MPP

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have not posted much here lately because a have very little time for DIY.
Just for fun I build the Renardson MC Pre-Pre, a design that is a bit similar to what QUAD did.
Unfortunately I could not make it work so far. I build several versions. All play music but it sound distorted and noisy.
I may be oscillation, on the scope the output shows spikes.
I tried to mail Mike Renardson but I can not find an email address on his site.
As far as I can tell he has not build the circuit himself so far.
Has anybody an idea what I could try to make it work ?

Hello Joachim, I think he passed away about 2 years ago.

It's worth trying. I always treat everyone as stupid. I start with myself. From your photo you have done the right things.

I often find I have made a stupid mistake. Our mutual friend Martina told me off gently for forgetting to ground the circuit I made for her. To be honest some time had gone by and I had to think. Then as I said to Martina " It's a prototype and as yet I didn't know where best to put the ground ". In fact it was ideal where it was easiest to fix it. It was a horrible moment thinking I had been really stupid.The circuit is very good. It is passive with relays as it makes building it foolproof. The original circuit is one of my mad ideas ( that works ) that even I don't understand. That's not a joke. I have no idea how I did it. Hours of experimenting and finding I could repeat the circuit.

That was the Servo of the Primal Scream phonostage.
It played for half an hour and then it went off on both channels at the same time, precisely like a clock.
It has a differential servo and I forgot a ground connection.
I needed month to find the problem.
Actually Jonathan Carr had the idea to check the servo and there it was.
Still wondering why it worked in the first place.

Last edited:
Greetings from beyond the grave. The Bonsai post was a little disconcerting, but no, I'm still around. There was a post on another thread saying I was at Manchester University, which is equally wrong. I'm just retired. I never needed a MC preamp and so never bothered to build the circuit. I know Dimitri tried it, but with a servo, and possibly used the circuit in a commercial design, but anyway I don't see anything obviously wrong with this version. I would worry slightly about those complementary feedback pairs in the supplies, maybe try removing the 1000uF capacitors, or the idea to try with batteries may narrow down the problem.

Greetings from beyond the grave. The Bonsai post was a little disconcerting, but no, I'm still around. There was a post on another thread saying I was at Manchester University, which is equally wrong. I'm just retired. I never needed a MC preamp and so never bothered to build the circuit. I know Dimitri tried it, but with a servo, and possibly used the circuit in a commercial design, but anyway I don't see anything obviously wrong with this version. I would worry slightly about those complementary feedback pairs in the supplies, maybe try removing the 1000uF capacitors, or the idea to try with batteries may narrow down the problem.
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] sweet mother Mary, he is resurrected!!!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Jesus. I am really sorry. I mistook you for someone else.

Apologies again.

Peace

I bridged the cap multiplier and now it works. So there must have being some Oszillation.
I have considerable noise now as a result so simple LM317, 337 does not seem enough. I will try how to solve that.

Attachments

• 67460679-305E-4541-8A42-601E956C61A4.jpg
    67460679-305E-4541-8A42-601E956C61A4.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 403