• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

my_ref revC group buy (Mauro Penasa LM3886 design)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How frustrating Peter.
This is not the first time this has happened to us.
Recently similar stunts were pulled by Richardson Electronics with the capacitors. That was approx 100 dollars lost plus shipping.
Like Peter said, no worries but what a pain!! Can you believe a company claiming stock and prices that they can not back up and then trying to keep you as a customer?
You should have seen Peters emails to me :) Not a happy fellow.
Uriah

Should there be an issue in the end with money we will speak up. For now the assumption is that we'll be ok. Like I said, we had built in a little bit of slop because there *always* is some little hiccup. You just plan for that.

In any case, I appreciate everyone's support.

Now Mouser and Digikey... (and likely others) that's a class act. Just got the tracking numbers for the packages. What a difference. Live and learn.

peter

lastest status

We have all parts except for the LM318. The latter is on a UPS truck as we speak and scheduled to arrive at my home on Tuesday! Yeay!!!

I have started to bag the final set of parts which contains all the silicon. I ended up sawing the tubes for the LM3886 into sections so each pair of them now has a bit of tube to protect them (and some adhesive tape around them to keep them in the tube). I did he same for the GBJ rectifier. Unfortunately that plastic was much more prone to splintering during the sawing. Still the short sections serve their purpose of making a hard protective case. But when you see the rough edges, don't panic... :)

Today I did a test assembly of a pair from a full boxed package (just as we will send out) as one of the last sanity tests before shipment. And I am happy to say that everything worked. Including the little nylon bushing and silicon tape for the chip to ensure perfect insulation between chip and heatsink (which I was able to verify with my ohm meter). I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

One small note on the assembly. I proceeded by stuffing the small resistors first, then the small caps, and finally the silicon. At times I deviated from this overall flow when it was obvious that some part was better put in before another (example: the caps near Q2 and Q3; first put in the transistors, then the caps; also the Faston connectors: you'll want to put them in before the nearby large components go in) One small gotcha: the resistor next to the terminal block for the input should be put in after the terminal block because of tightness of space (if you intend to use the terminal block).

Peter

ClaveFremen said:
Dear ClaveFremen,

you mean whether the LM318 arrived yesterday? Yes, indeed!

:)

The tension is mounting, eh? Not to worry the first batch of packages is just about ready.

We have asked Troy to do a test assembly from the package as packed. I wanted a third party to do one more test before I send out stuff to everyone only to discover that I mis-packed something and then have to fix it individually... As soon as we get the word from Troy of a successful build, stuff is off to the post office.

I promised pictures before... I spent the last 2 days in bed, sick as a dog, actually (stomach flu; I am over it now; but not much happened). I am heading in to work again first day today and should be able to pull the images of my cell phone there and post them.

I apologize for the radio silence that last couple of days.

peter

I wasn't going to mention it first but since Peter did.... :D

I rx'ed a kit yesterday.

1) Open the package OVER a trash can!! It is packed VERY well and you will get packing material everywhere. :clown:

2) The parts are logically grouped and well packed.

3) The labeling on the components are EXCELLENT!

4) I put in all the resistors (except the BIG ones) and the tiny caps. I stopped since I didn't have flux cleaner on hand and I wanted to clean the boards before I over populated them.

5) Tonight I will finish the caps and hopefully the entire unit.

6) Tomorrow I will install in a "test" enclosure just to hear them and ensure operation. :smash:

pictures from my test build of Sunday

The pictures from my test build of Sunday (which was successful!) are at http://picasaweb.google.com/schro20/FinalBuildOfRevCFromKit

Needless to say the sound is sweeeeeet!

I am also attaching a picture of the final bag (you saw pictures of the first two bags). This final bag has all the silicon in it as well as the nylon bushings and the silicon pads. When you open this bag, be careful the nylon bushings don't roll off into never never land. I put them in there loose. In hindsight I should have glued them to some tape, but I didn't. So just be careful when you open that bag.

Peter

Attachments

• resize of sp_a1632.jpg
    resize of sp_a1632.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 347
schro20 said:

you mean whether the LM318 arrived yesterday? Yes, indeed!

I promised pictures before... I spent the last 2 days in bed, sick as a dog, actually (stomach flu; I am over it now; but not much happened).

I apologize for the radio silence that last couple of days.

peter

Yes ;)

I'm sorry that you were sick! :eek:

Thanks for the great job you're doing :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.