My unfinished gaincline chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Small sheets of thin lead.

ron clarke said:
Saw this in an earlier post.Go to a place that does industrial radiography.They use .005" and .010" thk. paper backed and coated lead sheets in up to 14"x17" for screens using Ir192 and Co60 radiographs.
ron

What kind of places makes INDUSTRIAL radiography?
I don't think I'll find those sheets in a hospital:scratch:

Peter Daniel said:
This is what I did in my preamp to isolate transformers. I've built a cage out of 1/8" copper plates and filled the space with epoxy. The AC connection is also done here on the bottom panel, right beside the transformer's housing.

Nice chassis Peter Daniel, but I just wonder....

How did you manage to get text at the front, I would really like to know, my current amp has some knobs and switches and it would be nice to have some informative text related to them.

What kind of forum is this? I was just trying to help? Someone had desired thin lead sheets and i responded to the answer with the knowledge that i have, i was an industrial radiographer for about 10 years, i dont believe i deserve flack for my response.They dont MAKE industrial radiograpgs they DO industrial radiographs.Its used primarly for x-rays ( x-ray being a radiograph from an x-ray tube, a gamma radiograph from a radioactive source) of weldments for petro chem and ship building and other apps that require quality control of a non destructive nature.
Sorry but sometimes this forum reminds me of a kiddy chat room in the responses, its hard in here to actually accomplish any gain in knowledge or find a real answer due to the immature postings.
thanks
ron

ron clarke said:
What kind of forum is this? I was just trying to help? Someone had desired thin lead sheets and i responded to the answer with the knowledge that i have, i was an industrial radiographer for about 10 years, i dont believe i deserve flack for my response.They dont MAKE industrial radiograpgs they DO industrial radiographs.Its used primarly for x-rays ( x-ray being a radiograph from an x-ray tube, a gamma radiograph from a radioactive source) of weldments for petro chem and ship building and other apps that require quality control of a non destructive nature.
Sorry but sometimes this forum reminds me of a kiddy chat room in the responses, its hard in here to actually accomplish any gain in knowledge or find a real answer due to the immature postings.
thanks
ron

Please excuse me if you found my answear rude. I didn't write it this way.
Remember that I'm french, and I don't perfectly speak english. In our language, DO and MAKE is the same word...

I was just asking where exactly I could find such sheets, since I have no idea where industrial radiographies are DONE

Gunderz said:

Nice chassis Peter Daniel, but I just wonder....

How did you manage to get text at the front, I would really like to know, my current amp has some knobs and switches and it would be nice to have some informative text related to them.

I used dry transfer lettering sheets (Letraset). You can find them in graphic supplies stores and it's very convenient and quick way to put the writing on a chassis.

Thank you for your answer.
Lead sheeting used in industrial radiographs is used in petro chem plants, shipyards, ferrous casting plants and some pipeline applications.They are listed in the phone book (US) as industrial testing or industrial x-ray.
Hospitals do not use the lead screens as the wavelength of the radiation is too long to use for intensifying.
Lead is also a conductor which means it can also be used for RF shielding.
I am sorry for my response, but i keep seeing these responses in this forum that are non productive and are in the majority of un proven results.If i cant test it and either see a difference on a scope or hear an actual difference then i put it in the snake oil or BS file.
Nearly 30 years of Quality Control
in petro chem, aerospace ect ect has taught me this.
ron

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bricolo said:

But I was thinking about placing a little sheet of damping material (very thin, lake a paper sheet) between all the places where 2 plates touch, this would damp the chassis vivrations
Good idea?

I do not know very well. But, the sheet material might give each plate different boundary condition so as to change the natural frequency of the plate. I do not know the effect of it as I do not know what is the purpose of the vibration control.

:yinyang:

Bricolo said:

But I was thinking about placing a little sheet of damping material (very thin, lake a paper sheet) between all the places where 2 plates touch, this would damp the chassis vivrations
Good idea?

Nobody's gonna tell you if it's good or bad idea, untill you try it yourself. It might work or not, and it's not so hard to check it out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.