Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

Seems to have cut me off halfway...

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I didn't want to get another custom wound transformer. Hence the 30-0, 30-0 (not 30-0-30) secondary windings. I used an 8 Ohm 50W at R5 instead and got pretty close but that would've defeated the purpose of the CCS. Pretty good sound though. I will take your advice of changing R6, R7 and R10. I would be grateful if you can tell me what voltages should be expecting at the IRFP240's gate? I am rather clueless at biasing unless it's a tube amp.
Thanks in advance.

30-0, 30-0 (not 30-0-30) secondary windings. I used an 8 Ohm 50W at R5 instead and got pretty close but that would've defeated the purpose of the CCS. I would be grateful if you can tell me what voltages should be expecting at the IRFP240's gate? I am rather clueless at biasing unless it's a tube amp.
Thanks in advance.

- with that secondaries it is possible to build 2 separate PS and have 40 volt or so each at Vdd ( and then go for dual mono power supply ) .

-As far as I understand it , from a previous Nelson's post , it is possible to raise the value of R5 , that it means to me ( if I 'm not wrong ) it can be set almost to zero ohm , but I didn't try it .

-The enanchement mode Mosfet IRFP240 , turns on typically at VGS= +3,5 Volt ( or little more ) .
In the example posted of CCS if Vdd is 30 volt , Voutput is half of it 15 volt , then R5 would have 1,6 volt across. The Gate of Q2 will be at : 15 + 1,6 + 3,5 = 20,1 volt in theory .

- Remember that the bias current is set by Q1, which is self biasing device , depending on R4 and its Vds .

PS : Later Will try to post another CCS based example with IRFP240 since i recall using for Q2 the IRFP 044 previously , and of course it has slightly different values settings for the bias .

Hi Steffano

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the amp is a dual mono design. I have used an 8 Ohm resistor at R5 but is this the way to do it?

Voltage at R4 is 1.8V = 1.8A@1 Ohm and I am getting all the voltages proper based on that current draw.

My questions are:

1. What is the purpose of R6, R7 and R10 and how do I use them effectively?
2. Am I supposed to get 20V DC (1/2 Vdd 40V DC) at Voutput which is at Q1's drain?
3. As mentioned above, can I change the value of R5?

Thanks again for your patience.

Hi Steffano,
Got it. Thanks.

Welcome .

Below , in the attached schematic , I have another example of personal experiment , little feedback loop , negative voltages to set the working line .

During the listening I've found that carefully trimming p1 to obtain -Vgs = V on R4 the amp started to fly . While with differen values the sound is more boomy on the bass and less precise on the highs .

I wonder if this thing is effectively important or just the result of this particular implementation , considering also that my speakers are set up with a current source equalization .

(V at the drain of Q1 is 13,7 Volt.)

Thanks

Attachments

• FIG-10.png
    FIG-10.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Stefanobilliani,
IS Q1 a R085, or the IXYS?
Also, is 1.68v over R4, or is that R?

I think your saying - measured vgs (measuring at gate and source) should be about the same voltage as measuring voltage across R4. (?)

Tea

Yes in this example it is IXYS . I did something similar with the R085 .
Yes for second question : 1,68 is the voltage across R4 .
so Vgs ( wich is negative ) is trimmed for the same voltage across R4 .
I don't imagine why , but the fine tuning gives instantly better sound .

The R085 is ... different thing , sound much better musically ( the bass much more articulated , the midrange sweet non agressive , highs good )but <maybe> a bit less easy to live with ... ( and here also don't know why ).
I might probably investigate better on the audio source , since I have very good computer software handy .

... and of course , the main difference could be the light bulb , and the loading lines . Infact I found in the IXYS case the light bulb to be equivalent to 22 ohm ; different in the R085, it goes to 15 ohm ...

Last edited: