Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LINK REMOVED DUE TO POTENTIAL TROJAN

each tower contains:

20 NSB's painted and modded with lacquer- HP'd at 400 hz, LP'd at 2.5khz@18db

8 7" Dayton Aluminum midbasses, in 2.5 cubes with polyfill, tuned to 34 hz, LP'd at 400 hz

1 Eminence Horn, with 14x7" lense, HP'd at 2.5khz@ 18db

each tower has custom passive crossovers with a power handling of 1400 watts PER TOWER!!!

I'm powering them with a QSC 2450... which gives each tower 1200 watts RMS

final impedence per tower (if not bi-amped or tri-amped) is 1.98 ohms

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

I'm awaiting xover parts to finish it :mad: :mad:

but I will update you on that shortly...

the NSB line I DID hook up without the horn or the midbasses... and with only 30 watts I had to leave the room they were so loud ;)

and they sounded great....

I'm going to end up giveing just the NSB's 320 watts :D :angel:

Hi Feandil

The horizontal alignment of the Eminence Horn, with 14x7" lense, HP'd at 2.5khz@ 18db made me wonder if a vertical alignment of this horn might have a radiation dispersion pattern closer to the line array. I have no experience using horns with line arrays, just curious.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I don't believe so....

this was mostly inspired by thylantar's suggestions

the horn has a horizontal dispersion of 140 degrees :bigeyes:

from simple tests ( me playing both at different times)

they seem to disperse similarly, though the horn does disperse horizontally slightly "quicker" than the NSB's

also I'm a bit confused on your question... but the horn DOES fit well with the dispersion pattern of the array...

they look very clean!

how low do you think they go, whats the Fb? F3?

i've been thinking of doing an NSB array with either an array of the 25 cent onkyo tweet or a single high output tweeter. i'm undecided yet, mostly because i've never heard an array before let alone either of the two different configurations. the single tweet would be a lot easier to make a baffle for, and to wire as well.

how did you go about mounting the NSBs anyway? did you surface mount them, or go through the trouble of flush mounting them? i can also see that you laquered the NSBs, any noticeable response difference? i've been told that it really helps kill the 7k spike.

they look really nice, and very professional. good work.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
yes the lacquer helped tremendously... side by side tests with unmodded vs modded were a HUGE difference full range... and even LP'd a 2.5khz...

the towers will extend to around 25 hz :bigeyes: before the mids start to naturally roll off

the dayton's are ported to 33 hz or so, so low end isn't a problem at all

I just surfaced mounted the NSB's and did a simple "bead of silicone" to seal them nicely... results are good

Hi Feandil,

They look very nice, but I am more interested in how they sound. I got my tweeters in the mail this week and I will mount them tomorrow. I have to figure out the best way to mount these dayton tweets, but I have some ideas. Anyway, your towers do look great. Your post about the Laquer has got me thinking. I haven't done that to mine. Since I am a newbie and all, I have no clue how to do that. I'm assuming you would if you were me. I have a post on the other site and Thylatar explained it to me. I'll check that post out again, but do you confirm that I would want to laquer them??? Also, what did you gain from the laquer? SPL? Bass? Highs? Or Clearity? I am using the Dayton crossover... 3.5 khz.

I'll get pics of mine as soon as I can get my camera stuff.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
just get a spray can of lacquer or polyurethane to add weight to the cones

cut out in a piece of cardboard a circle the size of the cone of the NSB...

discard the cutout... and use the large carboard with a 3.6" hole in the middle to paint through... spray NSB's... I did it with polyurethane 6 times....

They sound difference was... well in a word amazing... the peakyness of the unsprayed cone was gone... also it even helped with the sound at 2.5khz

you gain highs and clarity... though the high end is still lacking somewhat (without a tweet)

cross them at the MOST 3 khz and you'll be good to go

Lacquer mod.

I used this stuff, clear.
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?ddf=159&frm_product_id=40&SBL=1

I cut a soda can in 1/2 after drinking the soda of course. Clean
out the can and dry it.

I bought a dollar paint brush similar to this, maybe 1" .
http://www.toolweb.com/pics/AST4571.jpg

I sprayed some lacquer (after shaking can for a while) into
the soda can, just enough to make a small puddle inside.

Use the paint brush and dip it in the can and apply the
lacquer on the cone (not the surround) and I also applied
it to the dust cap. 1 thin coat.

The paper will absorb this very quckly, that is normal. Leave
the speaker sitting on the table with magnet down and
wait until it dries before adding another coat. I waited
1 day for every coat to make sure it cured. 3 coats, 3 days,
works nice. I would say 3 coats is good but I wouldn't do
more than 5 coats.

What does it do? Well, I did some blind tests with the drivers
hidden behind speaker cloth and everyone picked the modded
driver as sounding best. I had a switch to toggle between
both drivers so you can listen to the difference in real time,
listening to music and toggling back and forth.

I did the same test with the phase plug mod and the phase
plug driver was chosen every time, but the phase plug mod
wasn't as obvious as the lacquer mod and it does cost more
money and time to implement.

The lacquer mod is $4 plus the paint brush and you can coat
a ton of NSB's :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
painting it on with a brush would take less coats... I used 6 cause... I did 8 test drivers... each with a different amount of coats from 1-8 and I liked 5 or 6 best...

8 was too... "muffled"

use Polyurethane as you get a shiny finish ;)

and 5 or 6 spray on coats = tested perfection
:D

Hey guys, I got the tweeter line together and mounted on the tower and tested it out yesterday, and I wasn't pleased. :( I played one tower with just the NSB's and the other with the NSB's and the tweeters. I can hear the tweeters, but it seems like it loses something. Like the sound fills up the room way more without the tweeters.... I crossed them at 3500. Why is that so low? I should have asked that earlier, but it seemed like people were sure about crossing them that low, if not even lower, so I didn't bother to ask. Another question... why cross them at all? I heard people say gremlins... but what are they? I am gonna play with them this weekend and see what I can do to make them sound the best. I'll try them without crossing and stuff. I'll try to post a pic for you guys to show the wiring I did on the tweeters... maybe that's messed up. But I am concerned that I would have liked it better to cross it at like 12,000. That probably sounds ridiculous to you guys, so Let me know what ya think. (I hope I didn't end up buying these 2 $20 crossovers for nothing) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.