Modify behringer DEQ2496?

Please kindly post those measurements, we're all curious.

Until then here's an existing measurement performed on a stock unit:

Does Your Studio Need A Digital Master Clock?

I actually was very pleased with the stock unit, I use it as Digital In -> Analog Out, it had a certain easiness in the treble that my more expensive CD players didn't, they were "grainy" and "dark" in comparison.

I went for some more modest mods, my purpose was to improve reliability/lifetime, so I did nothing but replace the electrolytic caps with long life 105C and 125C rated versions. Except the interstage audio signal ones where I found that in positions with 0V DC bias, bipolars worked best, so I settled for some 85C Panasonic SU there. I also added heatsinks to the processors. That was all I did and I am very pleased with the end result, I don't feel the need to go any further.

hi FLAVIO MARINS

:)An enthusiastic YES!

Hi Flavio,
I have a deq and 2 dcx2496's I am getting ready to mod all of them ,they will work together in my system trying to stay digital as far along as possible,I for one would be interested in your tests and recommendations of what to upgrade and the results from these mods,I have read on this site that alot of folks are replacing the PS,DAC,regs and other output mods what is your mod list?
What mods do you think improved the sound the best?
Thanks alot,:D
NS

Last edited:
Just wondering if I could get some guidance as to optimum placement of some high end caps on the main board with the DAC. I'm going transformer direct out so giving the dac chip as much love as possible is job one. I also have the older version board.

Here are the options:
Black Gate NX series HI-Q 22u 6.3v ** Only have 2 **
Oscon 47uf and 180uf
and
Elna Simlic II and Panasonic FC all values on hand...

My primary goal is placing the right cap on the correct location based on qualities of each cap.

Thanks

PETEFRONTIERS I'm using R7 top side closest to the connector as spdif input.

Just wondering if I could get some guidance as to optimum placement of some high end caps on the main board with the DAC. I'm going transformer direct out so giving the dac chip as much love as possible is job one. I also have the older version board.

Here are the options:
Black Gate NX series HI-Q 22u 6.3v ** Only have 2 **
Oscon 47uf and 180uf
and
Elna Simlic II and Panasonic FC all values on hand...

My primary goal is placing the right cap on the correct location based on qualities of each cap.

Thanks

PETEFRONTIERS I'm using R7 top side closest to the connector as spdif input.

Thanks for telling the location for the spdif input. I will try it.

For the caps on the main board, You should change C2, C3, C10, C11 and C20. These caps are filtering the voltage feeding critical chips. I went with 15 uF - 25V Oscon caps but you can put what fits in if they are better than original 10 uF caps

Attachments

• 20140701_205209.jpg
    20140701_205209.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 356
DEQ 2496 for hearing impaired (deaf) musician***

I purchased one of these deq 2496 so I could use compression and eq to mimic the functions of my speech engineered hearing aids. This is definately a basic hearing aid processor in a box, Because with the limiter and compressor and dynamic eq, I can listen to my own musical compositions again without blowing out my ears.

I do wish to do the low distortion aux output mod (will be using aux out into a generic headphone amp) and heat sink the right chips and maybe do some Cap upgrades.

Theres a guy in England who has an aux output mod kit and im trying to reach him but havent been successful and wonder if there are less invasive ways of adding protection to the caps or improving the output. I do know how to attach a mini cooling fan near the supply and heatsink a chip.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just wondering if I could get some guidance as to optimum placement of some high end caps on the main board with the DAC.
Sorry I missed this one. I would steer clear of the Blackgate caps, they don't have low ESR at higher frequencies. I don't think they are suited for digital or Class-D circuits.

The Oscons should be fine. I use Panasonic FM series caps which are well suited to this use. Don't remember what values I've used, but about triple what was in there but same lead spacing. Seemed to help dynamics. Definitely put them on the analog power pins.
You can use them near the voltage regulators, too. 5V analog is the place to start.

The transformer output is my preferred method. Really works for me.

DEQ 2496 for hearing impaired (deaf) musician***

Hi, what do you mean by transformer method?

My unit, currently, is stock, no mods yet.

Is there a way to get L/R aux analog audio out direct from transformer? Do u have any pics? I will not be using XLR but the 1/4 inch phone jacks for aux into my headphone amp. The headphone amp accepts standard line level inputs. I would like a non distorted way to input into the headphone amp. (prefer not to "mod the behringer") until the factory warrantee expires.

Are there parts needed? Schematic?

I may be using spdif out when I purchase a spdif D/A converter headphone amp but would like to use my analog headphone amp.

Im using the DEQ 2496 like a hearing aid (to replace hearing aid functions
other than amplification) so I can protect my ears with limiter and compressor, so I will be relying on this. I ordered a power supply for it from pilgham audio , but also would like to do the output mod at some point, perhaps when warrantee is up...:eek::eek: Marc...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The transformer output mod throws away the stock output circuit made of opamps. Instead it uses 1:1 or similar) line level transformers connected directly to the DAC chip. This has some advantages, like easy removal of the DC bias on the chip, galvanometric isolation, reduction of common mode noise and other things. Good transformers are not small, not are they cheap. But I find it worthwhile.

There are pic and descriptions over in the main DCX thread.

Hi all,
I need the main connector pinout if someone has it I would appreciate a copy,
I am wanting to go digital in ,I have a board that has usb in and I2s out,but the standard aes will do, I just don't know the correct pins to use and I also would like to have the mike input for RTA,
I also need the digital out pins of the DEQ to connect to the input pins 1and 2 on a dcx.
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks,
NS

Hi Pano,:D
Yes the biggest one X1 ,But I looked at the data sheet for ak4114 and it has a spdif in and out pins, I hope to try those locations and see if it works as planed,I found stef had found some of the pins but not all in this thread.
I would like to find the digital in and out circuits, I would like to connect the digi out of the DEQ to the DCX digi in,I do not want any XLR connectors or cables just a twisted pair if the levels are close enough.
I want to retain the RTA mike in, I can make a preamp ,but need pin #'s.
What you building these days?
Thanks for the help!:)
NS

Attachments

• Connector  X1 partical.png
    Connector X1 partical.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, I see what you mean but don't know why you want to do it. I used both the digital XLR and Toslink inputs with no problem at all. I made a very short XLR-XLR jumper of CAT-5 cable to connect the DEQ to the DCX. Again, no hint of a problem.

Sometimes, the built in stuff works quite well. :)

I2S output from DEQ2496?

Have been using the DEQ happily for many years, can't do without it for room EQ.

I2S DACs featuring AK4495 are now available cheaply. So I'd like to know how to provide an I2S output from the DEQ. Where do I tap the signal, and do I need to cut any lines that will render the onboard DAC chip or any of the spdif outputs inoperative?

Thanks.

Attempting to resurrect this terrific thread back from the grave. Trying to figure out why my pink noise generator has cut out on my recently acquired DEQ2496 and now sounds like an intermittent, loose speaker wire connection. This prevents me from auto eq-ing, which is a huge reason why I bought the DEQ2496. Any ideas what to look for or what has gone wrong?

I just successfully recapped 100% of the cheap "waiting to fail" chinese electrolytics on all three boards with quality elna, panasonic and nichicon caps and it did not restore functionality of the pink noise as I had hoped it might. It also has nothing to do with the gain level on the pink noise as that is turned all the way up and it is still too quiet, but more importantly the pink noise itself is cutting in/out so bad it can no longer achieve a successful autoEQ.

Any ideas? I heard rumors that removing the muting transistors could possibly help with this issue but I cannot locate them anywhere. Any help is appreciated. It's been a great EQ otherwise as I've only been using it the digital domain thus far and have no complaints on sound quality. Thanks.