• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

We have done everything and only waiting for PCB from China. Due to Lunar year its delayed for 2-3 weeks. Once proto is received we will test it and release.

That is very good news!!!

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Btw, I am waiting now for my first Kali which is on it's way to me,
will compare with Ian's Fifo II kit connected with I2S to AK4495SEQ dac

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Future request:

Designing seperate HAT's for Fifo and Clockboard with possibility to put Isolator HAT inbetween Fifo HAT and Clockboard HAT ;-)

Regards,
Alex

@Pistollero
I'm glad you like it also. Kali+AK seems to be a very nice combo.

I have Kali+AK4490 working with Moode 3.1, but I have to resample to 24bit or else I get a blast of noise. I get loud clicks sometimes when engaging 'Play' or 'Pause'.
So I'm wondering, Pistollero/Greinedo, whether you had the 4495 working without these issues? I must say the sound is very good. I'm taking the output through UTC-A20 transformers.

John

I have Kali+AK4490 working with Moode 3.1, but I have to resample to 24bit or else I get a blast of noise. I get loud clicks sometimes when engaging 'Play' or 'Pause'.
So I'm wondering, Pistollero/Greinedo, whether you had the 4495 working without these issues? I must say the sound is very good. I'm taking the output through UTC-A20 transformers.

John
Hello i have the same issue.. on kali and hifiberry dac pro...
But with digi pro i2s, i can play 16bit, no need to upsample to 24 or 32. It works perfect.

John
About the pops, i have then too...
But on squeezelite works without pops on all boards. I m using max2play...sounds better to my ears

Yes, would be very interesting if it is better than my Kali+Piano 2.1 combination? You write of lower jitter than Kali at least..

Further there is a special driver necessary for it? Or will it work with Hifiberry DAC+ or IQaudio DAC driver as well?

And the main question...why all this effort on (another) PCM5122 chip and not e.g. an AK4495SEQ?

Best regards,
Jörn

AkM ICs are beautiful sounding chips...and deceptively easy to implement . However you need 4 different power supply to make them sing..in addition they only work as slave not masters. So its not so easy

We chose the TI IC for our entry DAC . Basically its easy to implement and you will get a very solid solution for less than 60$. If you want hiend...please have patience we are working on it

How will this sound vs Kali + Piano. Well , I would let the reviewers make that distinction.

I think its a "player issue" we will investigate

Yes, taking a hint from what pistollero wrote above, I tried controlling Moode via the player in Bubble UPNP and found that the clicks, although still present, were much less obtrusive.
Of course in the absence of any I2S settings for AKM DACs I'm having to use one of the ES9023 settings, most of which work OK with upsampling engaged.

Hi

latest Volumio image has the full capability (xover) on both Sparky and RPI. Yes we are using hardware volume control. The next to release is dietpi

I have what I believe is the latest Volumio image (2.041, 12-12-2016), but I find that the crossover settings result in a big dip in the response between mains and subs when in 2.2 mode. The last I heard was that Allo/Volumio were working to fix this, but there doesn't appear to have been a new release since I reported this problem on the Volumio Forum.

I have what I believe is the latest Volumio image (2.041, 12-12-2016), but I find that the crossover settings result in a big dip in the response between mains and subs when in 2.2 mode. The last I heard was that Allo/Volumio were working to fix this, but there doesn't appear to have been a new release since I reported this problem on the Volumio Forum.

I've taken another look at this and I think that the problem is not a fault with the current settings on Volumio, it's that I need a higher crossover frequency than 200Hz. This is because I'm crossing over to the bass drivers in my open baffles, not to a sub as such.
Sorry if I caused any confusion with the above post, and thanks to Allo for their offer of help via pm.

Last edited: