• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My Wave Isn't Square.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted several pics of the ring but they did not show up. Perhaps the files were to big. Each was about 700k. Her is just one to see if that will show up. It's the ring with the feed back cap of .001uf. The freq is 1K.

Attachments

• Ring1kc.001uf.JPG
    Ring1kc.001uf.JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 195
I understand that the push-pull negative feedback amplifier design was to remove distortion. Can someone explain where the distortion exists that it minimized and how it minimized it?

BTW I found the source of the hum in the previous post. It was in the PCB groundplane, put there by the pwr supply. Hooking up an input signal from the iPhone (or anything) connected the ground with the humm to the input. I just took the pwr supply ground off the PCB groundplane and the problem went away.

For a given device, even-order distortion stays the same even if you invert the input signal. This is elementary maths (powers and trigonometry). Push-pull has two devices, with one input signal inverted. The output transformer subtracts the two signal it sees: wanted plus odd-order are antiphase so add, even-order is in phase so cancels.

Alternatively, look at combined push-pull valve curves. The two sets of curves are bent in opposite directions so cancel out. Either way of looking at it, P-P cancels even-order distortion but leaves odd-order unchanged. Fortunately even-order is higher for all devices so the total is reduced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.