• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NEW Audio amplifier kits, modules and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the TA3020v3c i added speaker protection circuit, bigger capacitors for the power supply (35mm diameter) and rectifier bridge. the amplifier can be used with smps as well, and the bridge can be removed in this case. BIPS can be used if the supply voltage is close to the upper limit, +-60V to prevent turning ON/OFF when the voltage boost over the maximum limit.
this board can be used in BTL mode directly even without BIPS, by simply connecting one resistor which will bring inverted signal from the output of one channel AO to the input of the other channel AO.
the MOS-FET's can be changed, with IRFB4227 which is one of the best in his class, the efficiency will be improved a little but the output power is still limited to the maximum rail voltage which the IC can admit, so there will be slight changes on the output power.

Thank you CNX, and I'm sorry for the amateurish questions, but I don't understand power supplies very well...

1. What kind of power supply would you recommend for use with this board? Would SMPS or linear offer better performance (noise, good transient performance, minimum voltage drooping, etc.)?

2. If I use a linear power supply and thus leave the rectifier in place... then I'm not sure what exactly I need to purchase to get TA3020v3c up and running. Do I just need a transformer, or something else too?

3. If I want to run the amp safely on 60v, what voltage do I need to feed it? Basically... what changes in voltage do I need to account for that occur due to the rectifier or some other part or function of the amplifier... i.e. if i fed it 60v it would actually end up pushing it over 70v... so to run it on 60v, do i need to feed it 48... 50 volts?

If I go with an SMPS, would this be a good match? Or would the SMPS1000 be significantly better for this application?

Power Supplies, Power Supply, Bench Supplies, Transformers

MFG: HENGFU
P/N: HF300W-S-48
INPUT: 85-132VAC 50/60Hz
OUTPUT: 48VDC @ 6.3A
Specifications/Features: 300W
Enclosed switching supply. Over voltage and short circuit protected, .5% Line/load regulation, 120mV Ripple/Noise max.

Thanks again CNX, its extremely helpful to have you here on the boards to answer these questions, its really outstanding customer service/support and I think it'll really help your sales! I know I'm very interested in purchasing something! Your products seem to offer outstanding value. I was looking at the HLLY TAMP 90 but it looks like I could get more power for equal or less money buying from you!

It would seem that the A1000SMPS is only a little bit more money for more output potential, and you get to choose your own fan.

Cristi, It would be great if the datasheets were better for some of your products :)

Are the SMPS's soft starting?

Is the speaker protection circuit on the TA3020v3c the same as the standalone protection board? What are the relays rated for?

What's the max output of the TA0105ARB board into 8 ohms? I assume 2x ~250W, bridged 500W? Will this require a +-90v PSU?

How do we order modules with custom instructions?

Thankyou :)

Hi Cristi,
The parcel was very well padded. Everything arrived safe.
Just rigged up the TDA8920 board with a 16-0-16 V transformer. Sounds very good. Especially the low end is deep and tight ! I've heard better HF but that could just be the input cap. There is no space to put in botique caps and it would also kill the price advantage. Later I compared it with another Rotel ss amp and found that the HF was similar. However the TDA bass was far superior. Great board. Thanks.

I have a TA3020 v3b that is close to the v3c version, I try to answer to some questions of Artcore87

1. What kind of power supply would you recommend for use with this board? Would SMPS or linear offer better performance (noise, good transient performance, minimum voltage drooping, etc.)?
-Especially with class D/T amplifier my experience is that the SMPS are a better match, in particular I experienced tighter bass and a sound that is noticeably more clear

2. If I use a linear power supply and thus leave the rectifier in place... then I'm not sure what exactly I need to purchase to get TA3020v3c up and running. Do I just need a transformer, or something else too?
-Typically a dual secondaries transformer able to provide a DUAL DC output after the bridge diodes of +/- 50V DC respect to a ground. Moreover it would be nice to add some good quality electrolytic capacitors as power reservoir

3. If I want to run the amp safely on 60v, what voltage do I need to feed it? Basically... what changes in voltage do I need to account for that occur due to the rectifier or some other part or function of the amplifier... i.e. if i fed it 60v it would actually end up pushing it over 70v... so to run it on 60v, do i need to feed it 48... 50 volts?
-The conversion factor is 1,4.. if AC voltage is, say, 35V 35*1,4 = 49V when converted to DC .. obviously you've to take into account the voltage on the transformer varies according to the load (more load= decreased voltage) so if the transformer gives 35V ac per each secondary when loaded, when idle the voltage will be much higher.. With the SMPS, given the voltage is regulated, I keep it constantly at +/-55 Vdc

-Don't know but this one looks like a single supply output.. if this is the case you would need two of these connected in series (and this is not a good solution).. You'd better to go for the SMPS1000 that already produces a dual +/- 50V voltage or a
coldamp SPS80 (like I have) https://www.coldamp.com/store/sps80.html
or a Redrock Audio SMPS Red Rocks Audio

Last edited:
i was out in the past few days with limited internet access. i will try to answer to the questions
Thank you CNX, and I'm sorry for the amateurish questions, but I don't understand power supplies very well...

If I go with an SMPS, would this be a good match? Or would the SMPS1000 be significantly better for this application?

Power Supplies, Power Supply, Bench Supplies, Transformers

MFG: HENGFU
P/N: HF300W-S-48
Specifications/Features: 300W
Enclosed switching supply. Over voltage and short circuit protected, .5% Line/load regulation, 120mV Ripple/Noise max.

Thanks again CNX, its extremely helpful to have you here on the boards to answer these questions, its really outstanding customer service/support and I think it'll really help your sales! I know I'm very interested in purchasing something! Your products seem to offer outstanding value. I was looking at the HLLY TAMP 90 but it looks like I could get more power for equal or less money buying from you!

you got some answers in the meantime, i also recommend to use a SMPS, regulated one is better. +-60V is the upper limit for the TA3020 amplifier, for long time reliability. if you feed the amp with this voltage value, is possible that the amp will toggle on/off when the voltage will get higher than 62-63V due to pumping. if you shift the signal phase with 180* for one channel, this may be prevented to happen.
the smps from your link is single rail, and you might need 2 identical smps to do the job. if you want to use them, you must be check if the secondary GND is connected or not to the case and the insulation resistance. one of the smps will have to work with - at GND and one with + at GND, connected in series. for this amp you can use this smps which i made, without any complications Connexelectronic

It would seem that the A1000SMPS is only a little bit more money for more output potential, and you get to choose your own fan.

Cristi, It would be great if the datasheets were better for some of your products :)

Are the SMPS's soft starting?

Is the speaker protection circuit on the TA3020v3c the same as the standalone protection board? What are the relays rated for?

What's the max output of the TA0105ARB board into 8 ohms? I assume 2x ~250W, bridged 500W? Will this require a +-90v PSU?

How do we order modules with custom instructions?

Thankyou :)

i will write more manuals soon, when i will have more time. now i'm too busy with other things and orders and i try to make all of them.
the smps has built-in softstart. is an inrush current limiter.
the speaker protection included on the TA3020v3c board is similar to the stand-alone one and use 2x5A relays. altought the peak current of the amp can reach 10A, the long time average current is less than 5A. also, the relay is rated at 5A when working at 250V~ or 30V DC, which is not this case.
the TA0105ARB can deliver 2x300W at 8R with +-80 to +-90V supply. the maximum power which can get on 8 ohms is 500W each channel if i replace the output transistors. the ic maximum supply voltage is +-200V.
for the modules which doesn't have online instructions, i send them by mail, on request.

Hi Cristi,
The parcel was very well padded. Everything arrived safe.
Just rigged up the TDA8920 board with a 16-0-16 V transformer. Sounds very good. Especially the low end is deep and tight ! I've heard better HF but that could just be the input cap. There is no space to put in botique caps and it would also kill the price advantage. Later I compared it with another Rotel ss amp and found that the HF was similar. However the TDA bass was far superior. Great board. Thanks.

you can try to add bigger capacitors for the input but i do not recommend this on class D and T amps. the big capacitors have also big area, and they will act like an antenna and will also form a larger parasitic capacitance between input and inductors which carries high frequency - high amplitude currents.

Cristi, some more questions in addition to mine above:
Do the SMPS's have PFC?
When do you anticipate having the 2kw SMPS available?
How does the sound quality of the TA0105ARB board compare to the TA3020v3 boards?

the A1000SMPS is without PFC. next version will have.
the 2KW smps will come probably at the beggining of next year, there is no time to finish the production this year. some other projects came between in the meantime.
the sound of TA0105, well.... my subjective opinion is that is more dynamic. the supply voltage is higher, the output voltage excursion is also higher, so the output can follow the input faster for this amp than the others. or maybe my speakers are too small for this power

Cristi said the max voltage of the TA0105A is +-200V. By my calculation that gives a bridged power of 6400W into 8ohm with ~28amps of current. My suspicion is that the TA0105ARB board as currently available will not be able to handle that.

For +-80V, 1024W with ~11 amps current seems more reasonable.

My knowledge is not great, but I think without some more information from Cristi about the mosfets, PCB etc., we cannot know for sure. :)

the available board can deliver up to 500W at 4 ohms and 280W on 8 Ohms.
i mention that the ic can work at up to +-200V but in a practical design will never be used at such voltages. up to +-140 to 160 is resonable. there must be a safety margin of at least 25% for reliable usage. even so, with +-140V rails you can get huge output power even in single ended, not to talk about BTL. for this, must use a complete redesigned pcb, with multiple output MOS-FET's and a much more tight layout, prefereable 4 layers with 3 oz. copper, very short and wide tracks, ground planes, etc....

i started the design of such board, but i abandoned the design, since the TA0105A is obsolete already and i have just few pcs. left for the boards which i already have. i cannot get new stock at a resonable price, but probably i will make the design with the chipset used for the TA0105 ic.
the idle current of the TA0105 is arround 70-100mA on power rails, 50mA on 5V and 250mA on 12V. the TA3020 idle current, i measured and post on a previous page of this thread few months ago.

in this configuration is hard to use a vertical heatsink unless you use some heatslug to conduct the heat from the transistors and ic to the heatsinks which will be attached at the edges of the board. if i will have request for such arrangement, i can order both the vertical heatsinks and the heatslug.
i will make a photo of the module without heatsink later, and post here. it looks very similar with v3b but is bigger size due to the capacitors and speaker protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.