My first DIY speakers -- full range bookshelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thank you. If I went with the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 would my LM3886 amp drive them well? I am using a 25v+25v toroidal transformer. Found out that is the max AC voltage to feed the dc supply for this amp. But 25v is more for 8 ohm speakers and 22v more for 4 to 6 ohm speakers. My infinity Rs2001 2-ways say they are 6 ohm, so I might be feeding the amp boards too much voltage at 25v. I should have probably gotten the 22v toroidal. I wonder if the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 input impedance is sufficiently high to solve this voltage problem, allowing me to keep my existing 25v toroidal.

A10.3 is nominal 8 ohms (the Re is the DC resistance and is always lower than the real impedance).

A good chip amp will be fine with them … i have 2 or 3 of them (one of them with greater than max DC voltage, i use it for higher impedance speakers) and use an LM3875 one in my office. I am currently using Pass ACA in my main system.

dave

A10.3 is nominal 8 ohms (the Re is the DC resistance and is always lower than the real impedance).

A good chip amp will be fine with them … i have 2 or 3 of them (one of them with greater than max DC voltage, i use it for higher impedance speakers) and use an LM3875 one in my office. I am currently using Pass ACA in my main system.

dave

I just ordered the Pass ACA amp boards -- can't wait to get them. Did you use the laptop brick smps power supplies or did you say put both channels in one case with a dual linear power supply?

Alpair 10p or 10.3 are hard to beat, they do a lot of things right. No passive parts required but they do require some break in time. Well worth the wait.

Larry

Any suggestions where I should buy these speaker drivers? A site with good prices and shipping.

Which of the following cabinet designs offer the best sound? 12-17" tall are ideal size for me but I'd consider taller ones if they offer an improvement in sound:

http://www.markaudio.com/Plans/itemlist/category/18-Alpair-10-Gold

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Single driver speakers can be fun. They can be expensive too. And while they are simple, they cannot match the performance of properly designed two-ways. A good kit such as Bagby's Continuums or something even cheaper will be a better option IMO.

I would stay away from the Mark Audio drivers. They have too many problems, such as being fragile, having a plastic frame, and their specs not matching the performance (the Xmax spec, in particular). Overall, they don't deliver for their price and there are many alternatives that much superior for a much much lower price.

You will hear a variety of opinions here. Beware of folks that have a financial interest in selling the Mark Audio drivers. The full range forum is dominated by these folks. It is not always straight forward to tell who these are because they do not identify themselves as sellers of drivers (Dave aka planet10 is one of them).

Member XRK has sound samples for many different full range drivers that you can listen to. I'm sure he'll chime in shortly.

Last edited:
From the MarkAudio website:
"For the first 100 hours, operate them at very low volumes. After this period, gradually increase the volume to a normal listening level. If you see the cone of the speakers making large movements, immediately turn the volume down. This will protect the speaker and your human hearing from damage. Factory mechanical defects for a period of 1 year. Excessive hard use (over-driving) and other damage caused during customer use is excluded from our warranty."
I'd be very wary of a company who tells you flat out that you can't listen to them at normal listening level for nearly two months (2 hours a day for 50 days). Another of their gems: "the driver has a SPL of near 86dB while retaining an X-max of +4-mm available for peak non-rhythmic bass loads."
What the h*ll is 'non-rhythmic bass', anyway???

From the MarkAudio website:
"For the first 100 hours, operate them at very low volumes. After this period, gradually increase the volume to a normal listening level. If you see the cone of the speakers making large movements, immediately turn the volume down. This will protect the speaker and your human hearing from damage. Factory mechanical defects for a period of 1 year. Excessive hard use (over-driving) and other damage caused during customer use is excluded from our warranty."
I'd be very wary of a company who tells you flat out that you can't listen to them at normal listening level for nearly two months (2 hours a day for 50 days). Another of their gems: "the driver has a SPL of near 86dB while retaining an X-max of +4-mm available for peak non-rhythmic bass loads."
What the h*ll is 'non-rhythmic bass', anyway???

Yeah that's confusing because say one bass note per measure or say every 4 measures is still rhythmic. Maybe then mean like fast pounding bass? So much for 4 count jazz bass walks :p

Madisound has these for sale. I've built several floorstanders with these drivers, tall slim cabinets that don't require a stand. I would recommend Bob Brines Acoustics plans or Pencil plans. The cabinets I make are similar to what Bob has, good bass from these mass loaded transmission lines.

Larry

If you are pairing them with a sub they will be fine.
The TB 1772's are wonderful, double the price and much larger box. Are they twice as good?
I'm using the 10ps right now and they give up very little, the TB's will play louder with less power. I sold them to a guy with a 2a3 tube amp, 3 watts per channel! He was very happy. I'm playing the 10ps with 5 watts and they play loud enough for me!

Larry

If you are pairing them with a sub they will be fine.
The TB 1772's are wonderful, double the price and much larger box. Are they twice as good?
I'm using the 10ps right now and they give up very little, the TB's will play louder with less power. I sold them to a guy with a 2a3 tube amp, 3 watts per channel! He was very happy. I'm playing the 10ps with 5 watts and they play loud enough for me!

Larry

I have an LM3886 that'd be driving them. With 25V toroidal (about 35V DC).

Listening to Christina Aguilera's "Impossible" on my Infinity RS2001's right now with LM3886, B1 Buffer and SMSL M8 (ES9018K2M). Hard to believe speakers could get much better sounding than this. I am curious though :) I think I am getting a bit of mid range distortion with these speakers though perhaps. Can't wait to try different speakers.. Been through a few DAC's, Preamps and Amps hearing all the differences, but always the same Infinity speakers. These Infinity speakers are good enough tho to hear the big difference between FIIO D3 V1 Dac and SMSL M8. Also between the Adcom 535 and the better sounding Chipamp.com LM3886 -- although the B1 Buffer I just set up might make the Adcom sound better since it could of been impedance matching issue (the LM3886 is non-inverting).

Last edited:
BTW my Tannoys are sitting in the closet, there is something special about that crossoverless cohesive sound that you really notice when you switch back to woofers and tweeters. Single drivers are not all things to all people but considering what they are and what they do it's pretty special!

Larry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.