New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dave from Landfall Systems ( https://www.landfallsystems.com/ ) has made a chassis for this project, I just received it today. It looks fantastic!! Haven't even got it together, but had to share some photos -

IMG_4064.jpeg

IMG_4065.jpeg

The back panel has RCA and a cutout for a Schurter 6765 series IEC power inlet with fuse and switch. The front has cutouts for a Neutrik 1/4 locking jack and the Alps pot.

IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg

My favorite bit - the U channel is firmly attached to the chassis side with 3 screws, and the output devices clip to it, so there's no fiddly screws to install on the TO-220 pieces once everything is all together, and, much more importantly, the chassis becomes the heatsink. :D

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
These are not the final schematic, there need to be some more annotations, especially in the PSU. That said, the circuit is correct.

WhammyPSUrev1.jpg

If you look at the regulator configuration, there are pads for resistors, a reference diode, and a bypass cap. None are strictly necessary, and you certianly don't want to use all at the same time... it will be explained in the guide.

WhammyRev1.jpg

WhammyFULLrev1.jpg

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Strictly speaking, the OPA2604 is necessary only if you use 24V rails. (Useful if you have very high impedance headphones (600ohm) and want to listen at deafening levels...OR want to drive an F4 to the rails... :) )

With 18V or 15V rails you will still have buckets of power for essentially every headphone out there, and be able to use a huge assortment of opamps.

On the old PCB I really liked the AD823AN, I'll try it as soon as I get a PCB configured for 18V rails. (I'll use 7815/7915 regulators and stand them on green LED; will probably have closer to 17V, but you get the general idea.)

I also have the Muses opamps to try... :) :) :)

AD823ANZ Analog Devices | Mouser

Strictly speaking, the OPA2604 is necessary only if you use 24V rails. (Useful if you have very high impedance headphones (600ohm) and want to listen at deafening levels...OR want to drive an F4 to the rails... :) )

You know that I like the "Little Amps"... :D:D:D So the 24volt versión until now is the most attractive. ;)

With 18V or 15V rails you will still have buckets of power for essentially every headphone out there, and be able to use a huge assortment of opamps.

On the old PCB I really liked the AD823AN, I'll try it as soon as I get a PCB configured for 18V rails. (I'll use 7815/7915 regulators and stand them on green LED; will probably have closer to 17V, but you get the general idea.)

Ohhhh god!!!! now I need two pcb´s!!!! :headbash::headbash::headbash: I like it :D:D

Last edited:
Muse...

I look forward to hearing your reports on how the Muse sounds in this HPA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.