• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NEW Audio amplifier kits, modules and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the transformer power rating and voltage can have influence on the sound. how ? first, the voltage should be within 2x32 to 2x42V AC. second, the power rating of the transformer, and the rectifier plus capacitors have an influence due to the PSRR (power supply rejection ratio) which is lower at switching amps than at class AB amps.
so, for best performance use the biggest transformer power available and large filtering capacitors. one suitable linear power supply board is the one with 6 pcs 18,000uF caps. (careful!!! has 270 Joules !!!!) this board can supply more than one TA3020 amplifier, somebody use one for 3 amps.

Hi,Cristi , I received A1000SMPS today and It seemed to be in very good
condition but before to try I have a few questions.
If I input 120Vac with remote connector open, do the supply is in standby mode?
Could I use aux supply to power the remote terminal?
Is it necessary to power up power supply first and apply remote supply
only after power up, or could I connect aux supply (example) permanently
to remote input and put a switch in line with 120vAc input for powering the supply?
What is the voltage and current available from the auxiliary supply;I would
like to connect a 24Vdc fan.
thanks

Jack,
the aux. voltage is supplied from the main transformer, so will have this voltage only when the smps will be on. to control the smps with remote option, must provide a 5-12V at 5-10mA to the remote connector from an external supply. if you want to use this option, must remove the small jumper between the optoisolators and one big capacitor. with this jumper on, the remote function is disabled, making the smps to be on all the time when power is applied. do not connect the aux. supply to the remote, use an external available supply.
the voltage can be adjusted within 3-15V from the potentiometer which is on the edge of the board. the maximum voltage which can get is about 18-20V when the main output has a load of at least 1 A current draw and if you change one resistor connected to the voltage regulator. available current is up to 500mA.

Regarding SMPS

I read the description of the PS and it says "without PFC". Apologize for my lack of knowledge on this subject, but what is the significance (for audio) that the PS does not have PFC? What other advantages disadvantages are afforded by the PFC?

Also, the larger optional heatsink seems 2x taller. Are there options to keep the low profile but more heatsinking?

Thanks.

PFC means Power Factor correction. in most of the countries it is required that the power factor of an electronic equipment which exceed a specific power to be >0.9
most of the smps, the ones without PFC draw nonsinusoidal input currents with a high harmonic content. This causes stress for the power wiring, circuit breakers, and electric utility. In addition, these harmonics can affect other electronic equipment connected to the same power line. Active power factor correction (PFC) that reshapes the input current before its application to the switch-mode supply solves this problem.
for example for Europe there is EN61000-3-2 Standard, which limits allowable ac line current harmonics. there are 4 classes, which characterize the type of the type of the equipment and ratings.
some more infos about PFC can be read on wiki Power factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but in the audio field, most of the power amplifiers, even in proaudio lack of PFC.
for most of the commercial energy consumers there is no difference in the price for real power and apparent power, but for industry and big consumers there are a lot of regulations and penalities if they exceed the maximum values for PF.
one important thing to remember is that a power factor stage in a smps altough will improve the shape of the current drawn mains, will decrease the global efficiency of the smps. typical efficiencies only for the PFC are between 90% (old models or small power) to a maximum of >98% for power >300W or with some "exotic" topologies (bridgeless PFC, intereaved, active clamped, etc.) in the KW range and industrial stuff, up to 99% efficiency can be achieved.

the extraheatsink has 45-50 mm height, not more than the overall heiht of the capacitors and transformer. in the photo from the website is one big heatsink which i used just for test. i will update with the actual heatsink picture this days.

Another input resistor question - this time regarding the TA2022 amp. The value of R15/17 is.......I am guessing....47k? Clarification will be appreciated -thx.

R15 and R17 are connected in parallel with the input and together with R8 and R9 set the amplifier input impedance. moreover, they are useful for proper biasing of the input capacitor, so if the amplifier is left without input signal connection, will reduce the background noise and the click/pop when the source cable is connected.

wish digital amp gives most power on 12v dc from an batteri in 4 ohm?
Can't find spec for that.

i'm working at a design of an amplifier powered from 12V. there will be few versions, with power in range of 2x70W to 2x350W.

Status
Not open for further replies.