New Fonken pair is born.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fe83n drivers would be labelled Fostex - the folks who came up with and build the family of speakers with Fonken moniker would be thrilled to sell in a lifetime .00000001% of the numbers that Fostex and parent Foster average in a year.

As delightful a driver as the FE83 might be, as Dave has already indicated it's not at all well suited to the Fonken treatment - now the FF85WK, on the other hand..

Yesterday's reply was hastily typed, and I didn't ask if you might have space for a floor-stander? As much as I appreciate what the smaller Fonken designs can do, whenever floorspace is available, I'd heartily recommend a larger unit.

FWIW, there are two aspects to Dave's "fonken / mini-onken" design for Fostex, Mark Audio, and other driver makes.

1) The pain in the a$$ construction details of the original enclosure design - the 3-layer side panels with large edge chamfers and narrow front baffle. The trapezoid shaped ones are "double your fun".

2) High aspect ratio slot vents - usually in multiples, with dividing spacers which continue full depth of the enclosure to add some additional bracing - although the efficacy of that intention is debatable.

The latter has been incorporated in a large number of more conventionally shaped rectangular boxes - including floorstanders for drivers as large as FF165WK, Mark Audio Alpair10 - etc.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the additional information.
I currently use floorstanding Castle Stirling speakers from the UK built in the 90's, they work well with my AN OTO SE 10w amp, I did start looking at living voice speakers but at $4800 cnd, out of my league.
I thought I'd start small and I am looking now at the dfonken125 which uses the FF125wk you mentioned earlier and doesn't have the side bracing, so a little simpler to construct.

Regards

Hello! I have a set of these I thought I would share here. I have followed the plans to a T but used the Coral "Holy Basket" fe103a drivers and they really do a great job. I really like these speakers for the size and the sound they produce.

I am especially jealous of some of the lovely finishings you have all done on yours with the wood grain.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.