My incredibly expensive and awesome finished line arrays *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work. I do have one comment for those wanting to do something similar. In the lower frequencies you need longer line lengths to achieve the same nearfield projection distance. Also the spacing of woofers becomes a non-issue, so use the entire height for your woofer array even if you use only a handful of woofers. In this example the wavelength of 300hz is 45".

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: something smells fishy

studiotech said:
Do these look familiar? A little bit of special "Ad Copy" going on don't you think?

Greg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5769443688&rd=1

That's funny as hell!

Feandil should work for Bose's marketing department, he's got the right mix of bulls**t and blatent liberty taking.

My fav part is the bit:

There are TWO. These towers were constructed by our installation team, which clocked over 300 man hours in their construction. The electrical wiring and passive crossovers were designed by our resident EE, Tim Ghaln. The design that was given to our team of installers was created by [requested anonymity] who used to work for Mcintosh's design team. He modeled these Line arrays after Genesis' $100,000 seperated line array that is viewable here.

More like I knocked them up, by myself in the shed! :D Also like how you didn't actually name the mysterious ex-designer from McIntosh, Thylantyr will be shocked to learn that he once worked for them. You must be a busy man running a shop, building speakers and doing Uni.

Ah, sorry Feandil, I had no idea you were such a creative person. This is another reason why I never buy anything of expense from ebay as there's just too many people trying to rip you off.

Re: something smells fishy

studiotech said:
Do these look familiar? A little bit of special "Ad Copy" going on don't you think?

Greg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5769443688&rd=1

Yeah - I think the owner is trying to prove that he can get $3K for them. See thread in Texas.

He has proven one claim made in that thread - my claim of dishonesty. $10K in parts he says in the eBay ad!!! And that's in the ad title! The rest is well, uh, very creative as the previous poster says.

Re: Re: something smells fishy

Feandil should work for Bose's marketing department, he's got the right mix of bulls**t and blatent liberty taking.

I have a friend who buys civil war miniatures and/or paints the
miniatures and sells them on ebay. The jingle he uses is
"These rare miniatures were found in my grandpa's attic, these
are treasured rare items", etc. He gets people to pay $300
for something that cost him $40..

Thylantyr will be shocked to learn that he once worked for them.
Why would you assume that I did not ???

It's ok for Bose to sell you $1 drivers for $2000, the different is
in the packaging :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Re: Re: something smells fishy

thylantyr said:

I have a friend who buys civil war miniatures and/or paints the
miniatures and sells them on ebay. The jingle he uses is
"These rare miniatures were found in my grandpa's attic, these
are treasured rare items", etc. He gets people to pay $300
for something that cost him $40..

Another excellent example of scammers on ebay and my reason for avoiding it. Also just because you have a friend that lies does that mean its ok then? I'm sure the world would be in an even worst state than it already is if everyone took that attitude.
I guess you've got a soft spot for these type of people otherwise why would you continue to defend what everyone else see's as wrong.

Why would you assume that I did not ???

The ever escapable laws of probability, I was 99.99% sure I was correct in that statement.

It's ok for Bose to sell you $1 drivers for $2000, the different is in the packaging :)

No it isn't, thats why I mentioned Feandil and them would get on like a house on fire. At least with the Bose you get amplification, multiple sources and a guarantee.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
simon5 said:
3k$ is high but reasonable for these speakers if he really did work 200 hours on it, whatever you can say.

But, I agree that he's lying too much to present this item on eBay.

Oh yes, I told him I hope he gets that for them back in the other thread he started.

But its the unbelievable lies that make the mind boggle, especially after knowing what has passed.

Also you simply cannot factor in 200-300 hours onto the cost of DIY speaker. The people who are buying them don't care, its the material value, craftsmanship and overall quality of the product they value.

Status
Not open for further replies.