Mod for DVD player Hi-Rez stereo PCM output - SACD DVD-A HDCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK here are some statistics.

I recorded in 18 minutes 39 seconds of the Stevie Ray - Japanese SACD and then used the analysis function from Adobe Audition 1.5

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Following is 7 minutes 15 seconds of Synchronicity SACD.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Stevie Ray actually isn't that bad. 195 clipped samples in 18 minutes.

The Police is much worse. It seems like the cymbal hits are clipped through a lot of it.

I think we will have to contact Oppo and see what they say.

The more people who contact them about it, the better it will be :D

Ross,
Thanks for going to the effort to confirm the clipping issue with waveform capture. I haven't had much spare time this weekend to investigate further.

To be fair, I have backed up about 30 DVD-Audio discs, and many of them exhibit occasional clipping, and it's usually not audible. The difference here is that the SACD format was designed not to have this problem. So it was quite a surprise when audible clipping showed up on my first SACD recording from the Oppo (track 1 on CAN's Future Days). An analog capture of that infamous SRV "slap on the drums" on track 2 from a DSD native DAC would probably reveal some nicely peaked waveforms.

Let everyone here know who to bug at Oppo and we'll start the campaign to get it fixed.

I think the clipping may just be from over-enthusiastic engineers.

I have a new release RBCD from Telarc which one track has been remastered 6dB louder than the original 1984 release of the same track, and 24dB more noise floor, also lots of clipping. The engineer when questioned insisted that it was the same master and nothing had been changed. I showed the evidence and he was rude and arrogant in reply.

The problem it seems, is that I know nothing of audio (according to him), and that engineer cannot see (or hear ) anything wrong with what he has done.

Disappointing, but it seems common these days.

If, however, there is something which can be fixed with the Oppo firmware, I'm in for an update :)

what about reading the digital out with the volume reduced? is the clipping reduced with the volume?

The clipping problem has been confirmed on several 2-channel SACDs. I haven't investigated any multichannel downmixes.

Just a quick update: I've backed up a few more 2-channel SACDs, and nearly all of them exhibit some clipping. Some examples:

The Rolling Stones: Beggar's Banquet
Willie Nelson: Stardust
Ray Sings, Basie Swings
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon (very slight)

Out of this latest batch, only Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Peter Gabriel's So are "keepers". The clipping effect on the others is usually not audible, but it shouldn't be tolerated either.

The reason why this is probably not due to overly enthusiastic mastering engineers is because the CD layers of the hybrid SACDs I've examined don't show any clipping. I'm still planning to do an analog capture of some "hot" SACDs from another SACD player to see if any clipping is present.

Oppo DV-983

I was just looking at a picture of the audio section in the new Oppo.

http://www.prillaman.net/image/oppo983_int05.jpg

Anyone get their hands on one of these yet? I would like to see some better pics.

It has a different DAC chip from the other Oppos. The CS4361.

The CS4361 is a TSSOP-20 with pins on 0.65mm centers, so it may be easier to solder wires onto this part compared to the other Oppos.

Ok, I got a prompt reply. Looks like it's up to Mediatek to provide a remedy, if there is one.

"We have forwarded this issue to the SACD decoder chip manufacturer Mediatek while the problem was first reported to us. They will review what the cause of the clipping is. So far we have not heard back from them, so we do not know the status of the repair possibilities.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

Hi,

I've read through the thread, and I must say this is definitely something I want to try to implement. With the twisted pear board, it looks like the only soldering that needs to be done is on the oppo PCB am I correct? Also, I'm wondering if anyone has done this for the oppo 980 model, and if so, could you outline the places where connections need to be made? And my last question would be whether it was possible to use the twisted pear pcb and use a AES connection instead of coax? (is there an issue because AES is 110ohm vs 75ohm coax?)

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.