• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

my_ref revC group buy (Mauro Penasa LM3886 design)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As I said, Steve @ Apex.jr can "bundle" the parts needed to complete the amp so nothing would be forgotten in a onesy, twosy ordering fashion.

The 6 amp filtered IEC receptacle, and the round 10 amp power switches work GREAT. I love and use them everywhere.

The gold plated RCA's and binding posts solder well. I really dis-like components that are difficult to solder such as some of the cheap Nickel plated RCA's...

I'm thinking of "Bundleing" the parts needed to finish this
project as quoted above but I have other IEC's and RCA's
along with Different Binding posts...
Any idea's of how to kit this or just let you guys know I have
the parts and you guys decide which ones will look good
on your chassis ?

Steve,
Why dont you throw together a kit for everyone with IEC/Filter, 2 varistors like CL-60 style, 2 RCA, stereo Speaker Binding, Switch, 5ft 18AWG and 2ft 22AWG, 2 terminal blocks with minimum 6 positions each for connecting power to transformer and power from transformer?
Let us know the price here. Lets go with nice plating on the interconnects.

Uriah

Joined 2002
Paid Member
udailey said:
Steve,
Why dont you throw together a kit for everyone with IEC/Filter, 2 varistors like CL-60 style, 2 RCA, stereo Speaker Binding, Switch, 5ft 18AWG and 2ft 22AWG, 2 terminal blocks with minimum 6 positions each for connecting power to transformer and power from transformer?
Let us know the price here. Lets go with nice plating on the interconnects.

Uriah

IEC with 6 Amp Filter $2.00
2 pair RCA's Gold Plated $1.98/pr $3.96
Dual Binding Posts Gold plated $1.99
DPDT 10 A Rocker switch $ .99
Wire 18 Awg ands 22 Awg PTFE $1.16
140-8 terminal block $1.35ea $2.70

TOTAL $12.80

Do not stock the varistor

Steve @ Apex Jr.

just a quick update

Kitting is going well. In particular I have all the tiny ceramic caps labeled up.

At this moment the main hold up are the rectifiers. I spoke yesterday with OnlineComponents where we ordered these (and a bunch of other parts) and they are currently waiting on the rectifiers to arrive. The promised me within a day or two. They are in LA, so I expect those parts to be at my house within a day after arrival. Mailing the kits can happen post haste once I have those parts (basically the remaining labeling will all happen this weekend; not much left and the parts from OnlineComponents don't need labeling :)).

Thank you for your patience.

Peter

I think going through Steve is best at this point. Peter and I are really not looking for more of this to do right now :) Not to say I wouldnt do it again. It has been fun and I really have liked communicating with all of you and working on this with Peter. Actually I am thinking of another over on DIYaudioProjects.com for a simple board that is either a 9 pin or 7 pin tube board. Thats all. It has inputs and outputs to that tube and will hold a socket. Its for people that want to experiment and who might just want to do a single tube pre or other single tube projects. One guy used one from another DIYers buy to modify the output of his CDP.
Uriah

udailey said:
.......... Actually I am thinking of another over on DIYaudioProjects.com for a simple board that is either a 9 pin or 7 pin tube board. Thats all. It has inputs and outputs to that tube and will hold a socket. Its for people that want to experiment and who might just want to do a single tube pre or other single tube projects. One guy used one from another DIYers buy to modify the output of his CDP.......
Uriah

Like this?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=758130#post758130

Troy, right on. Thats very close but the one the guy asked me to work on is even more generic. I think I will bring leads off in all directions and give 3 or 4 holes on each lead to solder into as well as a place to put terminal blocks on a few of them. He has to give me more info though. I dont know much about tubes. Not even which pins are usually power in/out or signal in/out or what the voltage/amperage will be.
Uriah

Yep. But the RCA's come as a pair and they are 1.98 on his site.
The Binding posts which we need 2 pair are 1.99 each. So really his price is only a penny or two off anyway.
Here is the binding posts he is referring to.
http://www.apexjr.com/images/GoldPlatedDualBindingPosts.JPG
Go to http://www.apexjr.com/Jacks.htm
and you will see most of what he is talking about.
I think everyone is going to have to pick their own fuse value because they might have bought one pair of kits or more so we cant guess what value you would need. The Filter has a fuse in it that you can remove and put your own in.
Uriah

Wait. nope. That one does not have a fuse in it. Excuse me :)
If you need one he has plenty. Just mention it when you email him. He has all sorts of stuff so if you need something else and are not sure if he has it just ask.
He has some really great quality resistors to.

update on kitting

Just a quick update. I filled a second set of bags for all the capacitors (except the big power supply ones; they have their own skin), the terminal male/female faston's as well as the terminal blocks for input and LED, and the relays.

In this particular batch not everything is labeled. Basically anything that's readily recognizable (translation: either unique shape or one can read what it is without requiring a microscope and the secret decoder ring). There is one single exception. All the (12 in total for a pair) 220nF caps are left raw. Here the distinguishing feature is that it is the only such set! :)

Leaves one more bag with all the silicon (diodes [which will be labeled], transistors [which are already labeled], LM318 [no label; stuck in anti-static foam], LM3886 [each pair in a hard plastic case; also the insulating fabric and nylon insulator], and rectifier [no label]). Then it's off to the post office.

So, right now, it's waiting for the rectifiers that's holding things up. I am hoping they will get here by the middle of the week.

Peter

Attachments

• resize of sp_a1601.jpg
    resize of sp_a1601.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 429
valuable public service message!

Stay away from OnlineComponents.com! Their prices are vaporware. After being strung along for 2 weeks I finally canceled two of the outstanding parts orders (the other two parts had already shipped although I had specifically requested to consolidate the entire order!). Arrrgh.

Bottomline is that I just placed orders for rectifiers and the LM318 at Digikey and Mouser. They cost a lot more (ouch) but least I can have confidence that they will be here in a few days.

My apologies to everyone. Lesson learned: stick with Mouser and Digikey even if others appear (on occasion only, anyway!) much cheaper. At the end of the day they are not.

AAARRRRGGGH

Now cross your fingers that I don't have to fight off the people from OnlineComponents through my credit card company...

(I'll be ok; but right now I am steaming!)

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.