• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

my_ref revC group buy (Mauro Penasa LM3886 design)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: you are scaring us

schro20 said:
What's actually wrong? What are the symptoms?

peter

DON"T be scared, be excited!! I am!!!

Issue was MINE not the kits!!

The stereo imaging was off and diffused...

I wired the binding posts wrong... :rolleyes:

The speakers were reversed polarity... I reversed the speaker wire at the binding post on the right side and am listening to 3 Blind Mice and Tori Amos..

Both sound wonderful..

Oh yeah, DC offset, I had 0.1mV on the right channel and 1.2mV on the right. That was cd, passive pre and speakers connected. I have not tried input shorted because that was PLENTY good enough for me!!

Quick recap before I leave to go enjoy the beautiful day here...

1. All parts that need it are clearly labeled.
2. It took me two nights and about 2.5 - 3 hours per night to assemble the PCB's. I would budget 8 hrs to do a good thorough job.
3. The amps draw more than 1/4 amp AC (US 120 VAC) so at least a 2-4 amp fuse.
4. Insulate the chip before turn on!!
5. My heat sink never even got warm from the two chips..
6. Print out a picture of the PCB because once you solder on the screw terminals you can't see which one is hot and ground or pin 1 and 2.
7. When pushing the female faston connectors onto the males support the PCB from beneath to protect from over flexing.

Other than that they play and sound great right out of the box. I will report again once they have "broken in" and I can put them in the living room in a "proper" setup.

Floyd
Seriously? Well just wait til you build it and it WORKS. For me it was like drugs. I got all shakey to turn on my first amp and when it worked I was so lit it was like downing a 6 pack of beer in a half hour. Yeah yeah I know its cheesey, but most people reading this get it LOL. We are all hooked and you still have time to get out :) Before your sock drawers are full of weird capacitors and you have more heatsinks than you know what to do with and transformers that were a good deal but what the heck amp runs that voltage anyway?@?@!!
I am psyched its your first build to. We will help you as much as you need and as much as we can. Game on!!
:)
Uriah

udailey said:
Awesome! ......Troy, would be interested in pics of your speakers, especially if they are DIY as well.....

They are SS Revelator tweets, B&W 805 Kevlar mids and the XO's were LEAP designed, tuned and built by Meniscus Audio.

I put them in generic "woodstyle" cabs for now. I have the matching cabs for the woofers. Eventually they will be rebuilt into a single cab active 3-way.

Attachments

• dsc01982 (medium).jpg
    dsc01982 (medium).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 325
udailey said:
Floyd
Seriously? Well just wait til you build it and it WORKS. For me it was like drugs. I got all shakey to turn on my first amp and when it worked I was so lit it was like downing a 6 pack of beer in a half hour. Yeah yeah I know its cheesey, but most people reading this get it LOL. We are all hooked and you still have time to get out :) Before your sock drawers are full of weird capacitors and you have more heatsinks than you know what to do with and transformers that were a good deal but what the heck amp runs that voltage anyway?@?@!!
I am psyched its your first build to. We will help you as much as you need and as much as we can. Game on!!
:)
Uriah

haha, let me rephrase, it's my first speaker amp build.:D My room is already a mess of Mouser & digikey orders and packaging. I've been into DIY audio for almost 2 years now, but up to this point it's been all headphone stuff..2 cmoys, 2 AlienDACs (not strictly for cans, tho it's all I've used em for so far), and 2 Millett Hybrid Maxes. I'm about to start soldering a prototype board for a re-layout of the PPAS...also recently ordered (most of the) parts for a B1.

So ya, it's far too late to save me :devilr:

I think I'll do up that light bulb tester while I'm waiting for my kit, so I don't forget in my excitement once I get it. And again, a HUGE thanks to peter and uriah. I've run a couple of much smaller and simpler group buys before, and I can't IMAGINE how much work this one must be. You guys are AWESOME:cheers: :worship:

fredlock said:
Troy,

Nice woofer! Did you DIY the woofer or you bought it ready made? Are both speakers active or one just passive?

Fred

Woofers are 2 x Parts Express 10" aluminum cone 8 Ohm. Can't comment on the sound yet as they have never been played... :xeye:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-368

The cabinet is also the "woodstyle" cabinet. It was a company out of Ca that Mr. Gerald bought his cabs from.

EDIT:

2 x 10" is ~ equal to a single 15" woofer. The old system had paper cone 15's in a 1.24 cu ft sealed box and was incredible sounding but had a TERRIBLE waf factor. This will be a "little" thinner box and significant other friendlier.

Attachments

• dsc01117 (medium).jpg
    dsc01117 (medium).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 303
shipping update

Yesterday a bunch of packages went out from my end. Tomorrow almost all (perhaps *all*) international packages will go out.

In general I would appreciate an acknowledgment from everyone who's gotten their package. That way I can mark that one as taken care off.

I will post here a detailed shipping manifesto for all the parts that *should* be in your package. I'd like to ensure that everyone got what they should have gotten. Those who get to building relatively soon will be able to verify the contents of the package in that way. If you don't expect to put your package together soon then I would ask that you verify the contents from the manifestos.

More later.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.