New Fonken pair is born.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Akita: how do these sound?

Nanook said:
I believe the miniOnkens (with the CSS drivers would be equally good, depending on your amplifier), and better suited for lower bass (Dave, help me out here:) ), and bigger high dampening factor amps.

Pretty much. Recent Planet_10 revisions to both the drivers in these boxes have made them even better (Stew -- once we get a fresh pair and a set of road cases built, we can start a tour of the new revision in Lethbridge and then finally get DT in Medicine Hat to hear them)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Akita said:
it seen like they use the same thickness size for all the panel including the port. What writen in the design is, it need 3/8" or 9.5mm of thickness for the port. Will it make any different in performance?

The size & length of the port is quite critical -- spacer/port width is 9.5mm. The box is made of 12mm BB, with an 18mm baffle (you can use 2 layers of 12mm -- things will get tight at the driver edge thou.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The driver cutout?

When we build a Fonken we build a rectangular box and the last step is to run the entire box thru the table saw to get the big champher on the front. This gives us a full width piece to put the driver hole & rebate into (with the most recent builds we have the driver cutout done with a CNC.

dave

Dave, and Fonkens...

Yup Dave, I'd love the experience again. Now that both the kids have moved out, I can set up an office and "small" listening room..still trying to scam a pair of Fonkens for myself :), but I've got lots on the go and little $$ now. Need to finish all my previously started projects before I start any new ones.

stew

Hello!

Can you send me drawing with the sizes for Fonken.
Because in pdf a file there are no sizes of internal radiuses of a partition and still thickness forward a wall and much that...

Also tell the rumble as is very audible at registration a phase of the inverter?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
amro said:
Can you send me drawing with the sizes for Fonken.
Because in pdf a file there are no sizes of internal radiuses of a partition and still thickness forward a wall and much that...

Also tell the rumble as is very audible at registration a phase of the inverter?

The holes in the holey brace are random... you just want to try for 35-45% holes and no big ones between the driver and the back wall. The driver cutout is left to the builder as any rebate on the front will affect where it needs to sit (driver wants to be tight up against the brace).

Bass on the Fonken is estimated to get to the low 60s (based on listening and the impedance curve)

dave

Attachments

• eddie-fonkens-imp.gif
    eddie-fonkens-imp.gif
    14 KB · Views: 2,819
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.