My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bigun, how is your opinion of AN15 shaping up? MH, what do you think of horns. Its speaker time in ky world and i have decisions to make.

For the money, I have not heard anything that comes close to AN15. Consider the fact if you went for a nice compression driver and horn (eg le cleach), that will cost you over a $1000 then you still have to purchase suitable woofers. Could easily exceed $2000 total.
If you live close to David Dicks then you could go demo a pair of AN15. I guarantee once you hear them you won't be saying you need a tweeter.

It would be interesting to put the drivers in a horn style enclosure like Tannoy or Altec ( eg like Pano).
I have been playing around with more ideas. Talk about it later
Still love open baffle though

Last edited:
For the money, I have not heard anything that comes close to AN15. Consider the fact if you went for a nice compression driver and horn (eg le cleach), that will cost you over a $1000 then you still have to purchase suitable woofers. Could easily exceed $2000 total.
If you live close to David Dicks then you could go demo a pair of AN15. I guarantee once you hear them you won't be saying you need a tweeter.

It would be interesting to put the drivers in a horn style enclosure like Tannoy or Altec ( eg like Pano).
I have been playing around with more ideas. Talk about it later
Still love open baffle though

Yes your right. Daivd did tell me I could come down and hear a pair in box before I bought them. Good to know you enjoy them.jm

It's shaping up nicely. This driver is a keeper, I recommend it so if you want to build something around it then go for it. Of course, how you use the driver is also important.

I'll post further updates into my thread as it evolves.
The already excellent Bass definitely keeps improving with extended break in. If you want to speed up the process run 2Vpk (no more) sweeping between 35Hz and 45Hz every night for a week.

what about a rear facing super tweet some say that adds a nice sense of air without disrupting the full ranger's coherency

A very good silk dome tweeter brought in on a cap only slant with hinge at 13 kHz will work very nicely front firing. I would be very careful about wide dispersion rear firing unless you have very good control over your back wall surfaces. AN15 OB doesn't get much over 13 k and noticeably less on the back side, though I have never measured it. Nor do I have a pair to work with. These hell bent for leather, nude, Lowther's have my plate FULL at the moment.

Bud

I don't think the AN15 is a great choice for dipole full-range. The driver looks designed to provide full range firing forwards and the freq. response off the backside will be very different. I think there are much better options for dipole.

But OB doesn't mean it has to be designed as the perfect dipole - not in my book anyhow.

Thanks Bud. Actually i was considering the Fostex F17 or B&G Neo 3pdr (dipole option) but I'm not sure either one would be a good choice or not. I guess the real question would be what makes a decent match to the AN15 without costing an arm and a leg. The Seas 27TB DXT in the small wave guide looks interesting to. With my AN12's even though they do the highs nicely I still get the feeling that just a touch more air up the the stratospheric highs would be a good thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.