New Fonken pair is born.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
my CAD software switches effortessly between units
dave

Man, I sure wish I did!
I'm a prototype fabrication machinist, and run into that problem all the time @ work
(for the gvmt, no less).
Software switches effortlessly,
some machines do; some dont.
Some require metric; some imperial.
Some materials are in metric; some imperial.
Some tooling is in metric; some imperial.
Some prints are part metric, part imperial.
I think in imperial units, and sometimes keep track of whutz going on...
whew! :xeye:
Robert :)

Scottmoose said:
You must want me shot then Chris, as decadant & old fashioned Brit. that I am, I usually work in Imperial. :bawling: Will try to do better in future.

then who would all do all our modeling? No worries - it's just the mixing of dimensions or inadequate notation that causes problems.

BTW, I demo'ed a pair of Brynns to my sister the afternoon - she'd been pestering for over a year to help her set up the sound on her A/V system. (one of those horrible DVD/HT receiver / 5.1 speaker packages - Sony in this case, but it's the genre that is the problem, not the specific make)

Starting with the little Kingrex T20U * and my Jolida CD player, it was one of those Kodak moments - "you're kidding me, right - the woofers are on the back side?"
"how come only 2 speakers is giving me fuller sound, throughout the room and into the kitchen than the six boxes in the other system?"

It's pretty damned hard to avoid saying "tole ya so"

Even thought they're the raw plywood original prototypes, she refused to let me take them back.

You're welcome Jules - I can finish them in some nice veneer early in the new year.

Ultimately, a compromise had to be made to allow for audio and video switching from 2 sources, as well as remote volume control on both. Fortunately an old Denon stereo receiver was lying around that had video switching suitable to the task, and more importantly, didn't have all that delightful surround sound processing to get in the way. It still sounded thin and pathetic compared to the Kingrex, but she'll need a new TV with source switching and variable audio output to consolidate the control function and allow a basic power amp only.

*if you've not yet heard a T-class amp, this is certainly one to search out.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We are working on woofers for the Fonken (and miniOnken). One of our design restarints is that we want to maintain the same footprint. This leaves a max volume of 21-28 litres... the new SDX7 has really opened up some possibilities... a single unit in a sealed or BR box, or a push-push pair in an aperiodic box (that one is most appealing to me).

The size restriction precludes an Onken... the ports use up too much volume. So an Onken woof would need to relax that restriction.

The box is actually fairly easy... getting an XO that works is harder.

BTW: it has had a name for some time -- fonkenWoof.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: hmmm.....everybody, leave dave and chris ALONE!

ped said:

These wouldn't be HempOnkens by any chance would they??? :D :cool: :devilr: :D

I will be doing a fonken-style design for the HA FR4.5c, but enthusiasm is low because we are now 6 months on from returning a defective pair for replacement with none in sight.

If i can't get reliable/prompt service & support from a driver vendor...

dave

maybe this may help
not all data only fs and Vas an db

Celstion 0818
fs 85
Vas 12,6 l
94 db

Eminence alpha 8
fs 67
vas 14,1
97 db

Eighteen sound
6ND48 Neomedyn
fs 36
Vas 13,4 l
92,5 db

Fane Crescendo *M 8 ohms
fs 80
Vas 13,14 l
98 db

IMG
SP-6/100PA
FS 90
Vas 8l
94 db

RCF L8S800
fs 76
Vas 11l
93 db

some other maybe

Davis 13kLV5 a or MA
fs 56
Vas 8l
91db

Eton
S-880 25Hex
Fs 48
Vas 12l
87 db

Excel
W11Cy002 magnesium
Fs 46
Vas 5.8 l
85 db

Gradient
Fs 44
Vas 13.4l
88 db

INTERTECHNIK
MDS05 4 Ohm
Fs 59
Vas 9.1 l
88db

Monacor
M5H 115
fs 85
Vas 4l
89 db

Peerless
Fs from 56.1 58.6 61.5
Vas from 8.6 l to 10.6
db 88.5

Seas
H1216 Ka 150
fs 47
Vas 12l
87 db others with Alu cone

Vifa 10BG 120/6
and Visaton AL 130
with small Vas

enjoy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.