need help reaching 140db in my house!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi justint,

You will probably need corner loading to get to your design parameters: 140dB@40Hz and 135+dB@35Hz.

In hornresp, I tried quad JBL GTO1214s in a tapped horn and in a bass reflex enclosure. In a corner a single TH will get you there @ 680 L_net, the BR will get close @ 280 L_net (two will exceed your targets easily). No losses, no port compression, solid corner.......

The drivers are right now on ebay for $160.50 for 2ea. free shipping:2 JBL GTO1214D CAR AUDIO 12" SUBWOOFERS/SUBS 4-OHM PAIR | eBay

Regards,

Attachments

• jbl_4_br.txt
    459 bytes · Views: 41
  • jbl_4_th.txt
    483 bytes · Views: 28
140db.... u are nuts. I think what u really want is to have your chest and internals rearranged on every dub step beat. O.k. That can be arranged.
IMO To get the sound of a concert system beating the crap out of you in a small square room you need to approach it differently. You need over 30 feet to make a bass wave in the first place so a horn is NOT going to work at those levels in such a small space. Try a bank of Alpine rs 15 inch car speakers. Small room equals car stereo approach.
Wire each speaker in series for 8 ohms (dual 4 ohm coils). Stick em each in a 3cu ft box with 2 4 inch ports per box or a floor to ceiling box with 3 in each box. Power them with
a crest crown or qsc professional amp. That wont get you 140db but it will literally tear the house apart. I have a single one on my vdrum drumkit in a 3ft box w 250w and it shakes a reinforced concrete building. Doesn't seem very loud.
If u r gonna be that nuts then u better do the following.....

Place a contact mic on the outside wall of the house. Using a tone generator sweep the frequencies from 120hz and below slowly. On an oscilliscope or meters on your mixer watch for peaks from the mic. If you hit a peak and it keeps rising at a specific frequency, and the house is making funny noises...you have a problem. That frequency will cause structural failure somewhere. Do the same thing on the ceiling and inside walls and floor. What you are looking for is to see if those low frequencies you want are going to collapse the house on top of your darn head. Yes it can be done. Every structure has a set of resonant frequencies. Houses are not built to sustain such an assault. Concrete is quite dangerous in this respect vs a wood house. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

By the way...there is a limit to how loud you can get in a given space. A 140db horn speaker in a 25x25 ft room is not going to "sound" as loud as it will in a 60x100 foot space. Horns need room to breathe at such levels, when they can breathe the pain begins. You need something designed for megabass in a small space...

My subs cause me chest pain after about 5 hours at a gig, I dont drink or drug either... You are playing with fire here. Thats my two cents for what its worth.

Last edited:
He needs to go get the McCauley M421, it's a 30Hz capable device. And once he realizes he doesn't need it he can sell it to pay for house repairs.

WOW:eek: Now that's a sub! That'll do it. Someone was making quad 21" back in the 80's before the new advances in speaker technology ..BRUTAL even back then.
Thanks Neo for pointing that beast out :cool:

Bass is bass, you do not need long distances to develop bass frequencies otherwise subs would be useless in a car or the average home living room. Horns with high efficiency + 100 db loaded into 0.5 pi will certainly bang the crap out more than a bunch of 86 db low efficiency car subs. And be easier on your amps and wallet. On the other hand some car subs work very well in horns.

horns do need some distance to develop bass.
Rule of thumb is you need to be a wavelength away (I used a w-bin in a house).

Norman

Anyone know why that is?

Seems odd that you won't hear as much at the horn mouth as you will further away. Room nodes aside, that seems impossible.

To second what screamerusa has said - I've heard of someone bringing the ceiling down at a party, with (apparently) a pair of 12" 2-way PA speakers. Those would be like a little iPod dock sat next to what you're thinking of building. I would seriously reconsider your targets, but if you're determined to carry on, I'll be watching with interest.

Top 10 Loudest Noises

#10 Rock Concert: 135-145 decibels

# 6 Space Shuttle Launch: 165-170 decibels

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

# 1 Tunguska Meteor: 300-315 decibels

302?(N) TUNGUSTA SIBERIA METEOR, BLEW DOWN HOUSES 600 MILES AWAY -REF.1.3. 1989 302.0488 db(Q) = dynamic pressure from a 100000 atmospheres overpressure
310 (N)KRAKATOA VOLCANO ERUPTION-1883 A.D., CRACKED ONE FOOT THICK CONCRETE AT 300 MILES, CREATED A 3000 FOOT TIDAL WAVE, HEARD 3100 MILES AWAY, SOUND PRESSURE CAUSED BAROMETERS TO FLUCTUATE WILDLY AT 100 MILES INDICATING LEVELS OF AT LEAST 170-190 DB (P) AT THIS DISTANCE OF 100 MILES EVEN WHEN SHOUTING IN SOMEONES EAR, COULD NOT BE HEARD AT 100 MILES CAUSED FOG TO APPEAR AND DISAPPEAR INSTANTLY AT HUNDREDS OF MILES ROCKS WERE THROWN TO A HIEGHT OF 34 MILES. DUST AND DEBRIS FELL CONTINOUSLY FOR 10 DAYS AFTER BLAST. PRODUCED VERY COLORFUL SUNSETS FOR ONE YEAR, EJECTED 4 CUBIC MILES OF THE EARTH. CREATED ANTI-NODE OF NEGATIVE PRESSURE AT THE EXACT OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE EARTH.SOUND COVERED 1 / 10 OF THE WORLDS SURFACE, SHOCK (SOUND) WAVES “ECHOED” AROUND THE EARTH 36 TIMES AND LASTED FOR ABOUT A MONTH! -REF.19.

316 (N)VOLCANO ERUPTION SORANTINI, ITALY,1470 B.C. ALTHOUGH MORE ENERGY THAN KRAKATOA, IT BLEW UP OVER A LONGER PERIOD OF DAYS AND NOT AS VIOLENTLY, HENCE THE INSTANT PEAK PRESSURE IS BELIEVED TO BE LOWER -REF.1.3. THAN KRAKATOA. 15 CUBIC MILES EJECTED, CREATED TIDAL WAVE 165 FEET HIGH AT A DISTANCE OF 80 MILES -REF.3.

320 (N)VOLCANO ERUPTION, TAMBORA INDONESIA,1815, EJECTED 36 CUBIC MILES.APPROXIMATELY EQUAL TO
14,000 MEGATON NUCLEAR BOMBS OR A 14 GIGATON BOMB BASED ON EJECTED VOLUME,CHANGE IN MEGATONS TIMES 1.345 EQUALS VOLUME EJECTED CHANGE.IF WAS A NUCLEAR BOMB IT WOULD CREATE A CRATER ABOUT 12.4 MILES WIDE AND 1.33 MILES DEEP.INTERNAL PRESSURE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABOUT 47 MILLION P.S.I. = 347 DB (P) -REF.1.3.

Last edited:
noisy stuff!

302?(N) TUNGUSTA SIBERIA METEOR, BLEW DOWN HOUSES 600 MILES AWAY -REF.1.3. 1989 302.0488 db(Q) = dynamic pressure from a 100000 atmospheres overpressure 310 (N)KRAKATOA VOLCANO ERUPTION-1883 A.D., CRACKED ONE FOOT THICK CONCRETE AT 300 MILES, CREATED A 3000 FOOT TIDAL WAVE, HEARD 3100 MILES AWAY, SOUND PRESSURE CAUSED BAROMETERS TO FLUCTUATE WILDLY AT 100 MILES INDICATING LEVELS OF AT LEAST 170-190 DB (P) AT THIS DISTANCE OF 100 MILES EVEN WHEN SHOUTING IN SOMEONES EAR, COULD NOT BE HEARD AT 100 MILES CAUSED FOG TO APPEAR AND DISAPPEAR INSTANTLY AT HUNDREDS OF MILES ROCKS WERE THROWN TO A HIEGHT OF 34 MILES. DUST AND DEBRIS FELL CONTINOUSLY FOR 10 DAYS AFTER BLAST. PRODUCED VERY COLORFUL SUNSETS FOR ONE YEAR, EJECTED 4 CUBIC MILES OF THE EARTH. CREATED ANTI-NODE OF NEGATIVE PRESSURE AT THE EXACT OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE EARTH.SOUND COVERED 1 / 10 OF THE WORLDS SURFACE, SHOCK (SOUND) WAVES “ECHOED” AROUND THE EARTH 36 TIMES AND LASTED FOR ABOUT A MONTH! -REF.19. 316 (N)VOLCANO ERUPTION SORANTINI, ITALY,1470 B.C. ALTHOUGH MORE ENERGY THAN KRAKATOA, IT BLEW UP OVER A LONGER PERIOD OF DAYS AND NOT AS VIOLENTLY, HENCE THE INSTANT PEAK PRESSURE IS BELIEVED TO BE LOWER -REF.1.3. THAN KRAKATOA. 15 CUBIC MILES EJECTED, CREATED TIDAL WAVE 165 FEET HIGH AT A DISTANCE OF 80 MILES -REF.3. 320 (N)VOLCANO ERUPTION, TAMBORA INDONESIA,1815, EJECTED 36 CUBIC MILES.APPROXIMATELY EQUAL TO 14,000 MEGATON NUCLEAR BOMBS OR A 14 GIGATON BOMB BASED ON EJECTED VOLUME,CHANGE IN MEGATONS TIMES 1.345 EQUALS VOLUM

shouting is quite appropriate here ;)

however, I have read repeatedly that the maximum possible sound pressure level in air is under 200 dB, as the air itself would ... what was it disintegrate, or the molecules would split, or something. Maybe one of you guys can straighten me out?

regards, Ben

if you want to reproduce a symmetrical sinewave in air then one is limited to a negative half wave that is at zero psi absolute pressure. As one approaches the low negative pressures, the 2nd harmonic becomes enormous.

When considering an asymmetrical pressure wave the positive pressure can be many times atmospheric pressure.
That's where the >200dB figures come from.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.