My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Melon Head,

Been toying around an OB project based on your recommendation for the AN-15 cast frame. Looking fr a matching 15" woofer to go with it. I suspect the AN15 xmax of 1mm might not be enough. Besides, I think if the AN-15 is relieved of heavy bass work it might sound even better...

Any suggestions? Did you try your AN15 with any woofers yet?

Was looking at this one

Celestion 15" Professional Woofer 8 Ohm 299-418

Seems to have a pretty good flat frequency response down to 30Hz.

Oon

+1 on the support woofer idea Oon. The Celestion looks good but another alternative might be the MCM cast frame 55-2963 it has similar efficiency, lower Fs, higher Xmax, and lower price. However it has higher Vas of 10.1 cubic ft. rather than the 6.18 cubic ft. of the Celestion, but does that really matter in Open Baffle or Slot Loaded?

Looks interesting. Thanks for introducing me to MCM. However will more likely stick with the celestion. The idea that your speaker has bullet proof material in it sounds kinda cool.

On a different note, quite often the Fs goes down because the cone is heavier, making it closer to a sub rather than a woofer. The Mms is not mentioned so it is purely guess work...

oon

I think you'd be surprised by how much bass 1mm of an AN15 products. The issues is more likely the design of the baffle. If you go with a tall slim baffle then a woofer near the floor is likely a must, but if you use a wider baffle, angled back with AN15 mounted lower down then it may be just fine by it'self and perhaps worth a try ? Look at this: OBL11

One thing which is not obvious by the T-S parameters is how the thing will actually sound.

The MCM is made out of treated paper cone, the celestion is a paper/kevlar hybrid which would probably stiffen the cone.

A stiff cone will probably produce a punchier bass.

The Art of Speaker Design, Part II

scroll below and look under rigid cone drivers.

Would have liked a pure kevlar or carbon fibre, but don't think anybody is selling this at my price range...

Oon

I think you'd be surprised by how much bass 1mm of an AN15 products. The issues is more likely the design of the baffle. If you go with a tall slim baffle then a woofer near the floor is likely a must, but if you use a wider baffle, angled back with AN15 mounted lower down then it may be just fine by it'self and perhaps worth a try ? Look at this: OBL11

Well very likely it will be tall slim baffle, which is why I am getting a woofer... Don't think the AN will sound nice mounted lower down, will sound as if the music is from the floor...

Oon

Thanks for the link to Lynn Olson's comments, it made for a good read and the man has a wealth of knowledge. You might very well be right about the paper kevlar composite being superior, although i do note that the MCM cones have concentric rings which I would think would help produce a more rigid structure. Whether or not that also helps reduce cone resonances I don't know. Lynn's comments also remind me of the whole Enabl treatment process which seems to be an effort to address many of the things he is talking about.

Melon Head said angled up, maybe 10' away, the voices didn't seem to be coming from the floor. Seems odd when tweet speakers sound like they are on the floor.

I've read on full range drivers or wide-band plus supertweet, if the setup is lower, it seems to image higher than the drivers.

It would be cheap enough to throw it on a 4' x 4' and try it.
Then again, maybe the front wall bounce (if small baffle) tricks the brain into thinking the image is higher.................

Norman

Hi Melon Head,

Been toying around an OB project based on your recommendation for the AN-15 cast frame. Looking fr a matching 15" woofer to go with it. I suspect the AN15 xmax of 1mm might not be enough. Besides, I think if the AN-15 is relieved of heavy bass work it might sound even better...

Any suggestions? Did you try your AN15 with any woofers yet?

Was looking at this one

Celestion 15" Professional Woofer 8 Ohm 299-418

Seems to have a pretty good flat frequency response down to 30Hz.

Oon

OK I am back now.

I definitely agree with woofer support on a relatively narrow baffle, however I hesitate to advise on cheap woofers as you might ruin the high performance of the AN15. Sought of like adding vegemite to a nice chocolate milkshake - that could be scary.

I have stack of cheap MCM woofers arriving soon I can let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

What ever you do don't use Eminence Alpha.

At the moment the only woofers I would recommend are the GPA416 or another pair of Super 15 Cast Frame (but not cheap)
The problem is you might need 2 pairs as support like what I have. If the wings go deep enough you might be OK.

I have to go I will be back later

Bigun, how is your opinion of AN15 shaping up? MH, what do you think of horns. Its speaker time in ky world and i have decisions to make.

It's shaping up nicely. This driver is a keeper, I recommend it so if you want to build something around it then go for it. Of course, how you use the driver is also important.

I'll post further updates into my thread as it evolves.

But I'm distracted right now building the Martello-2's whilst the climate allows me to work out on the driveway. And I have a trip to Europe soon and have to take them with me to deliver them to their final owner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.