Mod for DVD player Hi-Rez stereo PCM output - SACD DVD-A HDCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Fred,

I haven't tried the CD Pro2. I have a good collection of SACD and DVD-Audio, so that's why I went with modding a universal DVD player.

I built my own DAC. It is based on the Sabre8 Reference DAC chip.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117238&perpage=25&pagenumber=41

It is a lot of work to build your own. if you are not into building one, there is a lot of good used equipment on Audiogon.com.

You can get some good deals over there.

Read a lot of reviews before you buy something.

Has anyone checked out the 3x s/pdif transceiver boards from
Shawn Fogg at
http://www.switch-box.com/3x_S_PDIF_Transceiver_(In_Out)_board.html

There is a 3x and 4x version. He no longer installs them in
players, but he used to have info on installing them in the
Oppos. I asked him about the clipping issue and he said that
he hasn't observed clipping in the DV980H unless the speaker
trim is raised, in which case it will clip on 0dbfs signals.

There is general installation info at
http://www.switch-box.com/S_PDIF_General_Installation.html

Joined 2009
Paid Member
fredlock said:
Ross,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to ask your opinion about CDRPro2, Philips CD transport, since you have a lot of experience on DACs, Hi-rez cd and dvd players. What would you think will be a good matching DAC for this cd transport. There's a lot of existing DAC now on the market and internet which claims to have a good performance and low jitter, with some of them with combination of tube (Hybrid) and some with the best clocking and good PSU, which makes sometimes makes me confuse.

Is it better to get I2s signal from the CD transport than SPDIF output to feed it to a DAC? :xeye:

Your thoughts?

Fred

You could have a look at the new SS I/V stage that Yeo at diyparadise seem to be about to come out with (look in the forum). Its kind of like an half a monica3 that takes EIAJ signal which your CDRpro2 can be programmed to output. I'm going to try this.
Cheers

I am interesting in modifying Oppo 981 or getting modified already.
I see that Ross does not have any PCB left.

Does any one would recommend where would be possible to modify Oppo 981 or even buy it already modified?
Or lets put in this way, what would be the most optimal solution to have DVD-A player outputting audio as PCM 24bit 96kHz through SPDIF to an external DAC?

I would appreciate for your advises.

George

rokoko said:
I am interesting in modifying Oppo 981 or getting modified already.
I see that Ross does not have any PCB left.

Does any one would recommend where would be possible to modify Oppo 981 or even buy it already modified?
Or lets put in this way, what would be the most optimal solution to have DVD-A player outputting audio as PCM 24bit 96kHz through SPDIF to an external DAC?

I would appreciate for your advises.

George

Hi George,
You can use this board as an output module. There is description on this thread on how to wire it and set it up.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/wm8804.aspx

Ronen

Would be possible to use this board and modify Arcam DV139 DVD plaer. I own this player but do not like how it sounds by using internal D to A encoding and outputing through analog outputs to pre/pro.
A few options left, buy Oppo 981 and modify or modify Arcam DV139.
Does any one has experience with with Arcam DV139 DVD player?

HDMI audio stripper idea did not work for me.
I am going back to focus on “S/PDIF (WM8804) Receiver Module” from the twistedpearaudio.com and wire it in to my DV139 player.

My question is, if I want more accurate clock, I assume that Receiver Module has the regular one, not the low jitter, should I also use the “Metronome ASRC Module with 24.576MHz Crystek” and how to connected it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.