my 1st ever D-amp, WORKING!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RX5
Super cool :cool:

How does IRFZ24N sound different from IRF540N?

I have just received my new PCBs for my full bridge construction, and I'm thinking hard on whether to choose different FETs than the planned IRF640 :)

Attachments

• img_0549.jpg
    img_0549.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 811
SDF,

thanks !! post pics soon ok?? I would love to see your works :)

Baldin,

read spec of IRFZ24N especially the trr(reverse recovery time) its under 60.... or download my posted XLS file in my recent posts.. its in there.... WAY much faster than an IRF540N or IRF640N.. comparable to PHP18NQ11T...also the turn-ON,rise time, turn-OFF,fall time.... minor setback, its only 55V device

its like choosing between a 4bit DAC and a 16bit DAC... :)

I see your attached... has ICs.. so its NOT UCD.. :D

Thats the way to go people!!! :smash:

Cheers,
Raff

Hi RX5

Yes I have seen the spec differences, and also your, very nice excel file (have thought about makin such one for some time :)).

What I was asking is how does it sound. Yous say it sound different and better. Could you describe it a bit further? Like bass is tighter, treble is more clear, more details etc. ?

My amp is a SODA, based on a full bridge around a HIP4080A, and only pre-filter feedback.

Hello Baldin,

I never said using the IRFZ24N sounded different :D over the IRF540N... but IT WOULD sound slightly improved over 540N.... the inventor himself told me that to improve THD and (thus)sound, use FAST mosfets.... and I qoute: 540 are old and clunky devices

You could quicky see in my attached XLS that the 24N has some better specs than what the 180 and 400 uses... BUT 24N is ONLY a 55V device.... the ONLY main problem...... thats why I lowered my supply to +/-24V.....

changing from IRF540N to IRFZ24N -DID- change my deadtime adjustment pot....

sound quality you say??

its BEEN already known that the UCD has tight bass/clear treble.... its an -honest- amp...as what they say :)

once again, I cant buy any faster mosfet than the IRFZ24N.. I need a part that is locally available here in my area w/o the hassle and time waiting for high speed , higher voltage (Vdss >100V)..THAT is WHY I used that part....

my diy UcD sounds VERY clean/clear to me.... if I had a scope, I would have probed around it... sadly I dont have... I know this sounds stupid but we have ears to judge how an AMP sounds :D

as you may have read my REALLY EARLIER posts, even with non-optimal parts (before) used in my diy UcD, it ALREADY -kicked- out my class AB 100Wrms amp.... what more? now that I have made it MORE refined.. :D

Cheers,
Raff

How much gate fall time could you get by 2N2907 and IRF540?
For 2N2222/2907 with IRF530/9530, it is more than 40ns (maybe 60ns) .

In my circuit the 2907 runs in a common emitter way and driven by high base current, so it is more faster than in UcD driven by the pull-down resistor. Even though, it is not fast enough. When replaced with S8050/8550 (1.5A 100MHz), it runs MUCH faster.

btw:
It's strange that many published schematic use IRF540 as its recommended option -- which is twice heavyer than IRF530 and have Qg up to 66nC. It seems too heavy for drivers based on 2907 or 5551, both are 600mA devices.

btw 2: BC550 is a low-noise transistor suitable for input stage.

RX5 said:
Hello PAfi,
nice info there.... :) ill go look again for those Qrr and trr....
had not know that until NOW...
PHP18NQ11T has some REAL NICE specs too... im dreaming :D
IRF6665.. digital audio MOSFET... waaaaahhhhh!!! how on earth do YOU find those kind of MOSFETs?? :D
I usually download datasheet/s when I see an unknown part/#..
as of now, I would like to change the 2N2222A(part of the modulator) with BC546 - BC550 (these are switching types) and the "TURN-ON" mosfet driver 2907 with BC556 - BC560(also switching types).... the "TURN-OFF 2907, is quiet OK...
thanks,
Raff

Hello all,

anyone got idea WHEN these 530s where made??

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/beamrx5/IRf530.jpg

30L340
CHINA
IRF530

they heat up fast!! and a nasty -speaker- POP sound when enabling amp(through current_source)

I have got 3 datasheets here... .. the prelimenary(dated 1988) .. another one was 99 and the last is 2002.. all from ST...

the latest pdf all HAS good specs ... But I wonder If I have the latest MOSFET in hand.... because I doubt it.... IF it was FAST, it would have not heated up FAST too..

:eek:

Make a request to ST. Theire maybe a counterfit parts. I got a similar probleme with APT counterfit parts. they have help me a lot to replace them with original parts....Welcome to china world!

You know that they buy cheaper part, maybe a IRF510, remove marking and put new logo and parts number on theme?

That's what's happen with my APT diode...They was originaly MOSPEC parts with APT labelling!

Just wish that you have buy 6000$ of these parts like I have done...

Fredos

www.d-amp.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.