need help reaching 140db in my house!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All the whining about SPL in this thread is just lame. It's reminding me of the old AVS Dirty Harriet thread. It's easy to get this kind of output in a car, and just like in the car $hit is going to break. So quit whining and help him get it done. The aftermath will be much more entertaining than this anyway. :D

YEE-ugh. My man. :D

This thread is so full of weak sauce right now. "Please don't or your house will collapse.". "Don't hurt your hearing" " I collapsed 2 walls in my house, my aunt Gurtrude's ribcage and some nice crystal stem ware." blah blah BLAH...I call BS on all of this supposed structural damage that will occur. That way if nothing happens I win. If the house collapses due to sheer bass awesomeness I win also. ;)

hey help me out on the other thread with the kicker 15" L7 trying to hit 120+ @ 30hz or tell me a different subwoofer that I should buy to accomplish this .. I am going to add it to the 2 Eminence 15's that I got already set up for the living room.. maybe just some solid low end bass and low 130's for 40hz up is plenty for now..

This should do 130 + dB down low

As nobody has taken Jbell up on his concept, and the output meets the requirements outlined in JustinT's most recent post....

I am building 2 half dubhorns next week.
Each half containing 2 drivers should be able to hit 131 dB from 20 Hz upwards, if I have interpreted JBell's chart correctly.
And that is at half their maximum voltage!

- JustinT, you might consider building half of what I am building, i.e. a quarter dubhorn, as it'd go deep and hit high one hundred and twenties dB-wise... and at 16 x 16 x 60 inches, will go neatly behind your TV. It's also a very quick and simple design (less for me to screw up as the shop can precut everything!)

I'll let you know how I get on - Unfortunately I suspect my cheap dB meter may be inadequate for low frequencies, but I'll give it a go. Optionally, if one of you can talk me through it, I have a Behringer DEQ and matching test mic that could be used for measurements.

If the plans seem in need of any amendments, please let me know before I start making sawdust on Monday. :)

(a second pair to follow if they are as good as they seem)

Regards, Ben

p.s. aside from the man himself, will I be the first to build 3 different Jbell designs?

Last edited:
All the whining about SPL in this thread is just lame. It's reminding me of the old AVS Dirty Harriet thread. It's easy to get this kind of output in a car, and just like in the car $hit is going to break. So quit whining and help him get it done. The aftermath will be much more entertaining than this anyway. :D

+1,

It seems like a bunch of boring old retired people warning the young guy to stay away from drugs/acohol and women...Yawn!!!

Either people have a design that can help the OP or they should worry about their own sorry little world more (some need to!!).

-or-

Just pass the geritol so we can all have the same buzz kill :D

Maybe the true problem here is that most here have crap little spaces to deal with, did anyone outside of NeoDan realize that space???? I have a 50x30x12 family room with raise kitchen....We need SPL for parties. Its not my fault your house can fit in my family room or you do not have enough party life in you any more.

Sorry OP, the regulars here are 70+ years old and live in shoe boxes ;)

Last edited:
Crimes, where has the fun gone?

If you want seriously loud bass I can offer a couple of tips:
-1- Dirty big horns (built some 25Hz horn loaded subs using 18" PA drivers few years back). For efficiency with decent - for a sub - bandwidth I kind of doubt there is a better way.

The photo has one of the pair of subs (hey - if you are gonna build one, you might as well build two!), and I also needed to acoustically couple them to achieve decent output to 25Hz. The chair does give some sense of scale, but in my "play room" which was 40 by 40 feet, you could FEEL the bass in your guts. Hilarious.

or:

-2- Get up close and personal with the subs. the photo of the couch has 4*15" subs in it. It is 800 litres in volume, and is ported out the top of the couch. Tuned to 18Hz, and has a 3dB point of 19Hz. The amplifier provides 250W into each driver. Crossed at 70-80Hz, it is surprising how little you can sense the location of the sub - even though you are sitting on it.

It is probably one of the dumbest things I have built, but it was on a bet. I never did collect on that....

Attachments

• sub with chair.jpg
    sub with chair.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC04969.jpg
    DSC04969.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 202
Ok so I built another box and it starts getting crazy over 130db and especially over 120 around 30hz . I got light bulbs popping from the vibration, silverware jumping around in it's cabinet light fixtures rattling, fireplace sounds like a tin can, I am getting nauseous from the lower frequency .. Just plain ridiculous but I love it thanks for all the help but low 130's is plenty for this guy

:D Is that with the 30Hz filter on in the amp? I dunno if it'll live very long without it, the suspension would take an awful beating. I would be careful about clipping the amp but I have sneaking suspicion that it will take nearly all the clean power that amp has to offer. @~40Hz the woofer will be giving you all it's got, it's most vulnerable to damage there - well above 30Hz anyway. Out of curiosity have you run the crossover up ~120Hz? I dunno if the spike is as prominent as in the sim but it should be LOUD up there. How does it sound to you?

If you get a chance try the amp bridged on just the L7, it should be a good match. And I'm curious about how it sounds on it's own. The sims tend to show higher peaks than you actually get because they don't assume any losses. So I had figured that the end result would be just a little fat in the mid 30's but shut down quickly below 30Hz. Dose it sound too fat, or is it smooth on it's own? Thanks for building and sharing the results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.