q5 and Q4 is bad. What do you think? Should I replace Q4 and Q5 with matched pair of 2sk170s? The other channel is good, but should those be replaced as well to match? I have a matched quad of 2sk170s.

Thanks