My first DIY speakers -- full range bookshelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One must remember that the bulk of the disparagement of Mark Audio drivers was a hatchet job by a single troll what had a vendetta against Mark.

Like any other man-made product, MA drivers have there problems. And yes, I do sell plans and cabinets for MA drivers, and Fostex and Tang Band and....

For a sat/sub setup, the A7.3 is as good as anything out there. It has its own flavor, but that happens to fit my music well. For a floor stander, the A10.3 is very good. That is what I am listening to at the moment. The A10P has a distinct 2nd order distortion signature that gives it a tubey sound. I don't happen to like it, but to each his own.

Bob

One must remember that the bulk of the disparagement of Mark Audio drivers was a hatchet job by a single troll what had a vendetta against Mark.

Like any other man-made product, MA drivers have there problems. And yes, I do sell plans and cabinets for MA drivers, and Fostex and Tang Band and....

For a sat/sub setup, the A7.3 is as good as anything out there. It has its own flavor, but that happens to fit my music well. For a floor stander, the A10.3 is very good. That is what I am listening to at the moment. The A10P has a distinct 2nd order distortion signature that gives it a tubey sound. I don't happen to like it, but to each his own.

Bob

So maybe I should try the A7.3 in a bass reflex bookshelf enclosure? How are the mids of the A7.3 compared to the mids of the A10.3?

Is near-field listening, centered on them and the distance from them being the distance they are spaced apart? Yep.

If that was 3ft, then yes. You're going to have them on your computer desk, right? And you're sitting in front of the monitor, that's pretty much "near field".

A7.3 would be an excellent choice for the desktop. Perhaps better for you than the larger Alpairs?

jeff

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am using a 25v+25v toroidal transformer. Found out that is the max AC voltage to feed the dc supply for this amp. But 25v is more for 8 ohm speakers and 22v more for 4 to 6 ohm speakers. My infinity Rs2001 2-ways say they are 6 ohm, so I might be feeding the amp boards too much voltage at 25v. I should have probably gotten the 22v toroidal. I wonder if the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 input impedance is sufficiently high to solve this voltage problem, allowing me to keep my existing 25v toroidal.
Higher voltages are not necessarily a problem, they can even be a benefit if suitable for the amp to use. Where you might find the tradeoffs is with the current capability of the transformer and heat dissipation within the amp, still you are not talking about a large difference. If the amp works well for you I wouldn't stress over it.

If that was 3ft, then yes. You're going to have them on your computer desk, right? And you're sitting in front of the monitor, that's pretty much "near field".

A7.3 would be an excellent choice for the desktop. Perhaps better for you than the larger Alpairs?

jeff

It's a desk in the living room, with computer attached to 40 inch 4K tv with speakers to each side. I use a recliner, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and keep feet up on desk most of the time.

I sometimes move the recliner out of the way if I have company over to watch the TV. Couch is about 5-6 feet behind the recliner.

Sometimes I listen to the music while cooking in the kitchen.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Jennifer G,
You just finished the chip amp project so you need speakers to use with your new amp. I know how that goes. I happen to be designing a fairly simple FAST speaker that uses a very low cost and great sounding first order xo. It uses an RS225-8 woofer xo at 600Hz and your choice of 3in or 4in full range mid tweet. You can pick just about any from my Blind Subjective threads. But the current one is the FF85Wk - but these can also work: TC9FD, TG9FD10-8, PS95-8, RS100-8, 3FE25-8, P830986, 10F/8414, or 8424, B80, etc.

To keep prices reasonable and in family with woofer I would go with PS95-8 ($25). But if you have $ to spend go with 10F/8424($100) or Mid range go with FF85WK or TG9FD10-8. For budget but great sound go with TC9FD.

Thread is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/292130-ff85wk-rs225-8-passive-fast.html

But... If you want a simple Fullrange bookshelf that is guaranteed to make you smile - make the 0.40x Karlsonator with the 3FE25. Full rich bass that needs no baffle step correction. No filters whatsoever. 91dB sensitivity, wide wide sound stage. What's not to like?

Look at all the happy builds. :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/239338-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds.html

Last edited:
It's a desk in the living room, with computer attached to 40 inch 4K tv with speakers to each side. I use a recliner, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and keep feet up on desk most of the time.

I sometimes move the recliner out of the way if I have company over to watch the TV. Couch is about 5-6 feet behind the recliner.

Sometimes I listen to the music while cooking in the kitchen.

Maybe the larger drivers would be the way to go. They'll give you more volume/headroom when out of the room.

jeff

Jennifer G,
You just finished the chip amp project so you need speakers to use with your new amp. I know how that goes. I happen to be designing a fairly simple FAST speaker that uses a very low cost and great sounding first order xo. It uses an RS225-8 woofer xo at 600Hz and your choice of 3in or 4in full range mid tweet. You can pick just about any from my Blind Subjective threads. But the current one is the FF85Wk - but these can also work: TC9FD, TG9FD10-8, PS95-8, RS100-8, 3FE25-8, P830986, 10F/8414, or 8424, B80, etc.

To keep prices reasonable and in family with woofer I would go with PS95-8 ($25). But if you have $ to spend go with 10F/8424($100) or Mid range go with FF85WK or TG9FD10-8. For budget but great sound go with TC9FD.

Thread is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/292130-ff85wk-rs225-8-passive-fast.html

Thanks I'll have to look into all that :)

But... If you want a simple Fullrange bookshelf that is guaranteed to make you smile - make the 0.40x Karlsonator with the 3FE25. Full rich bass that needs no baffle step correction. No filters whatsoever. 91dB sensitivity, wide wide sound stage. What's not to like?

Look at all the happy builds. :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/239338-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds.html

The 3FE25 is 4 ohm though and I have a 25v toroidal in my LM3886 so that'd be too much voltage. Ideally I need more of an 8 ohm speaker. Using 6 ohm right now with RS2001.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
They make 3FE25 in 4/8/16 ohms. Your amp is really overkill for this speaker but I only recommend it as a great first project. It can be powered by a 5w ACA which sound like it might be your next project. Or just a simple TPA311xD2 or TDA7297 or TDA8932 would work just fine.

If you want to use the power of your LM3886 make the FAST speaker. I am using my VHEX+ with either 35v, 44v, or 50v and it works very well.

If I got the Mark Audio 10.3's should I go with the following plan?

http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/CGR-MarKen103p-plan-040414.pdf

They'd fit on my desk well.

I have the 10.3 in the 'factory' golden ratio cabinets which are very similar to those. I think the combination works quite well. For a plop it in a box solution and simple construction, you'd be hard pressed to beat this. The sound is rather neutral and somewhat 'british'.

I haven't heard the 7.3 but I had its lower cost relative the CHR70. Those were originally in simple reflex boxes too, but they were a little gutless in the bass. Those boxes got tossed and now they are in mini Karlsonators, which are far superior, in my possibly not so humble opinion. :D As a bonus, they seem to pair really seamlessly with a cheap 12" sub. I'd suspect they could be very nice in various backhorns and/or TQWT type boxes also.

I kind of think with smaller drivers you tend to get more better midrange and sweetness, but if you are running them full range + sub, they need a more elaborate box with more gain. If you don't do this you get a dynamic hole in the midbass which is kind of unsatisfying. The alternative is to do a FAST with dual woofers running up higher, or simply use a larger full range driver.

The 3FE25 is 4 ohm though and I have a 25v toroidal in my LM3886 so that'd be too much voltage. Ideally I need more of an 8 ohm speaker. Using 6 ohm right now with RS2001.
The difference between requirements for driving 4 Ω and 8 Ω is not VOLTAGE so much as it is CURRENT; This will need a power supply transformer with oh, say 250 VA. The LM3886 will drive 4 Ω loads with your +/-35v supply; in fact it will deliver slightly more wattage into 4 Ω (68 watts) than with an 8 Ω load (50 watts). Also note that the MarkAudio 7.3s are 3db less efficient (~86db SPL) than the Infinity RS2001s (89db SPL)---twice the amp wattage for the same listening level.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
FAST is Fullrange Assisted Subwoofer Technology

or simply a 2-way using a fullrange as the mid/tweet and a low crossover frequency (below 600Hz or so). This allows the fullrange to be used in the critical telephone band (600Hz to 6kHz) where all the phase and single point nature of the full range driver can shine.

eNable is a driver cone modification process that applies dots and other coatings on a cone to make it smoother and more dynamic.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wish I understood what "FAST" meant.

A 2-way with a low XO -- driver centre-to-centre ideally less than a ¼ wavelength of the XO frequency. Some pictures:

Alpair 7.3 + Alpair 12pw in ML-TL MTM (XO @ 250 Hz):
A12pwMTM-veneer.jpg

Alpair 7.3 + sealed SDX7 (XO @ 160 Hz):
Ellipsa-1st-veneered.jpg

Early pictures of a stand mount MTM w FF85wk + SilverFlute W14 (XO ~ 350 Hz):
FF85-W14-laidLoose.jpg

One we are working on -- we stole the drivers from above, woofers in ML-TL:
Tysen-V2-extents.gif

The possibilities are enormous. Lots of good small FRs. Lots of good mid basses (and you won't be using them where they are at their worst). And if you have 2 amplifiers line level XOs make things way easier.

dave

Dang I just bought a pair of Klipsch R-15M "reference" "monitor" speakers from Best Buy for $199 and now just hours later they jumped to $249. On Amazon.com they were $199 yesterday and now $239 today. Such great reviews on Amazon and Best Buy so that's why I got them.

Well I hooked them up and guess what? My Infinity RS-2001's DEMOLISH them. The Klipsch have crystal highs but the midrange isn't as good and not that musical... they were a bit dry and lifeless. I couldn't get into the tunes like I was with my Infinities.. sounded like a different song really. Hooked my Infinity RS-2001's back up and now enjoying great mids, pleasant non-fatiguing highs and everything sounds musical again.

I'll be returning these.. yuck.

Have you guys ever heard this cheap Klipsch before? Hopefully the Mark Audio 10.3's sound as good or better.

Usually running the speakers for half a day when they're new
Bass slowly appears and midrange get less metallic
You should make your judgements after some break-in ( like tha MA drivers ! )

BTW the 6 Ω data on the Infinity appears to be made by making the average
of a 4 Ω woofer and a 8 Ω tweeter.

Took a couple photos of the crossover inside my Infinity RS-2001s. Let me know what you think of the quality of these. I read that the drivers are really good and so is the Solen tweeter cap?

Trying to understand what that one electrolytic-looking cap is.. don't see any electrolytic in schematic.. anyways thought electrolytic was for DC not alternating current (speaker signal is alternating current right?)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Usually running the speakers for half a day when they're new
Bass slowly appears and midrange get less metallic
You should make your judgements after some break-in ( like tha MA drivers ! )

BTW the 6 Ω data on the Infinity appears to be made by making the average
of a 4 Ω woofer and a 8 Ω tweeter.

Okay I'll burn them in for a couple days before returning. See if they can sound as good as my Infinities (or better)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.