NaO Note II RS

Hi Ultramaroon,
This is probably quite a bit late... Yet, it looks like new Minidsp Flex 8 https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-flex-eight
may be ideal for the job. I think I would go this road if/when my 4x10hd gives up.
Hey ai1,

Thanks for the update. I actually just saw that myself... my system has been humming along just fine with the refurbished 4x10HD, but now i'm tempted to get the flex eight and see if I can figure out how to program it. I don't think the old xml files are PnP compatible... Would also then be able to play around with the Dirac live stuff.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have Flex 8. the saved files are not compatible, but if you load the XML file into the 4x10HD and then look at what the filters, levels, delays and parametric EQ or biquads are doing; you can then program them into the Flex 8.

Then save your settings and voila- you have your own XML file!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sorry for confusion, I never had the 4x10HD sorry.

I am familiar with the biquads and how the files are saved as I’ve used multiple miniDSP products in the past.

The Flex8 is in my main listening room and it’s been functioning without compare from the beginning.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
@rrrudi

Have you asked @john k... whether he's considering open sourcing the plans? or some kind of license free for personal use?

Now that we know more about 360 degree/polar response and open baffle-less speakers, and with Peerless drivers are fast disappearing and all other driver prices going up.. get in before it's gone forever. Probably the only 4 way open baffle that doesn't cost a bomb.

Last edited:
@rrrudi

Have you asked @john k... whether he's considering open sourcing the plans? or some kind of license free for personal use?

Now that we know more about 360 degree/polar response and open baffle-less speakers, and with Peerless drivers are fast disappearing and all other driver prices going up.. get in before it's gone forever. Probably the only 4 way open baffle that doesn't cost a bomb.
We know the design basics, the driver selection, the shape size & config of the enclosure and baffle & the crossover points (LR4 @ 120Hz, 1kHz & 6KHz) and even reference target data: https://musicanddesign.speakerdesign.net/NaO_Note_II_RS_Details.html If John K. isn't selling or supporting the design any more, you already have all you need to develop a 4-way x-over for the system with minidsp 4x10 HD or Flex 8 + appropriate mic.

Note: I'm not encouraging piracy; just pointing out the obvious. This is DIY, after all; we all learn, copy & borrow from each other.

Solen still lists the NaO Note II RS drivers kit -- https://solen.ca/en/products/nao-note-ii-rs-open-baffle-loudspeaker-kit

I actually bought the plans from John. Ended up building a pair of open baffles combining aspects of his design & Linkwitz's LX521, John's mid driver choices (those ScanSpeaks are SO good!), along with a dipole AMT tweeter, and dual SBA 10" drivers (SB29SWNRX-S75-6) in a "W-frame" open baffle bass config. Measured & developed my own version of the crossovers using 4x10 HD until it measured & sounded just right to me -- and a whole lot of other folks. Turned into the best loudspeakers I've owned, close to the best I've heard.

BTW, that W-frame dual opposed woofer setup is so much better, imo & measurements, than the "M-frame" for vibration cancellation. I built M-frame enclosures first but didn't like the amount of vibration in the panels. If you're crossing steeply around 100Hz, the main downside of the W-frame, increased amplitude of the cavity resonance at 3~400Hz, is simply not a factor. With LR4, the bass output is down 48dB in 2 octaves (400Hz).

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
@silent mike Yeah I've purchased plans too. NaO 2 (which I built), NaO Note II RS and LX521 which I never had the time to.

I'm talking about the issues relating to rolling my own for own personal use (all OK) vs doing mods/and sending these files out to people who are not ( yet) able to do rework the files for the 4x10HD (now discontinued) files for the Flex 8.

This I will not do without some kind of agreement with @john k...

Last edited:
I am contacting a friend to see if he and host the plan set for the NaO Note II RS on my archived site for download.

I'm talking about the issues relating to rolling my own for own personal use (all OK) vs doing mods/and sending these files out to people who are not ( yet) able to do rework the files for the 4x10HD (now discontinued) files for the Flex 8.
Re the Flex 8, assuming it has the same sampling rate (96k) as the 4x10 (or 2x8) all you need to do is to download the 2x8 plug-in, https://www.minidsp.com/userdownloads/minidsp-plug-ins/minidsp-4x10-10x10-plugins, then load the Note crossover file in it. That will allow you to see the standard filter types and the advanced biquad settings for some of the filters and EQ. From there I would assume you can copy and past them into the Flex 8.

Just realized than I can post the files here. SLS is for the SLS woofer, XLS is for the XLS woofer. The crossover file labeled 2nd order is recommended. Also uses the optional, updated cabinet if you build it.

Attachments

• Note II RS package SLS.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 793
  • NaO Note II RS package XLS.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 480
  • Thank You
Reactions: 12 users
@silent mike NaO Note II RS and LX521 which I never had the time to@john k...
Same, it is good to support the designers - thanks to them.
Thanks John for open sourcing the design.... I learned a lot (wow, has it really been 10 years) by tinkering with the design (baffle shapes and speaker height mostly, and bass sections), and having a "default" to compare to .... it is really quite good IMVHO.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Here’s the last generation NaO-
342B6A29-233E-4126-B8DB-F05F530605F2.jpeg

I once took rear measurements of the NaO’s rear output and it was impressive. The measurements are one another PC somewhere, but essentially the rear output looks almost the same as the front.

59DD077D-11E9-4038-91D9-32422379DA6F.jpeg

Then John released his next generation full dipole 4 way NaO II RS, but life got in the way (work, marriage, kids) so I never managed to build it.

All the NaO II RS drivers are outstanding value, the miniDSP 4x10HD was a cinch to setup.
IIRC, the main concern most potential builder has was being able to afford 8 channels of amplification (of the quality they are accustomed to). But amplification is now cheap as chips. The miniDSP Flex 8 is not unreasonably priced, nor 8 channels of DA conversion in a PC-based USB audio interface.

The NaO series was really was ahead of it's time.

The only problem is the drivers are slowly disappearing... or disappeared. But still available at Solen.ca

https://www.solen.ca/en/products/nao-note-ii-rs-open-baffle-loudspeaker-kit

or down under in Australia from the old Peerless distributor. Get it before it's gone!

Thank you dear John for all that you have shared over the years. Words cannot express the gratitude we feel for everything you have taught us and inspired us to build listen and design…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you John for releasing the Nao II RS drivers. I had your Nao Note speakers and they were great - only complaint is that the peerless XXLS woofer weren't very good after Linkwitz transform in the plans. They distort whenever placing moderately bass heavy music - not sure if my drivers are damaged or if this is normal.