No more aching back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magura said:
You're heading in the wrong direction.

Your old wood lathe is a good basis, add a variable speed drive, and you're good to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G51461-Danfoss-...13e798&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Like this one for instance. They're plenty and cheap on fleabay.

Magura :)

Do you know if you lose torque? I once had a conversation with an old millwright and he espoused the beauty of DC vs. AC drive. DC can be slowed down without losing as much torque as AC.

Are we ever going to agree on anything? :D ;) :D

Well, the problem is that I just went out and purchased a starter flex ring and starter for 50 bucks. I'm going to play with this for awhile. Gear reduction ratio is 18.66 to 1. I should be able to control DC motor speed with voltage increase/decrease. I'm going to do a little research.

So, which one are you--Abbot or Costello? ;)

I don't mean to throw a fly in the ointment, but starter motors are meant for very short run times. They overheat in a matter on minutes. If you want a super simple dc control, just get a variac and a rectifier bridge. Then dig up a dc motor and you have it. If it was me, I would simply use all this to justify acquiring a cheap metal lather. Then you have all the gear reduction you can dream of and you can cut metal to boot.

Actually about a year ago I bought a 1890's treadle lathe that would also do the trick quite nicely. Foot powered, geared for cutting either wood or metal. So, with the back gear in, perfect for winding bobbins, without good for making chips.:)

All flys welcome...

Starter motors overheat because they crank against a very heavy load, yes. I could be wrong. If so, I'll take the gear off the starter and place it on an ordinary AC motor--might just do that anyway. Besides, when I wind two 11AWG wires simultaneously, I'm not going to be cranking for very long without stopping to make corrections. Depends on how good I get.

I'll have to design a small pulley/tensioning system to pair the wire taut, side by side, then I can guide that pair by hand onto the coil former--slowly.

A metal lathe was what I first had my eye on, but the price at the time seemed rather high. Now that I have 20/20 hindsight, I'm not so sure...:D

carpenter said:

Can you get the speed down to 60 RPM? What make and model?

60 RPM is pretty fast for a 6" bobbin. You should be looking for like 20 RPM or so.

Dave is right, the starter motor has a very low duty cycle. A DC motor able to handle this, is fairly big. Also you will want to run it at higher voltage than 12V to not drown in heat.

Perhaps you could rewind a starter motor for higher voltage operation to get what you need, if it's the challenge that floats your boat.

Magura said:

60 RPM is pretty fast for a 6" bobbin. You should be looking for like 20 RPM or so.

Dave is right, the starter motor has a very low duty cycle. A DC motor able to handle this, is fairly big. Also you will want to run it at higher voltage than 12V to not drown in heat.

Perhaps you could rewind a starter motor for higher voltage operation to get what you need, if it's the challenge that floats your boat.

Magura, you've been reading my mind... :)

I've been considering all the tasks required to revamp the motor. I could remove the solenoid coil and lock the mechanism with the starter gear in a fully extended position. This removes the 12v requirement to engage the gear.

I was planning to lower the voltage, thus the heat, and if that didn't work, rewire it.

I'm hoping to be able to wind larger wire than 11AWG. That's going to take a lot of torque for a 6" coil...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.