need help reaching 140db in my house!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My my my

a 60" subwoofer . ..

60Inches.jpg

..here is what i will give up for space 7ft wide 7 feet tall and 3 feet deep.. What is the loudest I can get with that type of box space..

Hi, You might reach your SPL goal if you push this suggestion or a similar size = 7x7x3 cu.feet FLH( Recycling your 2 Eminence 15" drivers) towards your room corner:

b:)

Attachments

• 2xEminenceKappaLite-3015LF_FLH.GIF
    2xEminenceKappaLite-3015LF_FLH.GIF
    141.7 KB · Views: 263
Top 10 Loudest Noises

#10 Rock Concert: 135-145 decibels

# 6 Space Shuttle Launch: 165-170 decibels

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

# 1 Tunguska Meteor: 300-315 decibels

I am under the impression that the highest attainable SPL corresponds to a level ofsomewhere in the 190's limited by the negative pressure side reaching zero absolute pressure.

these posts are awesome!! the knowledge is good.. regardless of hearing loss I am building this system.. I am not sure if I can go 4 double 15's or 18's because i don't want my house to look ridiculous when i have guests in the living room but here is what i will give up for space 7ft wide 7 feet tall and 3 feet deep.. What is the loudest I can get with that type of box space.. Oh by the way this is a corner area behind my 65" tv which is on a stand i can post picture if anyone needs.. currently you can't see my two TH 3015LF's which are behind the TV and stand 44" tall..

With that much space you can choose any cabinet that floats your boat... including the one you currently have. Just lay them on their side mouths together in your corner. You can use kappa pro 15lf2's to keep the cost down. (since 3015lf's are expensive these days)

Build as many as you think you need. Personally I would go for just short of your goal, and build 4 additional for a total of 6.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/185836-3015lf-th-35-40hz-but-only-20-deep-help-3.html Although 8 should fit in the space you have.

This is just an up/back TH. start at 4"x16" go up to 6"x16" and back at 12"x16"...

Attachments

• justint.JPG
    justint.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
This system (large woofers with updated 3 way satellites) will give you around 130 dB with about 200-500 watts. I can't imagine doing that in a house. Do you realize what you are asking for or is this just something you think you want? 140dB knocks the feathers out of a chicken.

Attachments

• IMG_7652.jpg
    IMG_7652.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_199.jpg
    IMG_199.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 132
i seriously want to get as close to 140+ db as possible.. i listen often with my current levels where its normally 120-125db around the house and its just not enough bass.. I am pretty much tapped on power with my current setup just from a wiring setup though as my circuit breaker would trip if I added more power.. so realistically it has to be as close as I can get to 140+ with just using my QSC2450..

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
:hphones:
...... i listen often with my current levels where its normally 120-125db around the house

and I guess the top of it being distortion :eek:

maybe even more distortion will get you to 140db :D

in a house I reckon 140db of clean bass will be impossible
and it will probably go wrong long before that

but a nice violent booom might be possible
fore simulating an earthquake maybe
but music ? I doubt it

but even so, probably wasted
your ears brain will turn down your hearing sensitivity:lifesavr:
and you wont hear half of it anyway:hphones:

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
here is what i will give up for space 7ft wide 7 feet tall and 3 feet deep.. What is the loudest I can get with that type of box space.... Oh by the way this is a corner area behind my 65" tv which is on a stand.......

If you have a big screen TV in the room to play movies and are willing to give up that kind of space for a subwoofer, (I estimated an internal enclosure volume of 112.7 cubic feet deducting for 1.5 inch enclosure walls and also 10% for bracing and vents), then I think you are making a mistake stopping at only 40 Hz or even 30 Hz.

As long as you are going to go this big, you should be able to get outrageous output down to 16 Hz and yes-you will feel the difference. There's a whole sonic world down there below 40 Hz-and most commercial subwoofers are too small to really access it.

so currently for build options i am seeing 6 of my Th's or the othorn thing .. anyone else have any designs for boxes ?? that work within the given space.. I kind of would be interested in the down to 30hz option if someone has a box for that .. and i could do down to 30hz at say 130db .. that should make some people sick literally ha

Surface area,Surface area,Surface area, is your best bet.

I am not trying to push dipoles by any means but you can get alot of displacement in a much smaller area then the box method and you should have a much lower THD figure as well for a much cleaner BOOM !

Just a few things to consider as it all depends on what your requirements are besides just being loud. he,he
jer :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.