• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NEW Audio amplifier kits, modules and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cristi,

some time ago I purchased your TA3020 board (V2). Now I have a question how to connect the input signal to this Molex connector. Where do the colors go (and - after testing) I would like to solder some cable directly to the pins/board - but again: where goes what?
An answer will be appreciated - thx in advance.

Wolfram

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I hadn't looked at the v2 TA3020, that is an interesting option. I was trying to tell the difference between v3a and v3b which have the same datasheet Sorry for not being clear.

Now that I see the v2 option, anyone out there compare the v2 to the v3 version?

cnx said:
first of all, i counted the version numbers in order of their development and release. first was the TA3020 amp, i haven't called version number, some ppls knows as v1. as it was very successfull, i continued to improve and i made the version 2. in the meantime i soldout all v1. next, i had some requests for a very compact amp and i made the v3. the iprooved version is v3a.
-- version 2 has the rectifier bridge and 2x12,000uF capacitors on board, only need to add the transformer, case and connectors, potentiometer. can provide 5V at 500mA and 10V at 500mA for cooling fan, and other aux. stages
-- version 3 (3a) doesn't have the rectifier bridge on board, since is much smaller, 100x100x40mm. the caps are smaller also, 1000uF each, is suitable to be powered by smps or transformer+rectifier+caps. can provide 5V at 200mA, max 400mA.
-- version 3a, similar to version 3, i removed the 5V out and improoved the layout for better SN.

for more details, please take a look at the amplifiers manuals, there are few details there which can underline the differences.

i just finished updating the promotion prices. please take a look.
also for quantities bigger than 5 for the same type of board, i will offer discount, but for this, please contact me by mail.
customers who purchased the products starting at 1 august 00:00 GMT+8, will get the products with the new prices, even if it wasn't updated at that time. please contact me to discusse about.

dubai2000 said:
Hi Cristi,

some time ago I purchased your TA3020 board (V2). Now I have a question how to connect the input signal to this Molex connector. Where do the colors go (and - after testing) I would like to solder some cable directly to the pins/board - but again: where goes what?
An answer will be appreciated - thx in advance.

Wolfram

in the TA3020v2 amplifier manual, page 5 bottom, can see the pinout of the signal connector, from left to right, as follows:
Pin1: +5V out from the board, for preamp, fan, or whatewer
Pin2: Mute In. connecting this pin to 5V will mute the amp
Pin3: Mute Out: status pin, when the amp will be muted, the pin will have 5V
Pin4: GND
Pin5: Left In
Pin6: GND
Pin7: Right In
Pin8: GND

i choose to use this type of connector because before when i used the screw type terminal block, some customers asked me after receiving the boards why the board has no wires. some of them doesn't have available wires and need to buy them.

dvenardos said:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I hadn't looked at the v2 TA3020, that is an interesting option. I was trying to tell the difference between v3a and v3b which have the same datasheet Sorry for not being clear.

Now that I see the v2 option, anyone out there compare the v2 to the v3 version?

please check again the datasheets, i made 2 different manuals for v3a and v3b and uploaded both of them few weeks ago.

Hi,
maybe my question posted a few days ago was "hidden" in some way by the following messages. I post it again:

SMPS? Post #308
I see that all the SMPS are no longer available on connexelectronic website. Is due to a momentary "sold out" or are permanently out of production?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Christian

ilwooz said:
Hi,
I see that all the SMPS are no longer available on connexelectronic website. Is due to a momentary "sold out" or are permanently out of production?
Thanks a lot and best regards,
Christian

i've skipped, sorry.
i made a small batch first, and i sold them out. now is under production another batch, and they will come soon. also some other models, more compact will be available.

cnx said:

i've skipped, sorry.
i made a small batch first, and i sold them out. now is under production another batch, and they will come soon. also some other models, more compact will be available.
Thanks a lot!
Also – sorry, I know this is a "boring" question but... – do You think that, sonically speaking, these SMPS are of "lower" quality (I mean intrinsically, for the type of technology) than Your dedicated linear power supply?
Thanks and best regards,
Christian

ilwooz said:

Thanks a lot!
Also – sorry, I know this is a "boring" question but... – do You think that, sonically speaking, these SMPS are of "lower" quality (I mean intrinsically, for the type of technology) than Your dedicated linear power supply?
Thanks and best regards,
Christian

there are few types of smps. some of them better than others, some of them worst. an audio grade smps will perform as good as an usual linear power stage made of mains power transformer, rectifier bridge and filter capacitors. for hi-end audio amplifiers which have SN ratio better than 115dB, the power supply will be a challange either if is linear or switched. to avoid all the problems associated with a smps most peoples prefer to use linear supply, which is more simple, robust but more bulky and heavy. and of course more expensive.
as a conclusion, depending on the application, tyope of smps and installation (wiring, shielding) the smps can perform better or worse than an equivalent power linear stage. for a switched amplifier, class D or T i would preffer to use SMPS. if is classD and the smps sw. freq. is synchronised with the amp sw. freq. the noise can be cancelled almost complete.

the smps which i designed are at least as good as the linear supply stages IF they are installed correctly, wired according with the instructions and matched with the parameters of the amp. the slightest error can lead to decreased performances, noise, and even failure.

lhgin said:
Cristi - I sent you question on the purchasing TA3020 module. Have you got it?

Heng Gin

i got it and sent answer already.

cnx said:

there are few types of smps. some of them better than others, some of them worst. an audio grade smps will perform as good as an usual linear power stage made of mains power transformer, rectifier bridge and filter capacitors. for hi-end audio amplifiers which have SN ratio better than 115dB, the power supply will be a challange either if is linear or switched. to avoid all the problems associated with a smps most peoples prefer to use linear supply, which is more simple, robust but more bulky and heavy. and of course more expensive.
as a conclusion, depending on the application, tyope of smps and installation (wiring, shielding) the smps can perform better or worse than an equivalent power linear stage. for a switched amplifier, class D or T i would preffer to use SMPS. if is classD and the smps sw. freq. is synchronised with the amp sw. freq. the noise can be cancelled almost complete.

the smps which i designed are at least as good as the linear supply stages IF they are installed correctly, wired according with the instructions and matched with the parameters of the amp. the slightest error can lead to decreased performances, noise, and even failure.
Great! Thanks a lot for Your very clear and comprehensive explanation. I think I'll take one module TA3020 v3b and one of Your SMPS when they will be available again.
Another little question: do You think that with the SMPS is better however to take also something like a Soft Start or Speaker Protection module?
Thanks again and best regards,
Christian

Powersoftstart is not required with the SMPS which i made since they have already built in this function. it is required only for medium-large mains transformers, or for some SMPS from various manufacturers which may draw huge current at power on and the mains fuses may trip.
the speaker protection is still recomended to be used, since will connect the loudspeaers with a small delay, and will add one more level of protection to the amplifier.

i'm not sure if i understand the question, but to identify if a SMPS is suitable to be used in audio, there are few simple aspects which need to take into account.
a SMPS used for audio have different requirements than one used for computers, TV, telecom, or any kind of equipment which has almost constant current draw with slight changes.
to meet the peak transient requirement for an audio amplifier, the psu must be first of all able to sustain that power without entering in current limit mode, and to have fast enoght reaction loop to track the output voltage variation and to regulate. first goal can be achieved by proper sizing of the main components, transformer, transistors, and diodes, and by adding big storage capacitors which will increase hold-up time.
usually smps for audio are underrated, unable to sustain the maximum power for a long period of time. nbut they still work fine in audio. this is because the audio power spectral density is 1/8 to 1/3 of the rated power. in other words, an amplifier rated at 100W with an efficiency of 90% will draw 100/90*0.3 W = 33W in normal opperation and maximum 88W peak.
if the power supply is correctly designed to sustain the peak power without eing unstable (too fast reaction loop can lead to instability) and have big enough storage caps, which can supply most of the energy required durring peaks than can be succesfully used for an amplifier.
another aspects will be the EMI generated, this should be small enough to to interfere with the amplifier, or other electroic equipments and to be under the standard limits.

cnx said:
.......... to identify if a SMPS is suitable to be used in audio, there are few simple aspects which need to take into account.
..........................to meet the peak transient requirement for an audio amplifier, the psu must be first of all able to sustain that power without entering in current limit mode,
................... to have fast enough reaction loop to track the output voltage variation and to regulate
..................... by adding big storage capacitors which will increase hold-up time.
...............usually smps for audio are underrated, unable to sustain the maximum power for a long period of time.
......................................if the power supply is correctly designed to sustain the peak power without being unstable (too fast reaction loop can lead to instability) and have big enough storage caps, which can supply most of the energy required during peaks than can be successfully used for an amplifier.
lot's of general guidance and advice.
Now tell us how we identify if an SMPS can meet the
peak transient requirement for an audio amplifier, the psu must be first of all able to sustain that power without entering in current limit mode,

Status
Not open for further replies.