Mod for DVD player Hi-Rez stereo PCM output - SACD DVD-A HDCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I looked at an Oppo 980 once. I didn't see a good place to solder wires. The DAC chip in that model has pins on 0.5mm centers.

That is too small to solder wires on to. I could maybe solder one wire on to a 0.5mm pin, but you will have to solder on to 3 or 4 pins in a row. Good luck with that if you try it.

The Oppo 981 is much easier. It has a connector with the signals labelled.

I modded one of the Oppo981s with a 110 ohm cable. That Oppo981 has a hard-wired cable. I didn't attempt to install an XLR connector in the back of the Oppo. I drilled a hole, put in a bushing and strain relief, and connected the wires to the add-in board. The other end of the cable has a proper XLR connector.

The receiving end needs to be terminated with a 110 ohm resistor.

I guess since I would be using the digital out, the 980 really has no advantages over the 981 (besides the price) right?

I'm wondering if it's possible to use an XLR connector with the twisted pear pcb. I see where it has the SPDIF out and ground connections, but how would that map to the XLR connector and would I need a 110ohm resistor somewhere here? (I guess it wouldn't be a true balanced connection correct?)

You will have to modify the TP board a little bit. Remove the 210 and 110 ohm resistors on the output of the Wolfson chip. put in a 47 ohm resistor where the 210 ohm resistor was.

Then get a digital audio transformer and connect the primary to the SPDIF outs of the TP board and the secondary to the XLR connector.

PE-65612 from Mouser http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=jQfFj0%2bz52LalKdxQ4le9A==

SPDIF + goes to pin 2 on the XLR
SPDIF - goes to pin 3 on the XLR
The XLR pin 1 is the shield ground.

The 110 ohm termination is on the receiving end.

MrMajestic said:
Any updates on this player? Was going to get it, but not sure after the clipping reports. Maybe I will get a Denon DVD-2910 and mod it to put out DSD to a Buffalo DAC from TP instead.

I would very strongly suggest the Denon DVD-1920 to mod over the DVD-2910 as it is a much easier (and cheaper) unit to mod to get DSD out.

Cheers!
Russ

talkinghead said:
Has it been any updates on the clipping problem with SACD disks on Oppo 981 or am I better of modifying a Denon player. If so what modell should I aim for, it looks like the Denon 1920 is retired, is the 1940 possible to mod?

Thanks

Benny

No news from Oppo. The last I heard, months ago, they had forwarded the issue on to Mediatek to see if MT can advise on making a firmware change.

Since then, Oppo issued a new 981 firmware that was supposed to allow the laser to read a wider variety of dvd recordable disc types. It actually made it worse for reading the SACD layer of hybrid discs. I complained about that issue and Oppo advised me to flash back to the firmware released in October 2007.

rossl said:

No news from Oppo. The last I heard, months ago, they had forwarded the issue on to Mediatek to see if MT can advise on making a firmware change.

Since then, Oppo issued a new 981 firmware that was supposed to allow the laser to read a wider variety of dvd recordable disc types. It actually made it worse for reading the SACD layer of hybrid discs. I complained about that issue and Oppo advised me to flash back to the firmware released in October 2007.

Looks like its off to Ebay to find a Denon instead.

directly coax signal from denon to external dac

Hello

I got a Denon DVD player 1920 model and a diy DAC from this page:

http://www.ezdiyaudio.com/#ezDAC

Did someone try to send a "clean" coax signal from denon 1920, by only using CS8406 transmitter to an external dac? (like ezdac mentioned above)

summary:
Is it done by taking signals from the mit processor pin 213 ,214 and 222?? and fed it into a cs8406 ->coax -> ezdac?

Best Regards
Kim

Hi Ross,

I have an Oppo-981 player and I'm really interested of doing the mod your recommending. I tried to access your website, posted on the 3rd page of the thread to see the pictures and illustration but it's no longer working. Do you still have the pcb's available and also an instruction manual in performing the mod?

I was actually planning to buy a DAC that I can connect to the Coaxial SPDIF output of the Oppo but good thing I ran thru this thread that it won't do any good of upsampling to 192Khz, as to what I understand. I could have just waisted money and time investing to it. Please let me know

Thanks,

Fred

Ross, thanks for your reply. I tried to access your website, http://home.roadrunner.com/~rossl/images/mod/ but it gives me this error;

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~rossl/images/mod/ on this server.

It seems restricted and needs access information.

I might try your suggestion or maybe just build a DAC and buy a CD transport to hook up with.

Have you tried the newer Oppo players? Does it have a better DAC chip builtin on it? Would you consider it an audiophile caliber? Your thoughts.

Fred

You will have to edit each link to make it work.

For example, post #83 in this thread has the following link to an image:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rossl/images/mod/revc_mod3.jpg

You need to edit the first part of the URL to make it work:

change the URL to:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rossl/images/mod/revc_mod3.jpg

~~~~~

I haven't listened to any of the new Oppos. I don't consider them to be audiophile caliber. The Cirrus Logic DAC chip in the 981 achieves only 95dB THD. Practically any external DAC will sound better.

Ross,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to ask your opinion about CDRPro2, Philips CD transport, since you have a lot of experience on DACs, Hi-rez cd and dvd players. What would you think will be a good matching DAC for this cd transport. There's a lot of existing DAC now on the market and internet which claims to have a good performance and low jitter, with some of them with combination of tube (Hybrid) and some with the best clocking and good PSU, which makes sometimes makes me confuse.

Is it better to get I2s signal from the CD transport than SPDIF output to feed it to a DAC? :xeye:

Your thoughts?

Fred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.