• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NEW Audio amplifier kits, modules and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly have no intention of buying random SMPS without some expert guidance. I know that I know nothing about SMPS, except that they alone cannot cheaply meet the peak current requirements of a power amplifier.

Interesting, Iv'e been randomly buying cheap SMPS and just trying them to see how they go. I have successfully powered a 41hz amp9-basic 4X100W from a 24v 14A 350w meanwell, A SureElectronics 2x100W from a 19v 3.5A laptop supply, A Lepai Tripath TA2020 from a Toshiba 15v laptop supply etc... The amps are all Class-D and they may not be reaching their peak power requirements but they are all performing very well in either home HiFi or cheap PA rigs.

col.

now i can connect to paypal. seems that was some problem with connection, and now is working.
Toke, i got your order, i will send the boards next days. sorry for the inconvenience caused by malfunction. can you please send me a mail in which you can describe what error you encountered ? this will be usefull to prevent this to happen again. thank-you.

cnx: I received the ta3020 board today. It looks to be a very well made. I still haven't gotten a p/s for my project, but I think I may be able to scavenge something from my work. Anyhow, I'll let you know how it turns out when all is said and done. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later, as I've been really busy with work these days.

TA3020 V3b doesnt work

Hi cnx,

i bought a TA3020 v3b.
I connected all the wires except the inputs.
On the output i connectet a Multimeter for testing.
After power on, i heard a noise like "ppffffffttt".
After this, it smells a little bit combusted :-(

Now....i cant see any error on the connections, so whats going on?
Is the TA3020 dead?

Please help!

Cheers,
Guenther
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like you sent the SPS80 SMPS jumper to 85V. :dead:

Have you checked the SMPS output before connecting?

64V should be the max for TA3020. Not sure if there are any over-voltage protection on the board. Cristi should be able to comment...

By the way, you need proper heatsinking for SPS80 SMPS as well by mounting it on a proper chassis with cooling fins or such...

what is the voltage of the smps at idle, and what is maximum peak voltage when you power on ? can you measure this ? can be the supply voltage higher than the maximum allowed for the board, even for short time when power on. the smell indicates that the one of the 33 Ohm resistors from the auxilliary supply was burned. this happens when the voltage is over 70V even for short period of time, because the voltage regulator ic cannot handle more than 70. can you check the output transistors, and then need to see if the TA3020 ic is still ok.

Guenther, please contact me on email, to help you solve the problem.

to prevent this to happen in the future, i want to remind for all the peoples which bought and use TA2022, TA3020, TA0105 amplfiers with trird-party SMPS to measure the voltage of the SMPS to be within working limits, and very important the startup transient voltage, which at some SMPS can be bigger than the normal working value. i had one more case with a SMPS which destroyed an amplifier because when power-on, the voltage was with about 20-25% higher than maximum which the board can addmit. as a measure of safety, i consider absolutely necessary to connect a voltage transient suppressor on each rail. this can be some special zenner diodes, designed to protect for overvoltages, or MOV (metal oxide varistors) the value should be 36V for TA2022 amplifier, 64V for TA3020 amplifier, and 85V for TA0105A low impedance.
this transient voltage suppressors are made by few companies like Fairchild, ST, MIC, and many others. the instantaneous power rating should be at least 1500W for TA2022, 3000W for TA3020 and 5000W for TA0105. few part numbers: SMCJ85CA
i will put some links to the manufacturer part number catalog:
http://61.222.192.61/mccsemi/up_pdf/tvs.pdf for MCC
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/sitese...3//asc&domains=fairchild_db:part_number&text= for Faircild
http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/st/com/selector/index.html#querycriteria=RNP139=12 for ST

another very important aspect is to connect on the power supply rails electolytic capacitors with the value of at least 10,000uF for TA3020 and 15,000uF for TA0105A on each rail. this capacitors will also prevent the voltage variation due to the consumption and bus pumping.

a more simpe or alternative to the voltage supressor, for those which doesn't have this parts available, but with some power dissipation is to use power resistors connected in paralled with big capacitors. this should have the value of 330R at 5W for TA2022 amplifier, 2 pcs one for each rail, 470-560R at min.10W for TA3020 amplifier, and 560-680R at 15W for TA0105 amplifier. the resistors should have same value for each rail.
another method is to use a zenner voltage limit circuit similar with a crowbar, but instead shorting the voltage, will connect the power resistor in the circuit. i will explain how to do this if there are peoples interested. also, i can explain how to measure the maximum transient voltage with just a multimeter and few components.

Guenther_r said:
Now ive seen, that R12 and R14 (at the output) are broken....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

are they R12 and R14 from the amplifier ? if yes, this 2 resistors are from Zobel network, and if they are burned this indicates that the amplifier was osscilating or amplifiyng very high frequencies, >20KHz. this ussualy happen when the input is left unconnected and close to the output or if you touch the input when the amp is running.

can you measure the transistors ? this resistors must be replaced with same or close to the initial value, 15R at 2W.

the wire which i see there if made a short-circuit, was between -V and GND, the amplifier should survive, the wire should be molten already or the power supply to go in overprotection mode. what kind of wire is it ? can you take-it out and place onto a white paper and make a photo ?
anyway, if would be a shortcircuit between those 2 pins at 50V they will be black already and could see spark traces, the capacitors have enough energy to leave serious burns in case of sc.
as i said before, the problem must be an amplifier instability, oscillation on very high freq. due to the wires left unconnected, maybe too close to the smps. try again the amp after replacing the resistors, with the input shorted to gnd.
did the fuses survived ?

Vibeguy said:
Hi,

A friend in Washington State, USA, and myself, in California get error messages when trying to complete a PayPal transaction.

What's the secret to placing an order?

Thanks

i'm trying to find out what't happent, last weeks more and more such errors, i will replace the website software asap.
please send me email with the ordered products list and i will send you paypal invoice directely.

Status
Not open for further replies.